Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I just picked up a 2022 Grizzly and considering installing the EHS tuner and air box mod.
What are your guys thoughts on the tuner?
Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
848 Posts
Hello everyone, I just picked up a 2022 Grizzly and considering installing the EHS tuner and air box mod.
Thanks in advance!
I have had that tuner on my 2016 700 for over 6 years. One of the best mods I've ever done. Do you have a aftermarket pipe? If not you may want to consider one to keep everything matched up.

Reactions: MultipleMigzz

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No aftermarket pipe yet, I was considering the tuner, air box mod and slip on Barker’s exhaust.
What have you noticed different on your 2016, is that the 708 engine?

·
Premium Member
848 Posts
No aftermarket pipe yet, I was considering the tuner, air box mod and slip on Barker’s exhaust.
What have you noticed different on your 2016, is that the 708 engine?
It is the notorious 708..The biggest thing I liked was the improved throttle response, and it runs a bit cooler. No hesitation or hiccups during slo takeoffs.

My 708 did get a top end rebuild by YAMAHA a year and a half ago. It was 5 years old , and burned a little oil from time to time. Always ran perfect , and lots of power. So far so good after rebuild , but time will tell. It only smoked once in awhile at startup before rebuild , and hasn't since.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Thanks in advance!
Just ride it the way it is. I have a 2021 Grizzly and Kodiak, put the EHS programmer on both, they both turned into instant turds ! Eric is no help and others on here have said the same thing with new Grizzlys. One replied on here Eric told him it wont help or do anything on a stock bike, I played with the settings for 2 weekends and the more I put it to 0 the better they ran. So I just took them off. Use the money for other upgrades. As other have said unless you have a expensive air fuel monitor tuner your wasting your time. As far as the airbox the newer ones are fine unless you just want to spend money, I ride in very dusty conditions and there's never dust in my air tube. Enjoy the new Grizzly they're a Beast ! In fact I'll sell you my tuner for $200 if you really want one.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Superdave, I guess I’m torn between installing one or not. Was it just the tuner or did you have the air box mod as well as barkers slip on? My 2022 should be in today! We have 5 feet of snow here in northern Ontario so a nice ride will have to wait.. it -35 with the wind lol

·
Registered
129 Posts
Thanks Superdave, I guess I’m torn between installing one or not. Was it just the tuner or did you have the air box mod as well as barkers slip on? My 2022 should be in today! We have 5 feet of snow here in northern Ontario so a nice ride will have to wait.. it -35 with the wind lol
I had a MBRP slip on, no airbox mods. I took off the muffler too, it was very small like it was made for a 250.. it was loud and obnoxious! But the tuner he gives instructions for 2019. If you watch his videos it doesn't do much like it did for the older models. I just bought it to see if it helped with making the engine cooler. It might make more horsepower on his dyno but as far as drive ability it turned our perfect running machines into turds. Had no bottom end at all and unresponsive throttle. Instructions are easy but they didn't start picking up until I put them to lower numbers. I messaged Eric and he said set it like instructions say.....lol. ok that was a big help. Stock they run awesome! I talked to a guy I trust at the dealership and he said a tuner with only a couple of settings is a waste of money. He can't tune my grizzly but does sport bikes and he showed me a graph of one he did, and he had so many adjustments it was crazy. He said a Power commander that has a sensor in it would be best but your looking at a lot of money and have to weld a fitting in your header to use it I think the Barkers might get on your nerves after a while. If I was going to do anything in I would get a HMF quiet series with their tuner in a kit. But just my opinion and from what I've read on here and other videos. Ride it for a while and figure out from there. It's plenty fast and enough power as it sits. Good luck !

·
Premium Member
1,038 Posts
Thanks in advance!
I have the EHS tuner but I have the 708, I always felt the engine was running lean and choked off with keeping up with emissions, my exhaust used to glow red before I did a few mods, The tuner did make my motor run a bit cooler according to my fan not running as often as it did before the tuner, I also did the factory exhaust mod a bit later, with the tuner only my exhaust still glowed abit but not as bad, it wasn't till I did the factory exhaust mod that the glowing went away and my engine breathed a lot better, I also changed the settings in the tuner to the slip on exhaust mode, I'm not a big fan of slip on exhausts they become annoying after awhile and don't like the fact that they have very little back pressure to cushion the valves, Factory exhaust mod is a bit louder then stock but your engine breathes so much better and has some back pressure to cushion the valves, plus a lot cheaper, I updated my air filter to the 2019-22 filter and have had zero problems with dust, 7500kms on my Griz now and no problems, the new 686 i'm not sure how lean they are running compared to the 708's but I suspect they are choked off to meet emissions, My goal wasn't to gain hp but just to have my motor run alot better and not as lean and choked off, with the clutch mods I have, it does pull really good for only having 50hp to work with.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How can I tell if it’s running lean, ideally I want to make it run as smooth as possible. I haven’t had anytime to ride it plus the weather has been no good. Last night I may have noticed a back fire but just took it around the block quick. Griz7 maybe a tuner, air box mod and factory exhaust mod? What did you go with. Bike just came in last night
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I also notice the fan coming on periodically when idling in the drive way; didnt even go for a drive. it’s 25 below zero. They throw some heat.. 185 - 203 Fahrenheit when for a ride around the block and engine temp came down

·
Super Moderator
1,775 Posts
I also notice the fan coming on periodically when idling in the drive way; didnt even go for a drive. it’s 25 below zero. They throw some heat.. 185 - 203 Fahrenheit when for a ride around the block and engine temp came down
The fan comes on when the engine reaches operating temperature. It states that right in the owner's manual. It's not a sign of over heating . It's working properly.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,038 Posts
How can I tell if it’s running lean, ideally I want to make it run as smooth as possible. I haven’t had anytime to ride it plus the weather has been no good. Last night I may have noticed a back fire but just took it around the block quick. Griz7 maybe a tuner, air box mod and factory exhaust mod? What did you go with. Bike just came in last night View attachment 101896
Run it for a bit, get it broke in, the amount of heat will tell you how lean its running, my exhaust use to glow red, Eric from EHS I believe said the new 686's were running lean also to meet emissions, he has a fuel controller for them now, I just have the fuel controller and factory exhaust mod on my 16 Griz which has the 708, I just updated the air filter to the type you have which fits tighter, no problems with dust ingestion and seems to breath good, I put grease on the filters circle foam gasket to help it seal better, has made a difference for sure, I still get the little popping sound when I let off the throttle going down a hill but have learned to just touch the throttle enough and it goes away, I put my money into clutch mods which also has made a big difference where I do a lot of towing, oh... by the way beautiful machine!!!

Reactions: GrizzEPS.SE

·
Registered
17 Posts
How can I tell if it’s running lean, ideally I want to make it run as smooth as possible. I haven’t had anytime to ride it plus the weather has been no good. Last night I may have noticed a back fire but just took it around the block quick. Griz7 maybe a tuner, air box mod and factory exhaust mod? What did you go with. Bike just came in last night View attachment 101896
How has the bike been running for you?? I have the identical one but haven’t been able to get her out because of a bad back .. only 2 hrs on it .. my buddy has a 20 model and just changes oil and runs it as is and zero problems .. sure hope that’s the case for me and you also.. I added the mud reflectors and still get soaked errr lol

·
Registered
64 Posts
Thanks in advance!
I have the HMF tuner on my 09 700 with a k&n and just a cheapo black path racing exhaust tip. I did notice a difference in throttle response and slightly smoother power delivery. It's running a little rich, but Im not messing with the tuning until the winter- I might do a full system with a header and new intake.

Your new grizzly should have the same 686cc.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
How has the bike been running for you?? I have the identical one but haven’t been able to get her out because of a bad back .. only 2 hrs on it .. my buddy has a 20 model and just changes oil and runs it as is and zero problems .. sure hope that’s the case for me and you also.. I added the mud reflectors and still get soaked errr lol
Hey Danmac,

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey Danmac, so far I’m impressed with the overall performance of the bike. Right now only have 102 miles on it and haven’t even changed the oil yet. The low rang has lots of snap and the mid range power of hi is fantastic. Last ride I touched 50 mph with still some left in the throttle definitely fast enough for this guy. And yes the odd pop down hill happens still but keep on the gas slightly and it seemed to solve the problem. The ride seemed comfortable and the stock shocks seemed to absorb most of the bumps down the road. I did notice those maxis tires pick up and throw a lot of rocks however
the EPS is great, you can push it with a finger. And at high speeds it dosnt seem the dart anywhere and you feel like you’re in control.
I towed my 16ft boat and buried the trailer after the day fishing. Hooked up the warren winch and was out in a couple minutes no problem.

The one things I will say is the painted plastics. I noticed after the first ride paint had chipped from the front left fender flare and the black seemed to scrstch a little easy. However black seemed to show everything, maybe a different colour bike won’t show it as much? Sprayed some sc1 and it did hide the scratches a bit. The belt cover just above the right foot has scruffed from my boots well riding. Maybe I’m picky but I like the keep things nice looking even if it’s just a four wheeler.

Over all the ride is great and the power is plenty, hopefully you can get out and truly experience it for yourself. And I’d defiantly like to here your opinion.

This was out last ride, it’s went here in Ontario.. had a mound of grass after cleaning. Took all the skid plates off crawled under the bike and hand cleaned the whole rig. Clean as a whistle now.

let me know what you think of your time out, oranyone else’s thought, enjoy!

Hey Danmac,
Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Plant community
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey Danmac, so far I’m impressed with the overall performance of the bike. Right now only have 102 miles on it and haven’t even changed the oil yet. The low rang has lots of snap and the mid range power of hi is fantastic. Last ride I touched 50 mph with still some left in the throttle definitely fast enough for this guy. And yes the odd pop down hill happens still but keep on the gas slightly and it seemed to solve the problem. The ride seemed comfortable and the stock shocks seemed to absorb most of the bumps down the road. I did notice those maxis tires pick up and throw a lot of rocks however
the EPS is great, you can push it with a finger. And at high speeds it dosnt seem the dart anywhere and you feel like you’re in control.
I towed my 16ft boat and buried the trailer after the day fishing. Hooked up the warren winch and was out in a couple minutes no problem.

The one things I will say is the painted plastics. I noticed after the first ride paint had chipped from the front left fender flare and the black seemed to scrstch a little easy. However black seemed to show everything, maybe a different colour bike won’t show it as much? Sprayed some sc1 and it did hide the scratches a bit. The belt cover just above the right foot has scruffed from my boots well riding. Maybe I’m picky but I like the keep things nice looking even if it’s just a four wheeler.

Over all the ride is great and the power is plenty, hopefully you can get out and truly experience it for yourself. And I’d defiantly like to here your opinion.

This was out last ride, it’s went here in Ontario.. had a mound of grass after cleaning. Took all the skid plates off crawled under the bike and hand cleaned the whole rig. Clean as a whistle now.

let me know what you think of your time out, oranyone else’s thought, enjoy!

View attachment 102954 View attachment 102955 View attachment 102956
Thanks for the response and I get you I like keeping my bikes looking good also.. The paint is a huge disappointment if my bike that I will look after looks like it’s 10 years old after a year errrr but what do you do .. I would have gotten the eps model but did not like the two colour options we have here in Canada .. and the dealer wanted my trade in so I went for it as these things are still extremely hard to get in Nova Scotia. The dealer already had the front bumper and fender flares added and I added the synthetic winch upgrade , handwormers and skids witch are insanely pricy .. I can’t wait to get her out for a long ride but what I did notice so far was the handling compared to my 21 outlander .. it’s way better and much lighter and the power steering is spot on .. I never felt like I could find the right setting on the outlander .. and as of now I’m not sure what to think of the zilla tires.. I’m not much of a mud guy these days and would like to switch to a big Horne OG but as Im finding out there is not a lot of tire options if I want to keep the 10 front to back .. oh and I would like a little higher handle bar I feel there a little low for me .. I’m 6ft and could use a 2 inch riser if there out there .. can’t find much info other then Rox risers .. but I appreciate your response and will definitely update you once I get her out for a real good rip thanks again buddy and stay safe out there

·
Super Moderator
1,775 Posts
Not really sure what you guys are doing to damage that painted plastic that easy. That's industrial paint the same thing used on heavy equipment It will take some serious impacts before it'll scratch or chip and I've had some first-hand experience with it on mine The only thing that has damaged mine so far has been a raccoon that sunk his nail into my fender trying to get up onto the bike to get at the bird feeder that was sitting above it. Other than that hard impacts from rocks branches they just glance off don't leave a mark. I did give mine to good coats of wax when I first got the bike but I've never done it again since that does help a lot with anything hitting and going across it preventing scratches. But it doesn't really help for heavy rock hits. Yeah I've never had any stone chips yet in almost 3 years. And my reptiles really like to throw the stones.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Not really sure what you guys are doing to damage that painted plastic that easy. That's industrial paint the same thing used on heavy equipment It will take some serious impacts before it'll scratch or chip and I've had some first-hand experience with it on mine The only thing that has damaged mine so far has been a raccoon that sunk his nail into my fender trying to get up onto the bike to get at the bird feeder that was sitting above it. Other than that hard impacts from rocks branches they just glance off don't leave a mark. I did give mine to good coats of wax when I first got the bike but I've never done it again since that does help a lot with anything hitting and going across it preventing scratches. But it doesn't really help for heavy rock hits. Yeah I've never had any stone chips yet in almost 3 years. And my reptiles really like to throw the stones.

That’s great to hear I sure hope that’s the case for me to. Time will tell

1 - 20 of 36 Posts