Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was water wheeling thru some deep water that had a hard bottom but a small section had a mud bottom and I lost my grip to keep the front end up and it sucked in water and died. Buddies and I pushed it out of the hole, i removed the airbox cover and filter and got the water out of the box. We stood it on its ass to drain the water and I also drained the cluch case yesterday. Today drained the oil and pulled the plug plus removed airfilter. I rotated the engine by hand and it only rotates some and just stops. Any thoughts on my situation?? Before u say it...yeah I know Get a snorkel or stay out of the water

·
Premium Member
7,796 Posts
@MUDBOSS01 ...Welcome to GC from Wisconsin.

Locked with the spark plug in?
If so pull the spark plug.

·
Premium Member
7,796 Posts
Stops rotating in both directions?

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
You may need to pull the head off to inspect.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You may need to pull the head off to inspect
Thats what im thinking, I'm afraid just idling in the water when it sucked in was enough to bend a valve and mess my piston head up and/or bend a rod. I have some marvel mystery oil sitting in the cylinder just so nothing forms around the rings

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Thats what im thinking, I'm afraid just idling in the water when it sucked in was enough to bend a valve and mess my piston head up and/or bend a rod. I have some marvel mystery oil sitting in the cylinder just so nothing forms around the rings
Or get a snake camera and look inside the cylinder that way.

·
Premium Member
10,180 Posts
Welcome from Colorado.
I would get to the valves covers and remove, then look at the position of the rocker arm(s) when the engine bottoms out against what is probably a bent valve that can't close, then stops the piston.

·
Registered
2000 Yamaha Kodiak 411 4x4 Ultramatic
24 Posts
I have some experience with diagnosing the symptoms of water ingestion while an engine is running. A definite possibility is a bent connecting rod. Water isn't compressible, so if it is sucked into the cylinder on the intake stroke, the water stops the piston from travelling to the top of the compression stroke, but the crank is still turning, and its inertia forces the con rod to bend like a banana. If you have a bent con rod, the piston skirt or bent con rod will bottom out on the crankshaft as it travels downward in the cylinder, stopping the crank from turning. The way I test for this is to remove the spark plug, put a straw down the hole until it touches the piston and turn the engine over slowly in both directions. If the crank stops turning as the piston is travelling downwards, you have a bent rod. If it stops as the piston is travelling up, bent valve. Fingers crossed for a bent valve, it's cheaper and easier to fix.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey man you get this sorted out?? My kid did this same thing last week and it’s a booger but not bad to take care of. I honestly don’t believe anything says anything more that hydrolocked,, like check the oil it’s probably many quarts over and won’t allow engine to spin?

Could also be not turning the engine over (with power not by hand) to evacuate all of the water from the head and valves. I would pull oil plug and drain all that, new oil and filter then pull spark plug and turn the engine over like your starting it watch all the water shoot out, dry the plug put it back in and listen to that Yamaha fire up!! They are made of glass amigo turning by hand won’t cut it,, give this all a try let me know. Good luck!!
ours took 3 oil changes to get clean, you have to run it with the oil changes to heat up and circulate, just around he yard no load or wheelies. 5-10 mins drain oil, change filter, repeat, end with Yamaha filter and Yamalube. Call it good, our clutch has dry weights so not an issue, drained belt and exhaust like you. Man you almost got it and I have so much faith in Yamaha it’s good not beat up and needing the head pulled.
Let us know!!
Happy 4th Ride Hard Ride Safe!!
Marshall

·
Premium Member
10,180 Posts
Welcome from Colorado.
That's for you experienced words.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts