3,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just put a 1 mm shim in an something doesnt sound right

·
Premium Member
11,897 Posts
The whirling sound?
Mine does that and has for years.
Did you count the stock ratio to compare to the new ratio?
Start around 0:45 to hear.

Reactions: MountainHiker

·
Registered
2,591 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It does it is the end of the video i never heard that before i may just do the .5mm shim first and seenif it enough.

Reactions: reogem

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
It does it is the end of the video i never heard that before i may just do the .5mm shim first and seenif it enough.
0.5mm of shim is a waste of time, unless your trying to maximize the gains from machined sheave. Which is not the case here. Try it as is before changing things again. Even if it's just a quick ride around the block

·
Premium Member
3,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That sound like a plan i trust u guys with it all ill try it have to wait for my air filter to dry out doin spring maint along with mice nest removal

Reactions: JD864

·
Premium Member
8,632 Posts
@mainegrizz660 Vdeo is kinda short hard to hear clearly ..
At the end the noise seems to be the belt squeaking in the sheaves. Sometimes when the belt is removed then reinstalled it will need to seat again. Turn the CVT by hand you will probably hear the same

Reactions: mainegrizz660

·
Premium Member
3,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok ill do that and make a longer video i was making it short to put up here but figured out youtube is the easiest way

Reactions: reogem

·
Premium Member
3,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So it is the belt is it suppose to make that noise ?

·
Premium Member
11,897 Posts
Did you notice the tension on the belt in the video, how the belt is mashed between the sheaves?
If the ratio is on, and the system turns by hand freely, you're good to go. This one reason I suggest to always count the ratio after tightening the primary nut and seating the belt. If something is wrong the ratio will be off.

·
Premium Member
3,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ill have to check it out but yeah it is from what i can remember .how do i chk the ratio i seen videos but i do inderstand how to chk it? @Ridgway81432

·
Premium Member
3,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It goes freely turing it towards the rear wheels

·
Premium Member
11,897 Posts
Ill have to check it out but yeah it is from what i can remember .how do i chk the ratio i seen videos but i do inderstand how to chk it? @Ridgway81432
Do like in the video, count how many times the primary goes around for one revolution of the secondary, and very very accurate. If something is wrong the ratio is most likely off, and if correct ride on.

·
Premium Member
8,632 Posts
So it is the belt is it suppose to make that noise ?
The friction between the belt and sheaves will always create a squeaking noise. When the belt is worn in the sound will decrease.

·
Registered
998 Posts
There are noises you will hear without the cover installed that you don't hear when riding. As stated above, you should be good.

·
Premium Member
3,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Im taking it apart again double chking it all i think i screwed up someplace and will service the cvt to put the primary nut on do u impact wrench witha torque adapter ?

·
Registered
998 Posts
Im taking it apart again double chking it all i think i screwed up someplace and will service the cvt to put the primary nut on do u impact wrench witha torque adapter ?
Lots of guys use an impact. I prefer to use a torque wrench and reassemble by hand so I know I've done it to specs. Just make sure the belt isn't getting pinched when you get to torque value.

·
Premium Member
11,897 Posts
Lots of guys use an impact. I prefer to use a torque wrench and reassemble by hand so I know I've done it to specs. Just make sure the belt isn't getting pinched when you get to torque value.
The warning about using an impact is the vibration can shake the one-way and cause a problem, live and learn. And when using either tool don't let the belt take some of the torque value when tightening the shaft nut.
How do you count the ratio?
I did the counting in the video. I make the secondary and use a reference point to stop at, then go to the movable sheave and make a reference point for the counting. Then turn the primary enough to have the secondary make one exact revolution. The ratio is how many time the primary turns for one revolution of the secondary.
The more the primary turns for one turn of the secondary is more engine power (engine revolutions) for one revolution of the secondary, to the transmission to the tires.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts