Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I swapped the belt out after getting water in the case and shredding the old belt. The problem that I have came across it the primary clutch does not seem to be engaging until higher RPMs. I have lost about 15mph on the top end. It wasn’t like this before. I’m completely stumped and can not find anything like this in any other threads.

·
Registered
2017 Kodiak 700 ESP SE
404 Posts
Did you Take apart the primary & clean it out, repack the weights with new grease and make sure they did not fall out of position when you put it back together? Did you have any water in the crankcase? Did you install a OEM belt?

·
Premium Member
9,851 Posts
Welcome from Colorado.
You didn't post enough info for us to give best help.
When the system turns without a belt the movable AND fix sheave can float around. You could have damaged/ruined the fix sheave splines or have weights out of the channel or both.
I suggest removing the primary sheaves before running the engine
Pictures help us help you, and start a signature to list your ride so we know what you have.

·
Registered
5,443 Posts
I can almost 100% guarantee you let the primary sheave move when you replaced the belt. This allowed the roller weight(s) to fall out of channels. This happens all the time.

Now you got to remove the primary clutch, remove the cover a d camplate, put the roller weights back into the channels, then reassemble. You might as well give it a full servicing since you in there.
When putting the clutch back on, you must make sure the camplate does not move inside the primary, or you'll have to remove it and do it all again.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
X2 dropped weights

·
Premium Member
9,851 Posts
I think you have two problems, not just one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts