Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purchased my new (used) Grizzly 350, 2009 version. It had some scuffs on the fender so having done paint work on cars almost all my life, I wet sanded with some 3000 grit paper and when I went to buff it out, it had absolutely no effect. There's no clear coat on these things or something? Is it possible to restore the shine back on the sanded surface somehow? Someone enlighten me on the type of paint they use on these things.

·
Premium Member
1,693 Posts
Welcome to GC. What color is your Grizzly? Most of the plastics have the color melted in with the plastic and you didn't damage paint, just the polymer in them. Usually a heat gun can help get the color back. Many threads on restoring plastics on this site. I'm sure others can help also, just throw up the color.
Welcome again and don't fret it, we'll get you sorted out.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Welcome to the forum. The reason it didn't sand and buff like paint.... Is because it's not paint. It's a plastic fender and the color Ave sheen come from the plastic. So sanding it, no matter how fine, will still turn our dull compared to the original molded surface.

But, this product will get you looking like new again:
https://www.motosport.com/pc-racing-plastic-renew

I used it countless times on the plastics of my beat up motocross bikes. Follow the instructions and it works wonders.

Usually the heat @Hammerhead mentioned is for getting the color back in the crease lines when plastic is bent. I think your scenario is different.

Reactions: Hammerhead

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the welcome... glad to be a grizzly owner. The color is metallic black or maybe they call it pearl black? It’s basically black with metallic flakes in it.

So the plastic and paint are one? That’s a strange concept I haven’t heard of. I’ll check out the plastic restor product thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Thanks for the welcome... glad to be a grizzly owner. The color is metallic black or maybe they call it pearl black? It’s basically black with metallic flakes in it.

So the plastic and paint are one? That’s a strange concept I haven’t heard of. I’ll check out the plastic restor product thanks for pointing me in the right direction!
Are you able to post a pic or link to a pic of yours? Usually the only painted grizz's are the SE's and never heard of an SE 350. So yours is black? If it is painted in fact, sorry I was confused I guess. Though I would still be surprised if it weren't just black plastic. Did some google image search for black 2009 Grizzly 350 and it looks like black plastic to me. Unless your prior owner painted it...

·
Registered
86 Posts
Let me jump in here and ask about the painted metallic paint on a SE. I see some of mine is coming off under the fenders, which isn’t an eye soar in anyway. I just don’t want it to keep spreading. Is there anything I need to be rubbing on it besides the SC1 I already do?
I imagine this is from me using a high pressure washer which I said I would never do to this ATV. I only used it under the fenders when I had some unbelievable sticky gumbo mud on it. I just don’t want the edges to keep chipping away, leading to the edges, which then will come up the side. I’m not going to use the pressure washer on it again.
Thanks,

·
Premium Member
12,259 Posts
Welcome from Colorado.
The color is probably in the plastic, not a paint coat over the plastic.
During my first ride on my grizz, riding through tall grass and tree leaves grow across the trail cause hazing down the side of the plastics. Its something I use a coat of brown to hide.
X-2 with Hammer, a heat gun used carefully with help move the molecules around, but too close and the plastic will melt.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Are you able to post a pic or link to a pic of yours? Usually the only painted grizz's are the SE's and never heard of an SE 350. So yours is black? If it is painted in fact, sorry I was confused I guess. Though I would still be surprised if it weren't just black plastic. Did some google image search for black 2009 Grizzly 350 and it looks like black plastic to me. Unless your prior owner painted it...
I have the 350 IRS (Independent Rear Suspension) version. I've attached a few photos and one closeup of the "paint" showing the metallic flakes. I don't think it has been repainted as it looks original to me and the original owner told me everything was original on it and I have no reason to believe he is lying. So if these metallic flakes are "baked" into the plastic so to speak and there's no paint on top then the only solution is to use some type of plastic polish to get the shine back? Can I apply a 2K (2 part with hardener) clear coat on top of it? I wouldn't mind removing all panels, sanding them down and applying an automotive clear coat on top. I just don't know if scratches and such will show more down the road. Any advice will help as I'm still learning about these ATVs.

That "Plastic Renew" product first seemed like a restorer but after reading more on it, it looks to be a coating of some sort. I want to avoid any type of temporary coating fix but looking for a permanent solution to bringing back the shine on the dull sanded surface. I tried buffing by hand but maybe it you need to produce some heat for it to shine up so I'll try with a powered polisher to see if it helps. If I don't find a solution to restore it back, I'll just sand it down and apply an automotive clear coat which is something I've done many times... :thumbsup

Attachments

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
First time I've seen it, but I agree with the others now, definitely looks to have the metallics embedded in the plastic. And if you really want to avoid any sort of coating, then heat is probably your only way to go. It's scratched plastic and no amount of buffing (without a coating) will make it look new again. But if you use heat, just be careful not to warp it or melt it, cause that will look worse than anything.

You are right about plastic renew being a coating. But my experience with it was far from temporary. I put it on at the start of a racing season and don't recall ever having to reapply it all season. Just don't use any really strong solvents when washing the bike.

I hope for your sake I'm wrong and you can permanently buff it out or heat can really get original sheen back. I just used to spend every weekend with hundreds of guys with scratched plastic and buying replacements or plastic renew were the only things I ever saw renew the surface (along with heat to remove the whitened crease lines from bends from crashes).

·
Grand High Inquisitioner
990 Posts
+1 on a heat gun and being very careful with it. Keep a good distance and let it heat up slowly until it just starts to get shiny and then stop. Let it settle, and see what it does. Try it on the inside of the fender first if you can.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
+1 on a heat gun and being very careful with it. Keep a good distance and let it heat up slowly until it just starts to get shiny and then stop. Let it settle, and see what it does. Try it on the inside of the fender first if you can.
I hit the area with a heat gun but chickened out when it got pretty hot. I felt the plastic was going to deform if I kept at it so I backed off. I think there's about a 5% improvement on the sheen so I might try it again to see where it goes.

I watched a couple videos on YouTube where they use a high cut buffing compound with a high speed orbital polisher and they get it to shine pretty nicely. I'm not sure if it's the polish doing the work or the heat that gets built up while using the polisher that does the trick. I don't have a polisher handly to try out but I think I'll try that approach before going back to the heat. My backup plan is to use automotive clear but I have to remove the stickers and get new ones and I'm sure it's going to be way shinier than the rest of the quad so it may stand out but if I warp it or damage it with heat then I'm in for new plastics... Thanks for the help. I honestly thought I was working with a paint/clear surface when I saw the metallic finish but never even crossed my mind it was just solid plastic or else I wouldn't have sanded it knowing what I know now!

·
Premium Member
1,693 Posts
Seephor, are you entering this thing in a beauty contest, ha or is it the A++ personality that wants to make it perfect? You're on a mission now to make it shine, ha. I have to admit that none of the scratches, dents, and dings have slowed down my Grizzly yet. I try to keep it clean, but regardless, it's a whore for the trails and mud. oooooppps.

Reactions: wheelsquad

·
Registered
9 Posts
I wonder if a plastic headlight repair kit would do the trick. I just used one and this worked great to buff out scratches in my plastic headlight covers. Same concept you want here.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
12,259 Posts
As the heat made a 5% improvement, keep at it to the same temp. and hold longer.
There is nothing to make the blemish go away, but you can change the way it looks.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I wonder if a plastic headlight repair kit would do the trick. I just used one and this worked great to buff out scratches in my plastic headlight covers. Same concept you want here.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk
Same concept different plastic. I tried that on my Grizzly and it burned the plastic. I thought about what happened and reallized that the fender is much softer than a headlight lens. I will say that it worked great in the most fogged over headlight!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Amazon also sells Plastic Renew, I just ordered some for myself this morning, I have 2018 Yamaha Grizzly 700 SE that I purchased back in October.
Marcus40

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Seephor, are you entering this thing in a beauty contest, ha or is it the A++ personality that wants to make it perfect? You're on a mission now to make it shine, ha. I have to admit that none of the scratches, dents, and dings have slowed down my Grizzly yet. I try to keep it clean, but regardless, it's a whore for the trails and mud. oooooppps.
hey Hammerhead.. no beauty content but to be honest I went a little crazy with the sandpaper since I was thinking I could just buff them out like a regular paint/clear finish. about 1/4 of my tank plastic is dull along with a couple fenders. I can just hear my friends asking me how that happened and having to explain how I fucked up.

Do you think there will be any issues if I just sand down the entire quad so it's a uniform dull finish? I honestly think it looks pretty sick being uniform matte black. I went over the sanded spots with 3500 grit paper and it's a nice uniform matte/eggshell surface finish now. I'm just concerned the sun will attack it and oxidize it faster being dull than shiny. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
86 Posts
I think it’s the 2017 Kodiak SE that comes in that matte black, take a look at it on Yamaha’s site and try to make yours look like that.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts

So I stand corrected from my post before, it looks like you actually can sand and buff up on plastic to get the original shine. But wow does does it sound like a ton of time. Dude for $20 to try plastic renew you sure don't have a lot to lose, sounds like you've already done a lot of prep work, and it may just work well for you, not much to lose if it doesn't work.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So I stand corrected from my post before, it looks like you actually can sand and buff up on plastic to get the original shine. But wow does does it sound like a ton of time. Dude for $20 to try plastic renew you sure don't have a lot to lose, sounds like you've already done a lot of prep work, and it may just work well for you, not much to lose if it doesn't work.
This was actually the video I was referring to when I said I've seen people use high cut compound with a high speed polisher. I don't have a polisher on hand or the compound for that matter so I'll have to give it a try. I'm leaning towards the matte black look so I think I'll just suck it up for a weekend, remove the storage racks, sand them down and call it a day. Uniform matte would look better than scratched up half shiny plastic any day anyway and if I want to get back to shiny one day maybe if I want to sell it or something, I'll spray a clear coat on it and it'll be back to shiny.

Thanks for the help everyone. I feel really welcome here on Grizzly Central. Looking forward to contributing what I can. Peace! :thumbsup

1 - 20 of 20 Posts