Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
250 sport quad.... (Update Purchased)

Looking to pick up a sport quad for my 8 y/o son.
I know ZERO things about them..

Thinking either a Raptor 250, or a Honda TRX 250.

What is going to be the better machine?
I see one is shaft driven, and one is chain driven.
Whats the pros and cons?

What is Hondas sport clutch?
The website shows that it is a 5 speed w/ reverse.
But how does it work?

They both a good names, so I would be thinking the reliability would be about the same?

Which one is going to be faster?

He has been riding snowmobiles, dirt bikes, and UTVs his whole life. Driving a clutch is not an issue.
He is probably 51" tall, will this chassis even fit him?

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I had the Honda for 3 years. Good solid machine as long as you don't jump it too high. Great starter quad. They do about 40-45 MPH and are very user friendly.

I think the Raptor has better suspension and a manual clutch. It's probably faster as well.

For trail use I would get the Honda. If he is going to hit the track a lot get the Raptor.

FYI the Honda Recon is identical to the 250ex other than plastics and racks.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had the Honda for 3 years. Good solid machine as long as you don't jump it too high. Great starter quad. They do about 40-45 MPH and are very user friendly.

I think the Raptor has better suspension and a manual clutch. It's probably faster as well.

For trail use I would get the Honda. If he is going to hit the track a lot get the Raptor.

FYI the Honda Recon is identical to the 250ex other than plastics and racks.
Good info...

I have a grizzly 125 and a 250 Bruin that he rides on the trail.

This will be for track riding only.

Is the chassis going to fit him?
He's only about 50" tall.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
They are fairly small. May be worth having him sit on one before purchasing it. He is only going to get bigger from here but I think it would fit him fine until he hits puberty.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
The Recon won't have a sport clutch like the 250 ex. But yes, otherwise they are the same.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
For track riding the Yamaha would be better. Also may try and find a good Honda 300EX or Yamaha raptor 350 and see how that goes as long as its not too much quad for him, but would be able to use it for a longer period of time. I feel like the 250 would get boring real quick out on a track, especially the Honda 250. Not knocking it at all, my brother had a recon for years and it was a great atv we loved it! But for the intended purpose is why I'd look into the 300-350 class.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Looking to pick up a sport quad for my 8 y/o son.
I know ZERO things about them..

Thinking either a Raptor 250, or a Honda TRX 250.

What is going to be the better machine?
I see one is shaft driven, and one is chain driven.
Whats the pros and cons?

What is Hondas sport clutch?
The website shows that it is a 5 speed w/ reverse.
But how does it work?

They both a good names, so I would be thinking the reliability would be about the same?

Which one is going to be faster?

He has been riding snowmobiles, dirt bikes, and UTVs his whole life. Driving a clutch is not an issue.
He is probably 51" tall, will this chassis even fit him?

Thanks in advance...
PM member SwampdonkeyVT. He used to have a Raptor 250.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I had a raptor 250 for my girlfriend. It was a fun little machine. also had a 250 honda. The yamaha was definitely faster and handled better.

Shaft driven is more reliable from what i have experienced.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
For track riding the Yamaha would be better. Also may try and find a good Honda 300EX or Yamaha raptor 350 and see how that goes as long as its not too much quad for him, but would be able to use it for a longer period of time. I feel like the 250 would get boring real quick out on a track, especially the Honda 250. Not knocking it at all, my brother had a recon for years and it was a great atv we loved it! But for the intended purpose is why I'd look into the 300-350 class.
Just did a comparison on the Yamaha website between the 250 & the 350.
Looks like the 350 chassis is a little bit larger?
The 350 is a 6 speed with reverse, which would be awesome though.

I'll start looking for a Raptor 250..
I checked briefly yesterday, but any of the ones that were local to me were all beat up.

There were some nice ones out of state --- so looks like a road trip to me :lala:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had a raptor 250 for my girlfriend. It was a fun little machine. also had a 250 honda. The yamaha was definitely faster and handled better.

Shaft driven is more reliable from what i have experienced.

Thats what I'm talking about right there :rocker:

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Do they have a sport clutch now? Mine was a 2001 and it had an auto clutch.
I think 06 to new the 250 ex has a sport clutch. This summer I bought my son an 09 Recon and its the old auto clutch setup like i grew up using.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I had the raptor 250 and it's a beast for its size its manual with no reverse. To me seems like a lot of quad for an 8 year old... but he's your kid so I'm sure you know best. I've ridden the Honda 250x and it's great quad for beginners, it has manual shift but it doesn't stall if your not perfect and a lot more user friendly, reverse and shift driven, less chance of hitting rocks. If he's not real experienced then the 250x will work great for many years till he out grows it and can be foot or hand shifted. The raptor is much more sport oriented and easier to get in trouble with, it's very fast narrow and nimble and will last longer but have a steeper learning curve. I believe there just as fast as the 350 but with a lower top speed. There's also an R version with upgraded shocks better for track. Good luck. If you go with the raptor you might end up riding it more than him... it's that good.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Been making some calls... Found a 350 locally --- but it is one of those resell dealers which I hate.
From my experience, machines with bad history end up there.

I'm pretty sure the 250 would be enough power for him.
But the reverse on the 350 is going to be a huge benefit.
I guess just because the power is their, doesn't mean he has to use it.
At this point, I'm thinking just pulling the trigger on the best condition machine..
Will call on a few others tonight.

If this was my 10 y/o, it would be an easy decision.
Hit the dealer for a new Raptor 700.
Thankfully though, he loves his dirt bike :banana:

·
Registered
277 Posts
10 years old... raptor 700....you indeed are a mad man

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
^^ my thoughts too!! Lol

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Went last night and looked at one that was a total pile.

After I left empty handed, scanned craigslist again and found one that was just posted.
Reviewing the add, I knew this would be the one.
The pictures in his listing did not do it justice.
It's a 2008, totally mint machine. Has new tires, pipe, nerf bars, K&N filter.
For a 250, it really rumbles. My little guy can't wait to ride this weekend!

Only thing that I have to do is pull off some of the stickers.

Just wanted to say thanks for steering me toward the Raptor.
If it wasn't for everyones imput, I would've pulled the trigger on a new Honda.
And it for-surely would've disappointed performance wise.

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Final Update.

I think he's a quad kid at heart..
Was thinking of holding onto his dirt bike in case he wanted to go back to it.
But at this point, I don't think he will be switching back to two wheels anytime soon.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts