Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2016 EPS, basically brand new with under 400 km's.

Since the day I picked it up, the coolant in my overflow reservoir has always been just below the "Low" line. No problem, I think it was the same on my 2014 the entire time I had it.

Anyway, I wanted to top it up to the full line (cool engine of course) and bought some "Yamacool" coolant at my dealer. It's a 60 / 40 mix and it's "Blue", the coolant in my reservoir is "Green".

Stupid question, Does the colour matter?

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I've gotten to the point where antifreeze compatibility with mixing is something that I will never understand.

Though I recently just stumbled upon "PEAK GLOBAL LIFETIME PREMIUM" and started reading up on it. Sounds like it is truly compatible with everything out there. Have to replace the thermostat in my commuter car this week so I'll be switching that over, and eventually all of my vehicles including the Grizzly.

·
Registered
365 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I’ve read that some mixing can cause gelling in your system.
I have also heard from mechanics that say it won’t hurt anything, it’ll just reduce the good stuff to the specs of the bad stuff.
I mixed orange and green in an bottle and put it on the shelf In my garage. Did it for an experiment to prove to my Canam warranty counter worker friend, that it won’t gel. He swore up down and sideways that canam says it will gel. It’s still there 2 years later, no gel. Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: wheelsquad

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
800 Posts
Ok thanks. Looks like Yamacool is the same stuff (Ethlene glycol) as what is in it already, just a different colour. The amount I used to top it up was pretty small, just about 1/2 cup.
The problem with mixing coolant started when someone dumps green in with red You know what color that makes antifreeze? Redish brown, you know what else is redish brown? Rust. So the next time you serivce it and forgot that you mixed the coolant you freak because you think something in the system is rusty. In the end it is always just better to drain all the old stuff, do a quick rinse with water and then put the new stuff in. My Grizzly has just good old green antifreeze in it and runs just fine. Never heard of it jelling up. Green is cheaper anyway and does the same job.

Sent from my Z971 using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts