Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my 09 Grizz 550 went boom and the connecting rod blew thru two places in my cases. So I figured with how expensive it is to rebuild these when you need cases I mine as well go for a 700 engine. I looked around eBay and found a used suppose to be 09 Grizz 700 engine I'm not sure how to verify what year the engine is. I orders if and it came complete with exhaust, the two computers, and the throttle body. The throttle body is all I have left to install as it is slightly different and I need to look Into how to make it work because it hAs the coolant lines which I should be able to block off, a big black rubber tube off the top that looks like it's supposed to hook to the air box and a small rubber tube near the bottom that is really the only one stumping me on what it does or where it should go/ where it went. For now I'm running the 550 throttle body which I believe is why it stalls while idling. But the installation was easy. All the motor mounts are the same. To install the engine as a whole just remove the back two motor mounts and install them in the frame beforehand and you can leave the front two bolted to the engine. After a little wiggling you will be able to get it right in and I was able to lift it and install by myself.

To remove the old engine/ install the new engine you will need to unbolt the differentials and slide them forward and backwards respectively to pop out the driveshafts from the engine.. Be careful not to lose or damage the springs hidng behind the driveshaft ends on the engine.

***To save you time and frustration make sure you unbolt the lower control arms all the way around and front shocks To be able to access the bolts for the differentials. It will make your life way easier***

Other than that it's pretty self explanatory everything's close to the same.

The grizzly 700 computer up front has square connector plugs while the Grizz 550 has round plugs so If you use the 700 computer that bolts in next to the battery you will have to swap the connectors from the 550 computer so you can connect to your body harness. Simple pop the lock in piece out of the connector and you will see a hold down tab which you can lift up with a small pick and then pull the wires out of the back of the connector. Make sure to install them the same way in the new connector.

It runs great aside from some slight popping on deceleration and the Idleing issue where it will stall out almost always while at idle but I believe they are both directly related to using the 550 throttle body still.

Anyone with a little mechanical ability can complete this task. I never went to school for mechanics but learned as I grew up and worked as a mechanic in a shop for 5 years. I'm 24 now and in my own house. Too poor to afford a garage so I did this whole job under a pop up tent on my back patio.

Any more questions about the swap I'd be glad to answer.

Definetly worth the swap even with the 550 throttle body it has a lot more power than before with the 550 engine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Honestly no idea. I had just traded my rhino for this grizzly 550 with about 130ish hours on it. I looked it all over. Checked the oil and ran it around the block and it sounded great. Took it out on first ride and it overheated just trail riding. I tried limping it home a little at a time but it might have been the oil getting too hot that made the crank break.

·
Registered
208 Posts
sweet I've been looking at this

·
Registered
2 Posts
Bump if anyone has questions my setups still running great. Added homemade snorkels and a rad relocate kit
I swapped a 2010 550 motor to 2008 700...none of electronics where swapped. So obviously it doesn’t have the power it should have. Is it possible to swap cdi box without changing the entire wire harness out???? Need help never done anything like this before

·
Premium Member
9,851 Posts
Welcome from Colorado.
If the basic wiring is the same and all you need is different software, I would think that is possible. I would contact Eric at E.H.S and ask his opinion, and if he has ideas.

·
Premium Member
9,851 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts