Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went and bought some Yamalube from my dealer for my oil change. She advised me that I should always do my diffs at the same time. I have 800KM (roughly 500 miles) on my grizzly. The manual says it should be done at 300km, Which it was and then at 5000km. How often do you guys do your diff fluid? Is this preventative maintenance or just a waste of time and oil?

·
Registered
370 Posts
So I went and bought some Yamalube from my dealer for my oil change. She advised me that I should always do my diffs at the same time. I have 800KM (roughly 500 miles) on my grizzly. The manual says it should be done at 300km, Which it was and then at 5000km. How often do you guys do your diff fluid? Is this preventative maintenance or just a waste of time and oil?
Personally, I would determine if I change the oils this way:
1. If I've reached the service manual's change interval,
2. If I haven't reached that but it's been in there for a few years (depending on use), or
3. If it's been through a couple of seasons of REALLY hard work and crap like deep mud, deep water, etc.
Preventative maintenance.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Personally, I would determine if I change the oils this way:
1. If I've reached the service manual's change interval,
2. If I haven't reached that but it's been in there for a few years (depending on use), or
3. If it's been through a couple of seasons of REALLY hard work and crap like deep mud, deep water, etc.
Preventative maintenance.
When I get a new machine I change it. I would probably change it every few oil changes. I don't run in water or mud above the diffs, I get out/go around if it is that deep. Personally, don't change your diffs every time you change your engine oil. Also, yamalube is good to have mostly because it is designed for your machine. In a pinch, or if you don't live close to a dealer that stocks it (mine is 2 hr. away) then T4 does fine. It was actually recommended to use by a guy at the "local" dealership because he knows 2hr. is a big drive when you are busy.

Sent from my Z971 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Dmadman72

·
Registered
24 Posts
I plan on using Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40W and it is Wet Clutch rated with the JAS0 MA/MA2 Rated. I am also planning on using Mobil 1 Gear oil in the Diff. I have used this in my prior two 4 wheelers, 2002 Honda Foreman and 1999 Kawasaki Bayou(I still own), Sold the Foreman to my cousin.
Marcus40

Reactions: Dmadman72

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Good choice. I firmly believe that the correct full syn. lubes are well worth the extra upfront cost when compared to the drastic decrease in metal wear. I tend to keep my stuff a very long time once I get what I like, so I want it to last.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I run brand name 80w90 in the diff of my 660. Pennzoil, castrol, don't care. At $9 a liter I'll change it often. Usually I change diff oil at least twice a season, and try and check them after every ride. If they're full of water they get changed every ride if need be. Plenty of the trails I ride have washouts that can be fairly deep.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,541 Posts
I do it all at the same time every year. If I were putting on a ton of miles, I’d probably do the diffs annually and the oil at the recommended intervals. Of course, I’d be checking the condition of the gear lube in the mean time. Service is a mild pain in the azz but not nearly as much as a broken machine in need of expensive repairs due to neglect.

·
Premium Member
12,259 Posts
I change the drive/diff lube in the spring during a full service.
I haven't had water them, yet, but I do ride deep water and as the amount needed to fill each isn't much, why not?
I do check the fluid level of each between rides when I think of it, and this is to check for water more to add fluid as I don't have leaks. I don't use a high pressure sprayer close to the seals either when cleaning. This will push water into these gear boxes.
I would rather take a couple minutes removing/replacing plugs, than walk hours back to the truck after a failure.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Just changed my differential oils after 6 months and 1500 kms of hard use. I use Lucas full synthetic 80w90. I've noticed alot less shiny metal particulets since I started using Gold Plugs. Both magnets did their jobs and had black magnetic sludge on them.

·
Premium Member
2,289 Posts
I change mine once a year with the oil change if they need it or not because oils cheap diffs aren't. If I put a lot of miles on it I might change oil twice a year.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Just got my older 2007 Grizzly and doing the differentials as well here. Since I don't know the history I'm changing all of the fluids. Book says SAE80, but people here said its ok to use 80W90 just so it is GL-4 or GL-5.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I changed both differentials and oil this past weekend. I bought a slightly used 2016 700 Grizzly LE with 89 miles and 14 hours. Front differential only had about 1/2 cup of fluid drain out...glad I checked. I used 75W-90 Amsoil Gear Lube in both differentials. Used Mobil 1 4T 10W-40 for engine oil and a NAPA Gold filter #7040.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Just changed my differential oils after 6 months and 1500 kms of hard use. I use Lucas full synthetic 80w90. I've noticed alot less shiny metal particulets since I started using Gold Plugs. Both magnets did their jobs and had black magnetic sludge on them.

can someone explain the gold plug? and new gaskets. can I get these online?

I'm changing the diff and final on a 2013 450 griz.

using amsoil 75-90 severe gear.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
can someone explain the gold plug? and new gaskets. can I get these online?

I'm changing the diff and final on a 2013 450 griz.
Bought my off Gold Plugs off their Web site.

using amsoil 75-90 severe gear.
Bought my Gold Plugs off their Web site.
They are a differencial or engine oil plug with large 16 or 17 mm hexagonal heads instead of tiny easily stripped allen key heads. In some applications they have twice the thread length compared to the stock plugs, and the best part is they have a very powerful little magnets that grab all the nasty metalic debris from your engine and differential oils.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Bought my off Gold Plugs off their Web site.
They are a differencial or engine oil plug with large 16 or 17 mm hexagonal heads instead of tiny easily stripped allen key heads. In some applications they have twice the thread length compared to the stock plugs, and the best part is they have very powerful little magnets that grab all the nasty metals debris from your differentials and engine oils.

ok. I'll have to look into this.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Why cant I put a rare earth magnet on the oitside of my exhisting drain plug.

I'm pretty cheap when it comes to these type of things.

The exhisting oil drain plug looks like its already a hex.

Not sure yet what the diff plugs look like
If you want to save some ca$h, Rocky Mountain ATVMC sells magnetic plugs under their Tusk brand, but they don't list for our Grizzly/Kodiak applications. $7 each and just waited for a free shipping code or tacked onto an existing order to get the free shipping amount. So what I did was find the Yamaha's with drain plugs with same thread size they do list for and ordered those.

***don't do this if you're not comfortable understanding one bolt being compatible with another***

Examples:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 40 Posts