Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a part number/description/source to purchase the "proper" cv band clamp tool for the Yamaha O.E.M. cv boot clamps.
Purchased two different ones already and they are not for the type of cv boot clamps that are O.E.M "Original Equipment Manufacture"

I did the rear O.E.M. cv rebuilds using a modified pair of channel lock pliers with 2 foot long pipe extensions on the handles for extra clamping leverage. It was pretty sketchy, almost ruined one clamp and would like to get the proper tool for the front O.E.M. cv rebuilds.
These O.E.M. cv boot band/clamps, what type/style are these called? It would help to know during my search for the proper tool.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I also used a modified pair of channel locks. which I took a file and filed both tips to look almost like a parrot beak. That did work pretty dang good. though I will be finding the correct tool eventually as that was a pain in the ARSE

·
Premium Member
7,153 Posts
Pipe extensions??? The bands don't need to be that tight. Over tightening can cut the boot.
OEM are usually the toggle style, just need a hammer
Norrex boots come with bands and a winding tool that fits in a 5/16" socket.
The crimp style can be clamped with just channel locks or a hog nose wire cutter.

Search CV boot band tools

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I also used a modified pair of channel locks. which I took a file and filed both tips to look almost like a parrot beak. That did work pretty dang good. though I will be finding the correct tool eventually as that was a pain in the ARSE

You know what I'm talking about, if you find the correct tool please post.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pipe extensions??? The bands don't need to be that tight. Over tightening can cut the boot.
OEM are usually the toggle style, just need a hammer
Norrex boots come with bands and a winding tool that fits in a 5/16" socket.
The crimp style can be clamped with just channel locks or a hog nose wire cutter.

Search CV boot band tools

These bands only have one set-point they cannot be over/under tightened. There isn't any crimping or toggling, they just snap into place. Very simple /easy with the proper tool.

These OEM clamps are made of some pretty hard stainless steel.

It takes a lot of clamping pressure to engage the hooks. I would think the proper tool would be of the compound joint type like bolt cutters or tin snips have.

The channel locks I used had to be modified to be able to engage the clamp hooks as Jssrvlz noted in his reply. My channel locks have an angle/offset so as they close one jaw tends to slip up/off the clamp hook when clamping.
I mistakenly purchased the winding tool and another tool after searching the web for "CV boot band tools" and have not seen any of the type I need.

Picture attached of OEM band/clamp still in its bag.
Circled in Orange are the hooks for the tool to engage, circled in Red is the snap/lock and its receptacle when clamped.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,153 Posts
I do use a channel lock brand pliers for those clamps.
For dedicated tool
Search for
Earless cv boot tool.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40 Posts
Best bet is to buy the tool for crimping stainless pex rings (see pic) they have a ratcheting lock feature so you have to tighten all the way to release off the ring. Once you have the tool you can do some plumbing around the house too. Lol

I have in a pinch managed to get one tight with a plier and 2 flat head screw drivers. I wouldn’t recommend that unless you’re desperate.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,153 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here you go Seems this is the tool you need.
CTA-Tools-4215-Earless-Pliers

Thanks for the link. It helped.

I found maybe even a better suited tool there "OTC 4724 Stinger Ear-Type CV Boot Clamp Plier. Special tips work on the ear-less type CV boot clamps".
It looks a little beefier, but the jaws need to open up far enough.
Still cannot find these exact stye clamps anywhere on the web, youtube , etc.

I guess these OEM clamps are called "Earless" type.

Surely someone on GC has actually used the proper tool for these style OEM clamps.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,123 Posts
Why not call ur local dealer?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
17 Posts
Those do seem like they will work. As long as it will open far enough to grab both sides. Then the handles need enough leverage to squeeze close. I bought some cv boot pliers for cars at an auto parts store. They just didnt have the strength to close

·
Registered
89 Posts

My clamps were just like the ones in the video I followed.

·
Premium Member
7,153 Posts
Those are the toggle style bands. In the past I have reused those and the earless style.
I now only buy Norrec Boots. They come with the flat bands and a winder tool.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Those do seem like they will work. As long as it will open far enough to grab both sides. Then the handles need enough leverage to squeeze close. I bought some cv boot pliers for cars at an auto parts store. They just didnt have the strength to close

I wish they showed some specs on them "maximum jaw opening, handle length," etc. I also bought the auto store boot clamp pliers and would have ripped the jaw tips off if I could have even closed them with pipe extensions. Got a refund on those.
I like the design of these OEM clamps compared to the other styles. They seem to be superior to the other styles, just need the right tool. Weird there's no info on them on the web.
I found only one other similar tool it is the Lisle #30500.

·
Registered
89 Posts
What do you like about the Norrec boots? Is the rubber thicker and higher quality?

·
Premium Member
7,153 Posts
They seem to be a tougher higher quality rubber.
One boot fits every CV on the 450, 660 , 550, 700 including the front drive shaft CV's on the 660,
everything you need in one box, boot,grease, long bands, and the winding tool,
they can be "fast booted",
cheap.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Good to know and thanks for the reply

1 - 18 of 18 Posts