Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my son a 2020 kodiak 450. serviced at 480 kms and 13 kms later the motor broke down, no light on prior. The big end bearing on the crank shaft seized causing the rod to snap and puncture a hole in the top end. This only happens from oil starvation or bad oil I am told.
My question is!! Is there not a low oil or check engine light? Something to protect the engine.
Yamaha has denied my claim for warranty coverage even though the machine is 2/3 months old, Hardly had 20 hrs on machine.
Post deployment gift for my son as I am Military hasn’t gone so well.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear this.... Even worse Yamaha will not cover it. Very Disappointing

·
Registered
2020 kodiak 450SE
73 Posts
Call yamaha back, suggest they honor their factory warranty or you'll be in touch with a lawyer.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I bought my son a 2020 kodiak 450. serviced at 480 kms and 13 kms later the motor broke down, no light on prior. The big end bearing on the crank shaft seized causing the rod to snap and puncture a hole in the top end. This only happens from oil starvation or bad oil I am told.
My question is!! Is there not a low oil or check engine light? Something to protect the engine.
Yamaha has denied my claim for warranty coverage even though the machine is 2/3 months old, Hardly had 20 hrs on machine.
Post deployment gift for my son as I am Military hasn’t gone so well.
Call yamaha back, suggest they honor their factory warranty or you'll be in touch with a lawyer.
Brutal for a huge company not to cover this type of engine failure. Those atv are supposed to be bullet proof.

·
Premium Member
10,958 Posts
Welcome from Colorado.
So......you're telling us Yamaha doesn't have a warranty in Canada? Or, your selling deal refuses to honor a warranty provided by the manufacturer?
Are/Did you take it back to the selling dealer? or buy at the lowest price, not the closest dealer?
In this country, not honoring the warranty has consequences. there are ways a dealer can try to get around a warranty, but I'm not sure what happens there, so my questions above.
As for a light on your bike, look in the owners manual.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Is the denial base on the statement that such a failure can only be caused by oil starvation? Did the selling dealer that sold it to you do the service 13km prior to the engine blowing up? If so, there is your most likely satisfaction.

If there was oil in the engine before it blew up, its still in there since the hole is in the top of the engine. If that’s the case, it would seem Yamaha would have no reason to deny the claim, in which case I’d talk with an lawyer since these bikes are in the USD $10k range and likelybit higher if you’re in Canada.

I suppose your dealer is the one saying Yamaha is denying the claim? If so, check that story directly with Yamaha, get a service request or case number from the dealer. I suspect the dealer might just not want to deal with it.

Sometimes people lie about money.

I did some math, this bike’s average speed has been about 15 mph. Which “seems” a bit high as an average for the break in period, although it certainly wouldn’t seem to be related to this failure. Most sport utility quads I’ve been around and have seen listed for sale generally have a lifetime average speed of around 10 mph, give it take a couple mph.

To put that in perspective, my work truck has 60k miles on it with about 90% of those miles on highways with speed limits at 55 and 65 mph (generally driven at 65-70 mph) and the lifetime average speed is about 42 mph, so not as fast as one might think. I have a few cars in my family, similar types of driving, similar stats.

Anyhow, I hope you get favorable resolution out of this disappointing situation.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
directly with Yamaha, get a service request or case number from the dealer. I suspect the dealer might just not want to deal with it.
So there is a warranty In Canada. The service was done at a different motorsports Location. I brought the machine back to where I bought it. They are saying Yamaha has denied the claim because the other location used a Kawasaki oil filter and didn’t replace the drain plug and the oil wasn’t changed at 240km. I did the service at 480 as my cottage is remote. There was oil in the machine the whole time. I can’t say what was in there after the service. I can say the cost to fix this Engine is almost the same as the machine brand new. I haven’t spoken to Yamaha yet. This just happened.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Call Yamaha directly. Don’t trust the dealer. Like ToyFord said, the dealer just might not want to deal with it. My friend just went through that with his 2018 Grizzly. Burned oil like crazy with that 708. His dealer laughed at him when he asked them about rebuilding the engine under warranty Because it had too many kms (6800) I brought it up with my dealer and he told me kms didn’t mean anything, either the VIN was on the list or it wasn’t. Engine was done last week under warranty. I can’t believe that Yamaha wouldn’t honour warranty on a bike with less than 500kms on it. I suspect your dealer is just too lazy or doesn’t have the ability to do the work.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Well, seems you know the cause “...didn’t replace the drain plug...” I can’t see Yamaha stepping up for that. Using the right filter and a hundred oil changes wouldn’t counter act that.

Probably need to see what the shop that did the oil change has to say. I’m willing to bet they have no interest in making it right and they are sure it left their shop with a drain plug and oil.

If you financed it, I wonder if there’s any chance the lien holder would have made you take out an insurance policy as part of the deal that might.... cover this loss? Wishful thinking, I’m sure.

This is one of the reasons I do all of the work I’m capable of on my equipment and I check everything I can after the fact if someone else services it. Someone getting paid minimum wage and has 6 minutes to do the job before they get in trouble by the boss for being too slow doesn’t have quite as much interest in my equipment as I do.

Sorry about your bad luck on this deal. I hope you can get some relief in one direction or another.

·
Premium Member
3,195 Posts
Yeah call yamaha

Reactions: mike minno

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ok, I missed post #7. You might be in a bit of a pickle there. Servicing it outside the dealer under warranty might be a problem. But I’d still see if they’d be willing to help you out to some degree. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
10,958 Posts
I don't know crap about Canada, but here there are no exclusions for warranty coverage on motor vehicles, you break it they fix it, unless its proven to be an intentional act to make a failure happen. I have decades of manufacture experience in this area, and I'm not looking for an argument, just throwing out an idea so you look at this from both sides of the fence.
Your first problem is letting a cheap-skate outfit service your bike. I don't care the reason, but you did not do the work your self or take it to the Yamaha guy so look at it from their side of the fence.
Then here, part of the warranty work expense is paid by the dealer. I can promise you this, if you take your business elsewhere and want me to fix something that goes wrong, you're barking up the wrong tree.
Now that you told them the situation, this is one time the truth bit you in the ass, kind'a'.
Now an argument is started, over the wrong oil filter or something about no drain plug, but there's oil in the bottom end.
I know here your claim is with the one causing the problem, and in your situation its not the manufacture, but the dumb-ass you took it to for service.
Now that your mistake is recorded by Yamaha Canada, you may have to get the service shop to pay. I don't suggest you piss off Yamaha, they may be your best witness against the private shop that screwed up your bike.
This is a good lesson for others, do your own work or take your chances with low bid. Hopefully you kept the receipt for the work done.

·
Registered
2017 Grizzly
355 Posts
Here in the US one can go to Small Claims Court vs. hiring an attorney, with enough documentation and facts perhaps an option in Canada?, also possible that shop has some sort of insurance carrier that might agree to a settlement. Good luck.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Ok, I missed post #7. You might be in a bit of a pickle there. Servicing it outside the dealer under warranty might be a problem. But I’d still see if they’d be willing to help you out to some degree. Good luck!
Zero issues using a place other than dealer while under warranty. Even Yamaha's 20 year engine warranty allows you to do the work yourself. Just need receipts for products used and document the date and milage.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
10,958 Posts
What do you think the chances are of the dealer documenting an engine without a drain plug coming in for warranty work?
In this country the maintenance is recommended, not demanded, and does not have to be done at a dealer. This was tested and proven in court.
The issue is bad work causing the failure, not manufacturer material or workmanship.
I would have a buddy contact the side-shop and question about insurance/bond for liability against poor workmanship.

·
Premium Member
8,027 Posts
So there is a warranty In Canada. The service was done at a different motorsports Location. I brought the machine back to where I bought it. They are saying Yamaha has denied the claim because the other location used a Kawasaki oil filter and didn’t replace the drain plug and the oil wasn’t changed at 240km. I did the service at 480 as my cottage is remote. There was oil in the machine the whole time. I can’t say what was in there after the service. I can say the cost to fix this Engine is almost the same as the machine brand new. I haven’t spoken to Yamaha yet. This just happened.
If I understand what you are saying is the machine blew after you personally did the last oil/filter change. Do I have that right? So you used the Kawi filter. Which really does not matter as these filters fit a multitude of machines. What does matter is the alleged missing drain plug.
Since I have been a member of this forum I have heard/read of more than one person that didn't tighten the drain plug properly.

·
Premium Member
669 Posts
Ok, This is kinda F#%ked up, first, as long as the motorsports place you took your machine to has a professional mech in their service department that should be fine by Yamaha, as for the Kawi filter..why would you put that on your motor under warranty? YAMAHA ONLY filters while under warranty, oil is another can of worms, so my understanding is that the oil plug fell out and you ran it 13kms and your motor locked after this motorsports place did the service for you? am I reading this right?

·
Registered
400 Posts
Ok, This is kinda F#%ked up, first, as long as the motorsports place you took your machine to has a professional mech in their service department that should be fine by Yamaha, as for the Kawi filter..why would you put that on your motor under warranty? YAMAHA ONLY filters while under warranty, oil is another can of worms, so my understanding is that the oil plug fell out and you ran it 13kms and your motor locked after this motorsports place did the service for you? am I reading this right?
Oil and filter brand under warranty or not, doesn't matter, provided it is comparable to OEM. Yamaha even states that. They don't make thier own oil and filters, it's made by the lowest bidder. As mentioned above, that same filter is used on multiple machines. Infact, cross reference on Wix site, and it's around 40 engines it fits.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
669 Posts
Really..Maybe Jayptree should call Kawasaki and see if they will cover his engine then, Yamaha has a specific inner filter design for their 4 stroke engines period! if you chose to use another brand while under warranty you are rolling the dice, you may never have a problem but if you do, challenge Yamaha it in court, pay a lawyer 20 grand to prove your right, fact of the matter, Just take it to your dealer and follow Yamaha's service schedule using their products while your new machine is under warranty, if Jayptree would have done this and had the same failure his engine would be rebuilt no problem.

1 - 20 of 100 Posts