Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was a lil hard on the ol girl today, between the sub 20 degree temps and that "thing" i hit :cussing: , i cracked the top of my front fender just below the front rack , but not all the way to the fender flare. I am plann8ng on black gorilla tape , unless there is a plastic repair kit? Any opinions?

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
You can look into getting a plastic welder. On my wife's sportsman I kind of stitched it back together with safety wire, its a lot less of an eyesore than stitching it with zip-ties.

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
Here is what we have done. 1 at the end of the crack, drill a hole. This will help keep the crack from continuing... 1/4" should do.

Next I take a strip of thin aluminum sheetmetal. About 2" wide. Then I pop rivet both sides every couple inches along the crack.

Depending on if its a high stress area, u may need aluminum on both sides to keep the rivets from pulling through.

I have also done the zip tie thing. Depends on how much work u wanna put into it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
248 Posts
Try the plastic welder like Ole nasty said most bodyshops have one

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I would use .040 safety wire(can be bought at most hardware stores, sometimes called lock wire) if you are going to do the stitches thing, its looks much better than zip-ties. Just drill really small holes on both sides of the crack , run a piece of wire between two holes and twist the wire tight, repeat the length of the crack.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I used a fiberglass mesh soaked with some kind of 2 part epoxy. Install it under neath the split plastic. Can't really tell that A crack was even there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was a lil hard on the ol girl today, between the sub 20 degree temps and that "thing" i hit :cussing: , i cracked the top of my front fender just below the front rack , but not all the way to the fender flare. I am plann8ng on black gorilla tape , unless there is a plastic repair kit? Any opinions?
Look into JM weld products. They got something for everyone! I mended a broken bug deflector on my truck and it handles 70MPH!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts