Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Hello :)

I'm living in Finnish Lapland. I never drive ATV, I know nothing about this vehicle.
I'm trying to help a friend.

His Grizzly 700 doesn't work any more since few days. It's a 700 YFM WTHC 2014
After the firsts 500 meters of this new season (atfer the winter), the ATV stopped during running.

On the dashbord, there is "ER-1".
When we turn the key, there is no any sound (fuel pump, changing to 4x4 dosn't work, etc).

I saw many page on internet about the ER-1, it's a common error.
So, we :
- checked battery, clean contact between battery and cables, use a "booster" in case of...
- checked many connexions and look for rust.
- the horn and lights are working.
- we can try to start the engine, but the engine doesn't run alone when we release the start button.

So, we tried to use this ECU in other working Grizzly.
Same problem, same message on the LCD.
We don't try to put the working ECU in the faulty Grizzly.

The ECU seams to be dead.

Our shop ask 1400€ (1500$) to change it.

1 - Any of you knows this problem? Why the ECU can die ? (maybe it's a common problem)
2 - If we change the ECU, maybe the problem is still here and risk to kill the new ECU ? (electric problem, etc.)
3 - it's so expensive ! Do you know where we can order this part for a better price ?

Thanks for your help :)

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I don't find how to edit my post, someone knows ?

It's not a 2017 version (in the title), but 2014.

·
Registered
269 Posts
The double check would be to put the good ECU into the bad Grizzly, but I would be checking the wiring coming from the ECU for cut wires that will go to earth, it will be between the fuse & the ECM, ECM's have cut outs inside that stop burn outs, that's the theory, a burn out is very very rare, but, "stuff" can happen. As far as getting a new unit, have a look at partzilla.com & see if they ship to your country, there are other parts company & the guys might be able to put you onto better deals, though you will have to get the part no. for your friends ECU & see if they are compatible, otherwise it's a case of "thou shalt be screwed"

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your help ! :)

Sorry, I don't understand this:
"ECM's have cut outs inside that stop burn outs"
What it is ?

Maybe, could you have a picture that we need to check ?

thanks for partzilla.com !

·
Grizzled
2014 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
3,662 Posts
I don't find how to edit my post, someone knows ?

It's not a 2017 version (in the title), but 2014.
I edited the title for you on your original post. There is a timeout and you loose the ability to edit once that timeout expires. I do not recall exactly how long you have, maybe 30 minutes from when the thread is first posted.

·
Registered
269 Posts
The "cut out" is like a reusable circuit breaker inside the ECM(or ECU) it's designed to stop a power surge from a power wire shorting out to earth that could damage the ECM internals, if your friends ECM is shorted out, it would be a good idea to find out why it did this, this is why I suggest inspecting the wiring coming from the ECM for dead shorts, you don't want to put on a good ECM & have it short out as well, it is rare to have an ECM short out internally, but it can happen.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

ECM and ECU, it's the same part ?
If not, please, what is and where is the ECM ?

Is-it possible to reset a short out in a ECU ?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Yes ECM & ECU are the same part, Electronic Control Module, Electronic Control Unit, different parts of the world call it a different name.
If there's a short internally it can't be reset, something inside is burnt out, it goes in the bin.

·
Premium Member
5,697 Posts
So, is this the second possibly 2014 ecu problem on the forum?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have an 08 700 grizzly,that will run for 2 seconds then die.ive narrowed it down to ecu,or throttle position sensor.I know anything can happen,but are there any symptoms of a bad ecu?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts