Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys!
Did anyone use some filter for the airintake to the cvt?
For me that's new to atv's but not bikes, it seems strange to not have any type of filtering of the air going to the cvt.

My bike is a Kodiak 700 2018 if that'd matter.

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
Hi guys!
Did anyone use some filter for the airintake to the cvt?
For me that's new to atv's but not bikes, it seems strange to not have any type of filtering of the air going to the cvt.

My bike is a Kodiak 700 2018 if that'd matter.
The reason for being no filter is the because of the amount of constant, unrestricted airflow that is required to keep the clutches cool. If the filter becomes clogged and airflow restricted, your clutches will over heat. This will result in burnt/melted belts, melted clutch rollers and can slides, etc.....nothing good comes of it.

And it's not really needed anyway. Belt drive automatics has been on ATV's since the mid 80's (Polaris being the first). No manufacturer has put a filter on the belt box snorkels.

Reactions: mainehunter

·
Registered
40 Posts
The reason for being no filter is the because of the amount of constant, unrestricted airflow that is required to keep the clutches cool. If the filter becomes clogged and airflow restricted, your clutches will over heat. This will result in burnt/melted belts, melted clutch rollers and can slides, etc.....nothing good comes of it.

And it's not really needed anyway. Belt drive automatics has been on ATV's since the mid 80's (Polaris being the first). No manufacturer has put a filter on the belt box snorkels.
I have a few friends with Can Am's, when I got my Grizzly and we made it street legal (and thus took of the panels), they asked why there's no filter like on their's; Renegade XCC1000 and Outlander 1000XTP.
So there you have it. And here's what I found on youtube:

/Kasper

BTW. There is a little dust (besides the belt residue) inside the box on my Grizzly. But nothing alarming at all.

·
Premium Member
10,632 Posts
The stock C.V.T. inlet is under cover blocking big stuff like rocks and sticks and leaves and heavy mud chunks or splashed water. Smaller stuff has not been found to be a problem for most members running stock inlet.
Snorkeled machine riders add filters and/or use turned down inlets to keep big stuff out of the inlet.
The 660 uses a valley pan design under the front hood with channel blocks to divert water, while 550's and 700's use a turned down snorkel under the side cover.

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
I have a few friends with Can Am's, when I got my Grizzly and we made it street legal (and thus took of the panels), they asked why there's no filter like on their's; Renegade XCC1000 and Outlander 1000XTP.
So there you have it. And here's what I found on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUGAtCQhQX0

/Kasper

BTW. There is a little dust (besides the belt residue) inside the box on my Grizzly. But nothing alarming at all.
I had forgotten about Can Am using those filters on their belt snorkel. They didn't use them on the generation 1 models. Only on the generation 2. I have minimum experience with the 2nd generation.
Thanks for sharing this and bringing this back to light. There is Can Am owners on this forum that will need to be reminded of these maintenance items.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts