Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 Kodiak 450 and the EPS control module is toast. A new one is expensive and not much in the way of used at a good price either. The EPS motor is still good so I was thinking why not sell that? If I removed it what would I need to make sure the Kodiak has the right parts as if it was a non EPS model?

·
Registered
5,543 Posts
Never heard of anybody wanting to go backwards. This is a first.

You are not going to save or make any money selling the EPS motor. You'll need to replace other parts that will more than likely equal (or be more) than you can sell the EPS motor for.

Your just better off riding your Kodiak the way it is.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
This is just a hypothetical question, but could you just power the unit so it is full on all the time? At least you get power steering this way. While not ideal, especially at speed, that is how Polaris's are, and most Polaris owners are still alive.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
From what I understand the EPS motor needs input from the EPS control unit which in turn talks to speed sensor etc. to determine the right amount of torque. Without the control unit in place it won't work.

I guess I'll leave as is and keep my eye on a new control unit on ebay as they come up. I bought the bike for a good price knowing that EPS wasn't working...didn't know the control unit was toast until I started troubleshooting. It would be nice to get working for resale as I plan on doing that next year...but no big deal in the grand scheme of things.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
I say ride it as is for now, and keep an eye out for an eps controller. It will be worth the wait in the end, and realisticly you have nothing to lose. Added bonus is you'll easily make you money back on the controller if you ever decided to sell the bike. Just my 2 cents.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts