Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, so I'm needing to replace a torn front outboard cv boot. Maybe the joint too. Figure I might as well upgrade to a HD if the price is right. I've read a lot on the forums, seen how costly some are etc.
I found a pair of affordable ones from cv restoration. Also found many mixed reviews on the quality of his products. But the reviews/posts were a few years old. Anyone have any thoughts on his current products? How they're holding up? Customer service? I'm considering the Extreme Axles if I do the whole thing. Or the HD joint & boot kit. (I think the boot is the only thing hd tho)
I'm assuming if I replace the bad side axle with the Extreme I should also replace the opposite side to match? Thanks in advance for your replies!

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Why not just replace the boot and save some money ... if your pulling the axle to swap it it's just a c clip and some grease aeay

·
Premium Member
7,796 Posts
X-2 replace the boot...You will need to clean the cv joint of all (I mean all) grease. The grease is where dirt and grit will be hiding. Not all grease is compatible you never know what type of grease the supplier is sending you. Inspect the cages races and balls for pitting, cracks or scores. Regrease it and install the new boot.

If you replace the axle you do not have to replace the others. Although steer clear of the MFG's that boast very large cv joints as they can rub on the A-arm mounts on the rear axles. It appears that some substitute quantity for quality. Here is a thread on aftermarket axles.
http://www.grizzlycentral.com/forum/grizzly-engine-transmission/44497-surtrack-axle-review.html#post420897

·
Premium Member
10,178 Posts
Use a quality boot.
I broke an axle and replaced it with one from A.T.V. Part Connection.
It was similar to stock and the axle works great, but their boots suck.
Their first boot cracked after a couple hundred miles, so I had them send another rated extreme duty for the cold weather and it did the same thing.
I'm in the marked for better quality boot(s).

·
Premium Member
7,796 Posts
Hey Ridgeway.. I should have posted Norrec Industries boots are real good. One size fits every cv on a 660 or 700.. axles and drive shafts.

Reactions: Ridgway81432
1 - 5 of 5 Posts