Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all , I have been shopping around for a new quad for a while now and am looking for some unbiased opinions. The grizzly has been great but after 5 years I wouldn’t mind trying something different. I have it narrowed down to a Suzuki king quad 750 and a Kawasaki brute force 750. I use the quad mostly for plowing , towing a mower and trail riding. I like the idea of a twin 750 but I don’t know anybody that has had good luck with the Kawasaki but they were a rode hard and put a way wet to so idk if it’s a fair reflection of the quad. The Suzuki I just don’t know a whole bunch about and we don’t see them around here.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Been riding Dirtbikes then ATV's off and on since the 80's. We had pretty much every brand represented in our group of riders back in highschool and right after except Polaris. From what I've seen Yamaha has been the most trouble free, reliable and capable even though back then Honda was revered as the best.

I've had my Raptor since 2011 and a couple Grizzlies since 2012 and they have been trouble free and perform amazingly. We had a Polaris 50cc and a friend had a 90cc and I was not impressed with them. Son now rides the CFMoto 500 (I swear it's a Grizzly clone) and so far it has done great all though we haven't had it long.

From what I have read, most that switch over to non-Yamaha rides are happy for a little while then come back to them. YMMV.

Good luck with your decision and we'll watch for your review of what ever you do.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah , I know the grizzly is super reliable and mine has been fantastic for the 5 years I have owned it. I would like something with more power tho and maybe more fun to ride if that makes sense.

·
Registered
2017 Kodiak 700 ESP SE
304 Posts
Did you try any of the CVT mods that are mentioned a lot here that can make your Grizzly a lot faster?

·
Registered
358 Posts
yeah , I know the grizzly is super reliable and mine has been fantastic for the 5 years I have owned it. I would like something with more power tho and maybe more fun to ride if that makes sense.
More power?!? how big is the plow and mower? :)

Maybe I just ride tighter and more technical trails as I've never needed more power from either the Raptor or the Grizzly.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
More power?!? how big is the plow and mower? :)

Maybe I just ride tighter and more technical trails as I've never needed more power from either the Raptor or the Grizzly.
the utility end is great and I have zero complaints. We do a fair amount of winter riding here and the snow really slows it down And you need wheel speed to get anywhere in the snow. Mabey thinking to much into it lol . I ride with a lot of can-am 800’s/ 1000’s , brute force 750’s and it looks like fun when they are going by me ?.

·
Registered
358 Posts
the utility end is great and I have zero complaints. We do a fair amount of winter riding here and the snow really slows it down And you need wheel speed to get anywhere in the snow. Mabey thinking to much into it lol . I ride with a lot of can-am 800’s/ 1000’s , brute force 750’s and it looks like fun when they are going by me ?.
Ah, I see. Just to check, your throttle limiter screw hasn't been adjusted in has it? ;)
Our Grizzly can spin the tires very easily in the sand, I would think in the snow would be even easier. We got to ride last winter a couple days in shallow snow of 2-4 inches in MO. and we were spinning all 4 tires at will.

:unsure:..swap atv's with your buddies for a little while, I'm surprised they aren't ribbing you to do so. How has their reliability been?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I didt swap because it never came up to be honest. The reliability has been spotty My wife and I towed both can ams back last trip as the was only 4 of us . Pretty much ruined the trip screwing with those things the whole day . Was out with the brute forces twice and last year and ended up towing one out . With that being said I don’t think those we great examples of the brand as they were all machines that were ridden hard and not maintained well. I am not interested in a can am tho .

·
Registered
2017 Kodiak 700 ESP SE
304 Posts
I have road with friends that had CanAm 1000 and a polaris 1000, they never left me behind I was always able to stay with them with no problem and if they were behind me they never passed me. The only advantage they may have had would be top speed of more than 65 but around here the only place to go that fast is on the dirt roads.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Top speed according to the speedometer on the Grizz was 58 mph on flat blacktop, might have got a few more mph if the distance was longer. All stock as it was from dealer.
Never even come close to those speeds on the trails.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Can ams look cool. I think riding a 1000 would be a blast. Maybe you could get bigger badder tires, and keep the machine

I love the transmission on the Yamaha. and how easy they are to fix. very easy access to most places on the machine

·
Registered
205 Posts
You should be able to hit 65-66mph on the grizzly, I've had my kodiak doing 105kph+
Mind you there's no reason to do that on an atv, I like driving my vehicles fast, but on an atv, there's just no common sense reason to go that fast.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
7,541 Posts
Hello all , I have been shopping around for a new quad for a while now and am looking for some unbiased opinions. ......................
Too funny

·
Registered
84 Posts
I know Kawasaki supposedly fixed all the common problems on the brute force a few years ago. And the redesign of the king quad is supposed to be great . If it were me I would go and hang out on Kawasaki and Suzuki forums to see what those guys are saying.
As for doing the clutch mods and the quad being less reliable, I don’t see it. There’s so many on here and the kodiak forums that have done shims and spring mods with hundreds of miles on their machines with zero problems. Myself included..

·
Premium Member
9,502 Posts
I have tossed around the idea but my experience is once you start the mods the reliability is sacrificed.
Big H.P. does fix poor riding ability, I've ridden against the bigger twins and.....
We can't ride on the pavement where the higher speed can be used over long distance, so on the dirt roads around here a grizz keeps up and drifts the corners as well as the twins, then.....
On the trail around here the big twins suck! Maybe in the muskeg up north they do well, but here in the rocks is another thing.
The twins are lower to the ground and too heavier to keep up with the nimble Grizz that floats along, then with C.V.T. mods to enhance the over-all performance a Grizz can be unbelievable.
As for C.V.T. mods taking away from the reliability, if you add the wrong mod (there are different people selling different theory for machining) you can have a bad experience, and yes we have a had few members make a mistake during installation, but member here can help you going correctly.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Well for better or worse there’s a brute force sitting in my garage. I got a good deal on a 19 and very fair trade Value on my grizzly( what I was asking private sale) . I figure your only going this way once might as well try a few different things. We still got the kodiak 700 to tow me out lol. I’ll take it on a good run tomorrow and see how it does.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Well for better or worse there’s a brute force sitting in my garage. I got a good deal on a 19 and very fair trade Value on my grizzly( what I was asking private sale) . I figure your only going this way once might as well try a few different things. We still got the kodiak 700 to tow me out lol. I’ll take it on a good run tomorrow and see how it does.
well let us know how you like it and from what I understand as long as one doesn't mod a brute force it’s a decent quad.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Too funny
Most people have a favourite brand. That’s why we are all here but most people are capable of giving unbiased opinions no matter what the brand. Then the are the fan boys that only believe their brand is the best and none others exist.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well had it out on its maiden voyage today. Went about 30km that’s about all I could last because it’s still like -20c here and it gets cold in a hurry. First impressions are it seems like it has way my get up and go but that’s the only positive I see right now. The cvt works well but is noise and the grizzly is definitely my comfortable to ride . It’s not a bad ride by any stretch and I haven’t adjusted the suspension yet so we’ll see. Got to get the break in done as I can only go 1/2 throttle right now.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts