Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Hey Danmac, so far I’m impressed with the overall performance of the bike. Right now only have 102 miles on it and haven’t even changed the oil yet. The low rang has lots of snap and the mid range power of hi is fantastic. Last ride I touched 50 mph with still some left in the throttle definitely fast enough for this guy. And yes the odd pop down hill happens still but keep on the gas slightly and it seemed to solve the problem. The ride seemed comfortable and the stock shocks seemed to absorb most of the bumps down the road. I did notice those maxis tires pick up and throw a lot of rocks however
the EPS is great, you can push it with a finger. And at high speeds it dosnt seem the dart anywhere and you feel like you’re in control.
I towed my 16ft boat and buried the trailer after the day fishing. Hooked up the warren winch and was out in a couple minutes no problem.

The one things I will say is the painted plastics. I noticed after the first ride paint had chipped from the front left fender flare and the black seemed to scrstch a little easy. However black seemed to show everything, maybe a different colour bike won’t show it as much? Sprayed some sc1 and it did hide the scratches a bit. The belt cover just above the right foot has scruffed from my boots well riding. Maybe I’m picky but I like the keep things nice looking even if it’s just a four wheeler.

Over all the ride is great and the power is plenty, hopefully you can get out and truly experience it for yourself. And I’d defiantly like to here your opinion.

This was out last ride, it’s went here in Ontario..

Hey Danmac,
View attachment 102954 View attachment 102955
Not really sure what you guys are doing to damage that painted plastic that easy. That's industrial paint the same thing used on heavy equipment It will take some serious impacts before it'll scratch or chip and I've had some first-hand experience with it on mine The only thing that has damaged mine so far has been a raccoon that sunk his nail into my fender trying to get up onto the bike to get at the bird feeder that was sitting above it. Other than that hard impacts from rocks branches they just glance off don't leave a mark. I did give mine to good coats of wax when I first got the bike but I've never done it again since that does help a lot with anything hitting and going across it preventing scratches. But it doesn't really help for heavy rock hits. Yeah I've never had any stone chips yet in almost 3 years. And my reptiles really like to throw the stones.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
canadiankodiak700 I’ll try and get some picture when I’m back home for ya.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I have the HMF tuner on my 09 700 with a k&n and just a cheapo black path racing exhaust tip. I did notice a difference in throttle response and slightly smoother power delivery. It's running a little rich, but Im not messing with the tuning until the winter- I might do a full system with a header and new intake.

Your new grizzly should have the same 686cc.
Chicken Bone could you send me a link of what you have? Thanks

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Sure thing. HMF Fuel Optimizer HMF Optimizer & black path racing open exhaust tip. It takes out the internal baffle but still has the spark arrestor mesh. Definitely allows more airflow. 2007-2013 Yamaha Grizzly 700 Exhaust Tip
did you like that set up and would you recommend it over EHS?
Sure thing. HMF Fuel Optimizer HMF Optimizer & black path racing open exhaust tip. It takes out the internal baffle but still has the spark arrestor mesh. Definitely allows more airflow. 2007-2013 Yamaha Grizzly 700 Exhaust Tip
Would you recommend that set up over EHS? What did you notice different from stock what settings did you try?

·
Registered
61 Posts
did you like that set up and would you recommend it over EHS?

Would you recommend that set up over EHS? What did you notice different from stock what settings did you try?
I noticed more low end and mid range and smoother power delivery. They look pretty similar. At a quick look, both seem to be piggyback fuel tuners essentially fooling the efi and dumping fuel in.

I just did a plug and play and didn't mess with the settings yet. It comes from the factory at a setting for the HMF exhaust, but my set up is not as free flowing and doesn't move as much air so it's a little rich. I'm not messing with it yet until the winter. It does the job.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·

·
Registered
61 Posts
How does the winter help cooler temps? I’m almost considering putting an HMF tuner like yours and pipe on.

thanks Chicken Bone.
The cold air is more dense and more fuel is needed for the proper mixture. The simple fuel injection systems on quads and motorcycles do not have as many sensors and monitoring points as cars so they can't adapt to a lot of variables. I want to see how it runs in the winter before I start messing with it. Cuz it works great now lol.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Not really sure what you guys are doing to damage that painted plastic that easy. That's industrial paint the same thing used on heavy equipment It will take some serious impacts before it'll scratch or chip and I've had some first-hand experience with it on mine The only thing that has damaged mine so far has been a raccoon that sunk his nail into my fender trying to get up onto the bike to get at the bird feeder that was sitting above it. Other than that hard impacts from rocks branches they just glance off don't leave a mark. I did give mine to good coats of wax when I first got the bike but I've never done it again since that does help a lot with anything hitting and going across it preventing scratches. But it doesn't really help for heavy rock hits. Yeah I've never had any stone chips yet in almost 3 years. And my reptiles really like to throw the stones.

kodiak here’s what I mean.

Vehicle Hood Automotive tire Tire Automotive lighting
Automotive tire Hood Automotive design Motor vehicle Vehicle
Vehicle Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Plant

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Any idea of gravel size? I’ve got around 30 miles on mine with probably 5/8- most of the time and haven’t seen a nick yet… obviously you have issue and my dealer did talk about a radiator he felt got taken out by Zillas
Mira definitely possible for a rad, as for gravel size not hundred percent sure. Typical bush road, fire wood truck

·
Registered
61 Posts
How does the winter help cooler temps? I’m almost considering putting an HMF tuner like yours and pipe on.

thanks Chicken Bone.
As an update, I drilled a few holes in the internal baffle if the muffler and I gained some more airflow. In turn, the mixture leaned out and it run much better. Still no backfiring and it got rid of the random stutter at times when alternating from engine braking to throttle during fast downhill sections. Got a little louder too. Note: I did not change the fuel setting in the tuner.

I heard a grizzly with the baffleless HMF over the weekend and its so loud it will not be legal in sanctioned woods races or events. Maybe even most off-road riding areas. Like it was so loud it was obnoxious.

·
Super Moderator
1,771 Posts
That black area isn't painted that's just normal plastic and the scratches there look normal for any bike.
But I will say that your chips on that front fender definitely do not look normal. I almost would say it's a combination of two things, one being possibly poor prep work before they painted it, and two being that paint looks extremely thin compared to my tactical black paint on my 18 Kodiak. I had a raccoon scratch mine, and that was the first thing I noticed how thick that layer of paint was on my left rear fender, basically right where the back of the thigh of a two-up passenger would touch. It's a deep scratch right down to the base layer primer, I have even picked around a little bit with the edge of a knife just to remove anything loose but there was nothing,it's bonded very well.
I've seen a lot of these SE's with the painted fenders, and most just have minor surface scratching that can be buffed away with a little bit of wax, never anything chipped like yours. That definitely doesn't seem right, and I don't blame you for being disappointed.
FYI if you haven't done it yet, applying to really good coats of quality Carnauba wax, we'll go a long ways in stopping scratches even minor surface scratching. That was the first thing that was done to my bike when I got it home, well after a short 20 km ride to test it out.

·
Super Moderator
1,771 Posts
As an update, I drilled a few holes in the internal baffle if the muffler and I gained some more airflow. In turn, the mixture leaned out and it run much better. Still no backfiring and it got rid of the random stutter at times when alternating from engine braking to throttle during fast downhill sections. Got a little louder too. Note: I did not change the fuel setting in the tuner.

I heard a grizzly with the baffleless HMF over the weekend and its so loud it will not be legal in sanctioned woods races or events. Maybe even most off-road riding areas. Like it was so loud it was obnoxious.
What? What did you say? Can you speak louder...
Apparently we just had a new kid start at work on one of the other crews, he seen my Kodiak parked at the shop all last week, as I used it to travel to work while the brakes were toast on my truck and I was waiting to get into a garage.
This kid has an older 660 griz with a set of barkers duals. Omg, he came into work the other morning when I was leaving after my night shift, we were outside chatting & coffee, while my supervisor was having a smoke. I think we all became deaf. That exhaust was so loud and of course being a young little idiot, he had to try to show off and rev it up when he pulled in next to my bike to park. It literally hurt the ears. After he shut it off, my supervisor told him to shove a couple of pairs of socks in it so it makes it sound normal, and told him not to be revenant in the yard anymore, especially when there's a bunch of people standing outside because not everybody appreciates that sound like he apparently does. Lol

·
Registered
61 Posts
What? What did you say? Can you speak louder...
Apparently we just had a new kid start at work on one of the other crews, he seen my Kodiak parked at the shop all last week, as I used it to travel to work while the brakes were toast on my truck and I was waiting to get into a garage.
This kid has an older 660 griz with a set of barkers duals. Omg, he came into work the other morning when I was leaving after my night shift, we were outside chatting & coffee, while my supervisor was having a smoke. I think we all became deaf. That exhaust was so loud and of course being a young little idiot, he had to try to show off and rev it up when he pulled in next to my bike to park. It literally hurt the ears. After he shut it off, my supervisor told him to shove a couple of pairs of socks in it so it makes it sound normal, and told him not to be revenant in the yard anymore, especially when there's a bunch of people standing outside because not everybody appreciates that sound like he apparently does. Lol

Lol yes exactly. I was walking across the parking lot and the guy starts it with his thumb on the throttle. Must have been 10 people at the sign-up camper that jumped Like what the heck dude. It was the loudest bike there this weekend and it was a parking lot warrior haha

·
Super Moderator
1,771 Posts
Lol yes exactly. I was walking across the parking lot and the guy starts it with his thumb on the throttle. Must have been 10 people at the sign-up camper that jumped Like what the heck dude. It was the loudest bike there this weekend and it was a parking lot warrior haha
I guess I'm getting old, I want mine quieter, deeper tone but quieter. Lol

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Good tip!!!! I plan to do that. Thanks!

FYI if you haven't done it yet, applying to really good coats of quality Carnauba wax, we'll go a long ways in stopping scratches even minor surface scratching. That was the first thing that was done to my bike when I got it home, well after a short 20 km ride to test it out.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts