Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I did my second ride on my new 2018 Grizz EPS and the noise/drone coming from the lower right side is terrible. I couldn’t stand to ride it without earplugs. Noise is only on right and low so I feel it is coming from clutch area.
If I rest my foot up against the housing i can feel a vibration as well. When accelerating and cruiseing it is bad but not so bad when off the throttle. Any thoughts? Thanks

Attachments

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,518 Posts
The Griz clutches are noisy. Post up a vid for us but it’s probably the usual Yamaha Griz noises.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gonna be a huge bummer if it is a normal sound. Rode my sons Canam 650Xt for a few miles and it was sooo smooth and quiet.
Ugggg

·
Registered
800 Posts
Have any mods been done to the machine? How many miles? I would check the cage bearing in the CVT. The Grizz has a noise but not ear plugs loud.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
142 miles as of today.
Only thing I have done is put 26" pitbull Growler 2.5 on it.
Could the extra effort needed by engine and clutch to turn the heavier tire create this noise?

·
Registered
800 Posts
I really don't think so. But it isn't like a Canned Ham is louder. A video would help. I really think it is your cage bearing though.

Sent from my Z971 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,205 Posts
If it's earplug loud that should be covered by warranty if it hasn't been sunk.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
142 miles as of today.
Could the extra effort needed by engine and clutch to turn the heavier tire create this noise?
I have the same tires, and no they should certainly not cause ear plug requiring clutch noises. As already mentioned, probably worth getting your dealer to look at it.

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,518 Posts
Oops. Missed the earplugs part. Yea... if earplugs are necessary, take it to your dealer for warranty service.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I will call them today. Has not been sunk. Only been on two wet trail rides from snow melt in Baldwin Michigan. No water even to the rim yet.
Toward the end of my 81 mile ride 2 weeks ago I started to notice the noise but thought it was exhaust and complained to my buddies how loud it was, but yesterday as soon as we left the truck I was like holy smokes this thing is loud.
If I can’t get it right in I will make a vid to post so you folks can here it. Thanks

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,518 Posts
Hope you get it squared away quick!!

·
Registered
253 Posts
142 miles as of today.
Did you notice the noise before you put the new tires on? Or only after putting the new tires on? I know the tires shouldn't directly cause the noise. But maybe indirectly if there is something else wrong.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Please let us know what they find. I am very very curious!

·
Registered
253 Posts
My test ride area is very small so couldn’t do much. Seems like it knocks far worse pushing itself through loose sand but this should give you an idea. One is a cold start and the other a short ride.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5p1tw36rmfb1uj7/AADcFref9qTvoNqMC8PM4mRaa?dl=0
links above

The cold start noise is exactly the same as what my 2017 does. Briefly knocks and it goes away. But, I'm not sure about the noise when you ride. I'll shoot a video of mine next time I ride it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got my grizzly back from dealer on Friday and they tell me the sound is normal like I feared..
Sucks bad. I am going to put 100 miles on it tomorrow and hopefully it will get better or worse.

·
Registered
269 Posts
My 2017 has the same cold start knocking then goes away as it warms up as well.
In one of the vids at the cold start it looked like you had to use the throttle to keep it running, if your idle is set too low the engine will jump about in it's rubber mounts & might even thump a bit as well.

·
Registered
19 Posts
So, see thread is a few months old but did you figure out rattle/drone thing? Have a 2018 Grizz with same noise in clutch housing only 60 miles & 8 hrs on it. Would like to know! Thx

1 - 19 of 19 Posts