Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, fellow members! I have a 1998 600 Grizzly that has no spark, that every one has had a crack at and a 2001 660 Grizzly that lost spark yesterday. So, after reading a few post, I realized I needed to be part of these conversations to pick a few of your brains in order to get something running again. I am an automotive technician by trade but not much into repairing small engines. Hoping to learn something about my machines here on this site. Thanks for having me. Crashnash

·
Premium Member
9,069 Posts
Welcome from Colorado.
Many with your problem (no spark) learn the first and easiest fix is probably a new spark plug. You may see a spark, but what you see is not hot enough to fire the low compression engine.
If that does not get you going, a factory service manual can be had at tradebit.com for cheap.
Let us know if the new plug works, as you may need to adjust the valves or have a timing problem due to age and wear.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Colorado. So far, I have replaced the spark plug, still no spark. Then I checked for power to the coil and there is no power going to the coil. I have a service manual that the previous owner had printed off from online but the wiring diagrams are not very clear due to printing from a poor sight.

·
Premium Member
9,069 Posts
On the 660's, wire chaffing could be a problem along the upper left frame rail around the gas tank heat shield. I would say for both bikes to start at the battery and check the wires and connections and fuses and relays.......
Also others have reported low voltage from bad/corroded ground connections to the frame.
Maybe a new f.s.m. is in your future :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Ridgway 81432

Thanks for the pointer as I had no idea of where to start. I will start checking the areas you mentioned in your post.

Thanks from crashnash

·
Premium Member
2,134 Posts
Welcome to GC and good luck with getting the fire back in the bears.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts