Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after seeing Dag's posts in toys and his take from a ride, I figured I'd add this for us east coast guys since this is spreading. From what I've read up on, we have a coyote/wolf mix running through the woods and the front yards. A coyote, to me, is a mangy skinny dog weighing maybe 40-50lbs whereas the coywolf is in the 80-100lbs. Both species trying to survive, however around here they have a bounty on their head. They harass my skunks, coon-dogs, cats, and the neighbors dogs. Just a few examples of the coyote at the supper table, the coywolf in the front yard and the napping coon dog on a rainy day, ha.
Shoot the coyote, shoot the coywolf, but give the coondog a marshmallow, ha. Coon-dogs came around tonight for the first time since November. It is getting warmer here and they are now Knocked Up, so they are hungry for marshmallows so I hand fed two of them marshmallows. I think I'll bag the litter and send them to OKbear to liven up the new home, you just have to train them, ha.
IMG_2765.JPG

IMG_2929.JPG

IMG_2978.JPG

·
Premium Member
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
For OKbear, I'll send a litter of these. They are a hoot if you train them right...Heck, even Ridgway met the gaggle 'round here and just shook his head, ha.

Attachments

Reactions: okbear

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Yeah, not good at all for our deer. Western coyotes spread east, cross bred with eastern gray wolves in Canada. We now have many, many coyote's in the 50 to 80 lb range. They hunt like wolves, they work together as a pack to run down their prey. I don't "hate" coyote's, they are animals doing what they have to do. I have great respect for all animals, and the "new" eastern coyote is an impressive animal. I do however greatly appreciate those folks that have taken the time to become proficient coyote hunters. It does help keep the population balanced.

Reactions: Hammerhead

·
Registered
800 Posts
Umm. No offense but I am not a fan of any of the coons. They eat chickens and I like my chickens. You seriously keep skunks? I think I would die. The first picture is of a fox. You keep that for a pet to? Coyotes, Wolves, Coywolves or what ever you called them, DEAD is the best way. If those things were around here, well, they wouldn't last long. I would consider getting a nice AR and see how confident they are after you drop a few of their buddy's in 20 seconds flat. I hate coyotes. Period. Their only good for one thing, that's the fur. If you want to you can go back to hugging the thing that will gladly eat half of you and leave barley alive to look at your bones. Rather disgusting isn't it. That's what they do to cows out here. Do you know how much money is lost to these snarling heartless creatures. Tens of thousands a year at least.

Oh yeah, nice pictures. The baby is cute until it gets older.

Sent from an overpriced phone using a fancy app.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Hey @Grizzcrazy, don't hold back, tell us how you really feel!, LOL!! I do wish the Hollywood elite would bring coyote fur coats back in style. If the pelts were worth $50+ each, things would change in a hurry I bet! But, all those " enlightened, compassionate" people like to wear clothes made out of oil instead.

·
Registered
800 Posts
LOL. Yeah, when it come to predators I don't hold much back.

Sent from my Z971 using Tapatalk

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,518 Posts
Umm. No offense but I am not a fan of any of the coons. They eat chickens and I like my chickens. You seriously keep skunks? I think I would die. The first picture is of a fox. You keep that for a pet to? Coyotes, Wolves, Coywolves or what ever you called them, DEAD is the best way. If those things were around here, well, they wouldn't last long. I would consider getting a nice AR and see how confident they are after you drop a few of their buddy's in 20 seconds flat. I hate coyotes. Period. Their only good for one thing, that's the fur. If you want to you can go back to hugging the thing that will gladly eat half of you and leave barley alive to look at your bones. Rather disgusting isn't it. That's what they do to cows out here. Do you know how much money is lost to these snarling heartless creatures. Tens of thousands a year at least.

Oh yeah, nice pictures. The baby is cute until it gets older.

Sent from an overpriced phone using a fancy app.
I did some minor editing on your post. The last line was unnecessary and antagonistic. Feel free to express your opinion but remember... Different strokes for different folks.

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,518 Posts
For OKbear, I'll send a litter of these. They are a hoot if you train them right...Heck, even Ridgway met the gaggle 'round here and just shook his head, ha.
You just keep all that at your place. I’ll come and visit from time to time. :wink2:

·
Registered
2017 Grizzly
352 Posts
I kind of like most critters but after a few incidents with a rabid coons trying to eat through a door and a rabid skunk chasing me while bird hunting, they are cute to watch but got to be aware of such things. When I was trapping to agument school costs, coon pelts were $35 a good winter coyote was $125, there was even a county bounty on skunks at $5 per tail.
The ranchers I know do not allow anything to hang around that can take spring calf's. Those folks who raise livestock even chickens are equally not as welcoming.

That coywolf is interesting, got mixed feelings as a pet, prefer Labs.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I did some minor editing on your post. The last line was unnecessary and antagonistic. Feel free to express your opinion but remember... Different strokes for different folks.
Absolutely. Sorry about that, just an off hand comment. I had no intention of being antagonistic. The way I typed it was the wrong way to express what I meant.

Edit: I thought I would edit this since I realized (with a lot of help) that this wasn't @okbear was talking about.

Reactions: okbear

·
Registered
800 Posts
I kind of like most critters but after a few incidents with a rabid coons trying to eat through a door and a rabid skunk chasing me while bird hunting, they are cute to watch but got to be aware of such things. When I was trapping to agument school costs, coon pelts were $35 a good winter coyote was $125, there was even a county bounty on skunks at $5 per tail.
The ranchers I know do not allow anything to hang around that can take spring calf's. Those folks who raise livestock even chickens are equally not as welcoming.

That coywolf is interesting, got mixed feelings as a pet, prefer Labs.
Yes, this is where I am coming from. I don't like things taking something that helps me provide for my family. Not trying to be rude. Just trying to help show that these animals who have great looks, are not all fuzzy and cuddly. However most of you know this already. I again apologize for any chips I may have put on a shoulder.

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,518 Posts
Absolutely. Sorry about that, just an off hand comment. I had no intention of being antagonistic. The way I typed it was the wrong way to express what I meant. Everything is cuter when it's little. Kittens and puppies seem cuter than grown up dogs and cats.

No problem. That wasn’t the line I deleted. It was the last line of the main paragraph. But you’re right. Everything is cuter when it’s little.

·
Registered
800 Posts
No problem. That wasn’t the line I deleted. It was the last line of the main paragraph. But you’re right. Everything is cuter when it’s little.
Oh right. Gee I feel silly. Sorry, I thought you meant the last little bit. I was surprised when it was still there. Boy, I really have to pay better attention.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Coyotes are very smart and cunning animals. My brother raised and sold them for 12 years ( yes some people will buy them ), along with bobcats. He doesn't keep or raise either now but still hunts the yotes. One he had run with his dogs a couple years ago went over 10 miles before it holed up in someones woods, never did get it out. The things have endless energy.

·
Premium Member
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm sorry I missed all the commotion before the edits, ha. GrizzlyCrazy, none of these animals are pets and as I said shoot the coyotes and coywolves. Just for perspective, my home is on a heavily wooded parcel on the edge of town, actually my back yard property boundary line is also the town line. My backyard joins a 90 acre parcel of undeveloped/never developed woods, and that parcel joins federal land/Blue Ridge Parkway, so yes I live in the woods. I've been on this property for the last 10 years and have seen all kinds of wildlife, although last year was the first year that I saw a coyote on my property, or the coywolf, (which before then I had never even heard of.) Anytime I walk by a window and look out, it's like a new cage at the zoo...if it's interesting, I grab the camera and zoom in. Some of the pictures I share here. As for the coyotes and the coywolf, I know that three coyotes and the coywolf were shot on the 90 acre parcel behind my property during deer season which is great.
The skunks and coon-dogs and all the other critters just come with living in the woods. I may encourage some of it with the supper table out back, but it's really peaceful to sit on the screened in porch enjoying a cold beverage watching the live zoo in the back yard. The coon dogs came about when a cashier at Sam's asked me what kind of dogs I had when purchasing a 50lb bag of food and without hesitation I said coon dogs, bahahaha, my wife had to walk away because she was about to bust a gut laughing and that was over 15 years ago. It's a running joke here so the raccoons are known as coon dogs around here.
BTW, my town has an ordinance that prohibits raising chickens or cattle on my property so that hazard isn't a factor in this neck of the woods. Also, there is a no hunting ordinance within town limits though if push came to shove for protection, I'm sure that could be explained. I just don't find the need to draw attention to my property when it isn't necessary.
Be good and send me a dozen free range eggs.:nana: Don't be so gullible, most of my posts are for shits and giggles anyway.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I'm sorry I missed all the commotion before the edits, ha. GrizzlyCrazy, none of these animals are pets and as I said shoot the coyotes and coywolves. Just for perspective, my home is on a heavily wooded parcel on the edge of town, actually my back yard property boundary line is also the town line. My backyard joins a 90 acre parcel of undeveloped/never developed woods, and that parcel joins federal land/Blue Ridge Parkway, so yes I live in the woods. I've been on this property for the last 10 years and have seen all kinds of wildlife, although last year was the first year that I saw a coyote on my property, or the coywolf, (which before then I had never even heard of.) Anytime I walk by a window and look out, it's like a new cage at the zoo...if it's interesting, I grab the camera and zoom in. Some of the pictures I share here. As for the coyotes and the coywolf, I know that three coyotes and the coywolf were shot on the 90 acre parcel behind my property during deer season which is great.
The skunks and coon-dogs and all the other critters just come with living in the woods. I may encourage some of it with the supper table out back, but it's really peaceful to sit on the screened in porch enjoying a cold beverage watching the live zoo in the back yard. The coon dogs came about when a cashier at Sam's asked me what kind of dogs I had when purchasing a 50lb bag of food and without hesitation I said coon dogs, bahahaha, my wife had to walk away because she was about to bust a gut laughing and that was over 15 years ago. It's a running joke here so the raccoons are known as coon dogs around here.
BTW, my town has an ordinance that prohibits raising chickens or cattle on my property so that hazard isn't a factor in this neck of the woods. Also, there is a no hunting ordinance within town limits though if push came to shove for protection, I'm sure that could be explained. I just don't find the need to draw attention to my property when it isn't necessary.
Be good and send me a dozen free range eggs.:nana: Don't be so gullible, most of my posts are for shits and giggles anyway.
Ooooh. I guess that is just a sign I am still rather new here and am yet to get in on all the inside jokes. Lol. I would have busted a gut as well. I always thought you had honest to goodness coon dogs... I have been called gullible before, probably will be again. Lol. I never know what to expect on here. Sometimes I think you are serious and you are joking or the other way around. I will send you a message letting you know the whole saga of what happened. If someone hasn't beat me to it. Thanks clearing the are for me. I guess am still just a new guy for right now. It's not bad, people show a little more forgiveness when you screw up. ROFL. A live zoo would be pretty cool though, I can see why you don't chase them away. Just don't try to grow corn! If you are a gardener/farmer you know why.

·
Premium Member
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's all good. Every day is a new day and some days I see things I've never seen and have to research. This poor fellow wandered to the supper table all bloodied up and I thought my poor stray cat had been gored, not the case. Also, tell it like it is, we don't pussyfoot around here....ok, maybe my wife does, hahahahaha.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,697 Posts
This thread makes me laugh, if you have kids, kids are ok, if you have dogs, dogs are ok, if you have cows, cows are ok, if you have goats, goats are ok, if you have pigs, pigs are ok, and so the story goes........unless you don’t have one...lol. Then ban all kids, dogs, cows, goats, pigs. Etc.etc etc.

Hammer, I am glad to finally understand what your coon dog is or are....somehow missed that.

Grizzcrazy, this animal thing with Hammer is way more complicated than you realize, there is a thread on here somewhere that shows Hammer is building a Ark. Found it on social media.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts