Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've been using Yamalube full synthetic 0-40 ever since break in. No troubles, smoking, or oil use so far at 9000+ miles.
The parts counter sales lady at the dealership always is a little puzzled as to why I'm using snowmobile oil in an ATV.
I Just bought Yamaha full synthetic snowmobile 0W40 engine oil yesterday for my 2019 Grizzly 700.My reasoning was for cold weather starting during the deer hunt in November .I haven't changed the oil yet but had an after thought
The oil rating is SL not Jaso .So is this oil safe for the wet clutch?

·
Registered
496 Posts
I Just bought Yamaha full synthetic snowmobile 0W40 engine oil yesterday for my 2019 Grizzly 700.My reasoning was for cold weather starting during the deer hunt in November .I haven't changed the oil yet but had an after thought
Typically the snowmobile oil is Not safe for wet clutch's and is why its marked SL and not JASO. Snowmobiles do not use wet clutch's. If you want a lighter weight full synthetic oil look at AMS oil, Motul oil, or Mobile 1 4T for motorcycles.

Reactions: KodiakAfishyo

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
X2 don't risk using the wrong oils.

Heck my old 09 Grizzly had no problems starting in -25c with plain 10w40 Yamalube. I think you ll be fine for deer hunting...

Reactions: Zrt1200

·
Registered
2017 Kodiak 700 ESP SE
594 Posts
If it’s a 0w-40 your looking for Amsoil makes a ATV 0w-40 full synthetic. They also have full synthetic ATV 10w-40 that works well in winter also. I have use both in my machines. Both are of course wet clutch JASO rated.

·
Registered
212 Posts
From my experience, yes it's safe for the wet clutch. I have logged over 10,000 miles using nothing but the "Ester" based true full synthetic Yamalub 0-40 snowmobile oil. It's a Group 5 Base fluid type, not a Base 3 or Base 4.

Base Fluid Types
"Esters generally form strong films on metal surfaces resulting in a natural anti-wear property"
"Group III base oils are commonly referred to as “synthetic” and are legally allowed to be marketed as synthetic, but regardless of that fact, they are still refined crude oil"
"The only true synthetic oils are groups IV and V base oils"

“True” Synthetic or “Fake” Synthetic
My opinion for what it's worth is that synthetics like Amsoil, Mobile, Rottella, etc. are probably a Group base 4 POA oil. They don't really say.

My advice for what it's worth is If your worried about the non JASO rating and can't get a refund then go ahead and use it until the next oil change.

·
Premium Member
10,639 Posts
:)
Syn. oils were developed for high heat applications, much higher than the griz operates at. And most syn oils use a base that is overwhelmingly crude oil based. Use what you like, both work well.
Then a syn oil rated 0 vis. is just like a dino rated at 0 vis. I use dino oil during the winter down to -30f with no problem other than the first cold start of the day, which requires ether because the A/F mix is not exactly right. I can't pump enough raw gas into the intake for an easy start like with an old carbed truck, the oil does not keep the engine from spinning as needed.

Reactions: dezz

·
Registered
39 Posts
I run 0w-40 full syn RTX year round from my auto parts store, wet cluch and approved for ATV use at a cost thats more than half the price of yamalube dino oil . 9500+ kms so far no issues yet. If I couldn't get this smokin deal then AMS OIL would be my next choice.

·
Registered
2020 kodiak 450SE
32 Posts
I run whatever the dealer gives me, BUT my purchasing from the dealer is strictly for warranty purposes. Once that warranty is up I'm buying everything elsewhere for much cheaper lol.

·
Registered
2017 Kodiak 700 ESP SE
594 Posts
Amsoil has a new ATV/UTV oil it is a all season 5w-50

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
This is what I'm running currently. Though I've had great results with plain Yamalube 10w40 atv oil threw every cold northern Ontario winter.

Hopefully this synthetic version gives simular results

Attachments

21 - 31 of 31 Posts