Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I just watch a video on YouTube that is titled 2016 Grizzly and Up, by Jason de Pauw. He drilled several small holes in the plastics the seat sits over and in the front to help air pass thru and also allow the engine to get cool air besides so much hot air since the air box sits on top of the engine. Take a look at his video and tell me
what are your all’s thoughts on this?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Prob not something i would do' they do look a little small (the holes) and not many of them to be of any real use and besides the seat will be in the way for any real airflow' before i put my snorkels on i didn't notice any power lag problems due to heat from the engine TBH...plus I wouldn't cut my CV gard's like he did' I just took em all off cause all they do is hold mud n sand ect.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Nice video but what the guy is saying sounds a little bit controversial to me. The Yamaha is a great machine but ...... the Suzuki is ..... and so on and so on. It sounds like somebody who regrets that he bought this great machine and now is a kind of searching for 'excuses' for himself why he bought this great machinet! "But ...... the Suzuki"
Don't know. Is he really happy with this great machine ......... ??

Rob

·
Grizzled
2014 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
4,115 Posts
I recall that there were reports on some of the 16s, when they were first coming out, to where the header pipe was glowing as it was running very hot, most likely from running more lean than it should have. Many feared it was Yamaha trying to meet stricter emissions and IIRC, those bikes were more towards sea level than at altitude. A tuner to adjust the fueling would be the proper way to address a situation like that, not drilling holes for better air flow.

Too little information to go off of to really know.

Reactions: RDC

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
I recall that there were reports on some of the 16s, when they were first coming out, to where the header pipe was glowing as it was running very hot, most likely from running more lean than it should have. Many feared it was Yamaha trying to meet stricter emissions and IIRC, those bikes were more towards sea level than at altitude. A tuner to adjust the fueling would be the proper way to address a situation like that, not drilling holes for better air flow.

Too little information to go off of to really know.

I want to say I just read they are using thinner metal for headers and most ATVs ‘glow’ now... That and they’ve leaned the motors for emissions.

-Opie

·
Grizzled
2014 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
4,115 Posts
For the Yamaha 708cc engine, it just doesn't seem to be consistent though, at least with regards to those who had mentioned the notice of a glowing header. I'm not saying what you read is wrong, but personally, I'd let an AFR meter or test really be the judge of if the burnt air/fuel ratio is correct or not. I'm not certain I would be OK with my header pipe constantly glowing as a normal condition. Sounds dangerous for headers that are still fairly exposed to outside items like brush and tall grass.

If what you read was general info for ATVs, maybe that is one of the reasons Polaris has had issues with fires on some of their products.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.