Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know i know its not good to go out by yourself when its just over 20 degrees with lots of snow, a grizz with over 7k "ridden hard" miles with about worn out growlers on her, and up to 8k ft in elevation 50+ miles away from the truck as fast as i could but i just needed some time to myself to go do some wolf hunting :peace:. I saw a TON of tracks today but couldn't call anything in. :( I hiked about 5 miles today in 4-15 inches of snow getting out on a few ridges to call a long ways from the wheeler and any trails. Had a great day even though i got skunked!!

I haven't posted pic in a while thought i'd put a few up from Mill Creek Summit in ID and the west mountain trails.

I hiked down this ravine and followed that creek a good mile and a half before i set up my second call for the day. Awesome hike though the snow but didn't call anything in but a few huge birds

And a few random shots of the grizz in the snow.

Hope everyone else is having a great weekend!! :happy: I'm just puttin a few back and thawing out the grizz for tomorrows ride in the snow haha :banana:

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Thanks for the pics Dag!!! looks like a good time ... better luck tomorrow

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah tomorrow i'm leaving the gun "rifle that is always gotta carry a little somethin with ya :)" at home, one of the fuel tanks and some of the gear. I'm heading out with a few buddy's and its game on... I suppose i'll be takin the helmet for tomorrows ride haha..

Glad to see your out having some fun in the snow to .. honestly its my favorite time of year!!

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll go hunting next weekend ... tomorrow is full on play time!!

·
Premium Member
3,073 Posts
Nice pics dag, sometimes solo trips are the difference between going or not and I would choose go also.

·
Premium Member
9,489 Posts
Nice to see pictures of BIG COUNTRY and no recent tracks in the snow. I bet the pictures aren't as good as being there, at least mine don't seem to be.
The long walks could have got you in more trouble than a 7000 mile grizzly 50 miles from the truck, but you have the memories forever.
Thanks for sharing.

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the comments guys, here's a couple more pics from Sunday.. was pretty much 100% throttle 4x4 low locked fighting through the snow a good portion of the day getting through it.. didn't have time to pull out the phone and take many pics. There were 4 of us and we hit the snowy trails pretty hard.. 57 miles and i was blinking empty.. was drinkin the fuel no doubt. Its raining right now and i think we are supposed to have 6 inches of snow come morning so i'm sure its dumping more than that in the mountains. :)

it sure was a nice weekend to be out and about!!

·
Registered
47 Posts
thanks for the comments guys, here's a couple more pics from Sunday.. was pretty much 100% throttle 4x4 low locked fighting through the snow a good portion of the day getting through it.. didn't have time to pull out the phone and take many pics. There were 4 of us and we hit the snowy trails pretty hard.. 57 miles and i was blinking empty.. was drinkin the fuel no doubt. Its raining right now and i think we are supposed to have 6 inches of snow come morning so i'm sure its dumping more than that in the mountains. :)

it sure was a nice weekend to be out and about!!

How are those growlers? I'm debating on them of kenda bear claws

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How are those growlers? I'm debating on them of kenda bear claws
Oh their great but i need a new pair haha centers are just a tad under 1/2 inch left edges are between 1/2 - 3/4 inch after about 5500 miles of fairly decent/hard riding. I know everyone's got their own perspective of whats hard riding so i'll just say mildly aggressive riding. :banana: I need better then that for the snow riding the rest of the winter. I'm waiting to see if there are any black friday deals on tires. Discount or not i'll be pullin the trigger on another set of growlers but this time they will be the bg2.5 27's.

The original growlers were awesome but from what i've seen in the bg's they got a much stiffer sidewall. IMO the originals are a bit weak but i also dont have the uber's and only had issues when launching several feet off the ground and landing or nailing huge rocks in the trail while having the throttle pinned and pinching the tire between the rim's and the rocks you learn to put a bit more air in the tires haha. I run a strict 7 to 7 1/2lbs in the fronts because of that and 6 - 6 1/2 in the rear depending on conditions and haven't had issues since.

You really can't go wrong with the bear claws my mom's rig has them and they are great tires for her king quad. For me once you get a taste for the pitbulls the growlers or the rockers you'll be hooked...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Oh their great but i need a new pair haha centers are just a tad under 1/2 inch left edges are between 1/2 - 3/4 inch after about 5500 miles of fairly decent/hard riding. I know everyone's got their own perspective of whats hard riding so i'll just say mildly aggressive riding. :banana: I need better then that for the snow riding the rest of the winter. I'm waiting to see if there are any black friday deals on tires. Discount or not i'll be pullin the trigger on another set of growlers but this time they will be the bg2.5 27's.

The original growlers were awesome but from what i've seen in the bg's they got a much stiffer sidewall. IMO the originals are a bit weak but i also dont have the uber's and only had issues when launching several feet off the ground and landing or nailing huge rocks in the trail while having the throttle pinned and pinching the tire between the rim's and the rocks you learn to put a bit more air in the tires haha. I run a strict 7 to 7 1/2lbs in the fronts because of that and 6 - 6 1/2 in the rear depending on conditions and haven't had issues since.

You really can't go wrong with the bear claws my mom's rig has them and they are great tires for her king quad. For me once you get a taste for the pitbulls the growlers or the rockers you'll be hooked...

I like them cause they look like a truck tire.

I don't do much mud riding and if so it would be up to my shin at The most.

I need a tire that does good in gravel, snow, wet grass, wet leafs, and for plowing snow. And the dreaded southern clay!

So I think a at tire will
Be better for my needs not a xtr.

So pitbull and bear claws is my decision lol

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Get a new set and run them in the snow and wet seasons then come the dry season slap he oldies back on and tear them apart for another summer and you'll still have brand new tires pretty well next winter ... this is just my cheap side talking

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ya i thought about doing that but think i'll throw them up on CL the farmers around here would love to take them off my hands for $250-300 ;)

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
I have htr's and if I don't buy them again it will be some pitbulls the way its looking. Once I get my wife a sxs the htr's will probably go on it and I'll be in the market again. Might be a year or two.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts