Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I ripped a cv boot yesterday and saw on rocky mountain a kit from all balls with a universal boot and a cone tool to slip the boot on without taking the axle out. Anyone know if the universal boots from all balls are good? Or do I order one from the dealer? Has anyone used this cone tool?

·
Registered
725 Posts
I don't have any experience with them. But when mine tore several years ago, I went to O'Reilly's and picked one they sold. Seems to have worked out just fine.

Not sure if I'd want to slip a boot kit over it without taking the axle out as it might be pretty difficult to clean everything. Depends on whether it is in an inner or outer and how long you have been riding like this (debris and stuff mixed in with the grease). If you don't get it clean, you will end up destroying the cage and bearings and taking it back out sooner rather than later.

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
I went to O'Reilly's and picked one they sold.
You picked up an universal kit?

·
Grizzled
2014 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
3,670 Posts
You picked up an universal kit?
I can help out here as I contacted Rob about the CVT boot he bought through O'Reilly's. It is a boot that fits the Grizzly and if I recall correctly, there are two different sizes, inner and outer you can order/buy. With those specific CVT boots, you must remove the axle to install. I believe they are actually the same as AllBalls (the one @rwreuter references, not the AllBalls @whittle450 is asking about) and so far the boot rubber and band appear of decent quality. I was skeptical at first being an AllBalls product but it has held up well to date for me.

I am also in agreement with Rob about it would be best to remove the axle to make sure and get everything VERY clean. If it isn't clean, you will probably leak grease and/or the boot will twist. Might as well do it right and remove the axle, not taking any short cuts here.

Reactions: rwreuter

·
Premium Member
7,935 Posts
Hey guys, I ripped a cv boot yesterday and saw on rocky mountain a kit from all balls with a universal boot and a cone tool to slip the boot on without taking the axle out. Anyone know if the universal boots from all balls are good? Or do I order one from the dealer? Has anyone used this cone tool?
I the OP means that the axle will not need to be dis-assembled. After disconnecting the hub,knuckle and a-arms. It only takes 10 seconds more to yank out the axle. The cv can be clean easily even when assembled.

Norrec invented/designed the fastboot, as they are a wholesale MFG they distributed to many companies. The boots for the Yamaha products are designed to fit every cv on a Grizzly. Even the boots on the 660 driveshaft. For the smaller cv's just cut off the outer diameter of the boot. I've been using the Norrec boots since 2008 best boots I have found.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I thought the CV boots are getting punctured and leak; definitely not what happen to mine:

1.jpg
2.jpg

The bike is been siting for the last couple months and I don't recall seeing this before or getting anything stuck back in that area in my last ride. It really got cut almost completely , just a little sliver of rubber holding it together.
Anyway I need to get this repaired and I'm looking at my options. I think Boot replacement will be the way to go. @reogem did you replaced with norrec any boots on your '16 Kodi ? Any fittment issues? The Norrec industries give p/n 92092 as a replacement for anything Grizzly and Kodiak old and new, inner, outer, all the same. Is that booth that universal?

This will be my first booth replacement, do you guys have any tips for me ? Can or should I tip the quad so the final drive fluid doesn't pour out when I pull the axle?

·
Premium Member
7,935 Posts
Yep..I changed one on the front mine last fall. On our February ride out in New Mexico. My Queen ripped one on our 5th day of riding . Had 2 boots kits in my shop but I forgot got to bring one. I put a piece of awning tape over the hole, wrapped it 3-4 times with duct tape, then stretch a ¼ roll of good electrical tape in the accordion grooves. Held up for another 500 miles of riding. Going to change it out this week.
I have yet to rip a Norrec boot.

I put a pair of axles on my 660 that had much larger cv's than OEM. The left rear inside rubbed the a-arm mount but never damaged the boot. Can't remember the brand. The Norrec boot will fit the cv's also.

Reactions: Rollin

·
Registered
217 Posts
I have yet to rip a Norrec boot.
Thanks reogem! That's as good a review as you can give.
They have Fast Booth and Lightning Boot , which one have you been using? And do you have a line on a good online price?

·
Premium Member
7,935 Posts
I use the fast boots. I watch for them on Amazon w/free shipping. I see them on Ebay for less $ with free shipping also.

Besides oil and air filter changes on both machines. I got my Queens Kodi axle boot replaced today. Good news was the cages and balls all looked new. I had some trouble with the small band. Had to reuse the stock band.

Here is a picture of a fast boot cut off to fit a 660 front drive shaft experiment. FYI the drive shafts do come apart.
The boots need to be cut to fit all Griz and Kodi CV's

Attachments

·
Registered
725 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
I use the fast boots. I watch for them on Amazon w/free shipping. I see them on Ebay for less $ with free shipping also.

Besides oil and air filter changes on both machines. I got my Queens Kodi axle boot replaced today. Good news was the cages and balls all looked new. I had some trouble with the small band. Had to reuse the stock band.

Here is a picture of a fast boot cut off to fit a 660 front drive shaft experiment. FYI the drive shafts do come apart.
The boots need to be cut to fit all Griz and Kodi CV's
They need to be cut because they are too big?

·
Registered
725 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,935 Posts
It is a universal boot. Part# 92092 fits two sizes CV's
Mine came from WPS their part number is 63-92091

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So just an update on this post. I took my axle out and did it the right way!lol I ordered the Yamaha boot and took my cv knuckle apart, cleaned it, slid the boot on, re-greased and put it all back together. It was super easy and took 30 mins.

Reactions: Cash
1 - 14 of 14 Posts