Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I ordered a complete set of Elka stage 3s threw an Ontario vender. Hope I don’t regret this!!!!....

Alot of my trails are terribly rough and my front shocks ride harsh as hell, even with the spring preload set to minimum. The rears are not as bad..

So that the story, I got fed up and I took the Elka plunge. Wish me luck!

·
Premium Member
10,958 Posts
:)
Of course with the wife's blessing. ?
You going to have the Brown Truck deliver to work, or home?
Generally Zale's jewelry is another 50% for wife blessing.

Reactions: jvictory1974

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:)
Of course with the wife's blessing. ?
You going to have the Brown Truck deliver to work, or home?
Generally Zale's jewelry is another 50% for wife blessing.
I'm not married ( never been), nor do I have live with anyone. So it's an easy and simple process in my position.

·
Premium Member
2,229 Posts
I ordered a complete set of Elka stage 3s threw an Ontario vender. Hope I don’t regret this!!!!....

Alot of my trails are terribly rough and my front shocks ride harsh as hell, even with the spring preload set to minimum. The rears are not as bad..

I've had 3 big rides on mine so far and I.m getting them dialed good now. I ride really rough rocky mountain trails mostly and I don't regret the investment. They soak up the rocks awesome and help me not feel as beat up after long rides. Let us know how you like them.

Reactions: Vincent

·
Registered
187 Posts
Awesome , looking forward to a review. I plan on getting sets for my wife’s 16 and my 17 kodiak this winter.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Nice call on ordering the shocks. Are they going to be in your hands soon? They are behind on production. I hope to get mine my Halloween.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice call on ordering the shocks. Are they going to be in your hands soon? They are behind on production. I hope to get mine my Halloween.
They figure early November..

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've had 3 big rides on mine so far and I.m getting them dialed good now. I ride really rough rocky mountain trails mostly and I don't regret the investment. They soak up the rocks awesome and help me not feel as beat up after long rides. Let us know how you like them.
That's what I wanted to hear. Thanks

·
Premium Member
669 Posts
I'm jealous, I have looked at the Elka stage 3 also but the price of them always scares me off, I am looking forward to your honest review though, if these Elka shocks were more reasonable in pricing like say 800 bucks for a set of stage 3 shocks, my Griz would be wearing a set, but for around $1800 bucks Canadian plus tax, that's $500bucks a wheel from Elka, I think I will drive slower, best of luck Vincent.

Reactions: CanadianKodiak700

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I'm jealous, I have looked at the Elka stage 3 also but the price of them always scares me off, I am looking forward to your honest review though, if these Elka shocks were more reasonable in pricing like say 800 bucks for a set of stage 3 shocks, my Griz would be wearing a set, but for around $1800 bucks Canadian plus tax, that's $500bucks a wheel from Elka, I think I will drive slower, best of luck Vincent.
I find the price scary too, don't worry about that!

I believe It's the internal valving of my front shocks. It's like there isn't enough oil moving back and forth from either side of the shock pistons... It makes for harsh energy transfer into the handlebars over every trail imperfection.

With the colder weather, and hand arthitis starting because of the seasonal changes, I'm noticing it alot more.

·
Premium Member
669 Posts
Yes the weather plays hell with my joints to, now that i'm getting older, cold damp weather and storms moving in never use to bother me but i'm starting to mind it now, I hope the Elka stage 3 shocks gives you some more comfort when out enjoying the great outdoors on your new Griz, looking forward to your review.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
@Vincent good luck with the elkas! I’ve never been able to justify the cost to spend that much money. Have you noticed if your stock front shocks were leaking oil? That could make a big difference if they’d lost all their oil. Even with the stock Zillas mine rides really plush. Shocks are set on the softest setting. What about your growlers? Did you adjust your tire pressure to help give a plusher ride? Are the growlers 8 ply?

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
@Vincent good luck with the elkas! I’ve never been able to justify the cost to spend that much money. Have you noticed if your stock front shocks were leaking oil? That could make a big difference if they’d lost all their oil. Even with the stock Zillas mine rides really plush. Shocks are set on the softest setting. What about your growlers? Did you adjust your tire pressure to help give a plusher ride? Are the growlers 8 ply?
My tires are 6 plys Growlers, set at 3.5 psi, no leaks on the shocks.

Zillas are a very soft tire and I'm thinking the front shocks were calibrated for them. In 2019 the SE Grizzly shocks had a different part number by one digital compared to the EPS model

How are your Zillas holding up? My 14" wheels edges were getting damaged and my zillas started missing small chunks within 200 kms.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts

Zillas are a very soft tire and I'm thinking the front shocks were calibrated for them. In 2019 the SE Grizzly shocks had a different part number by one digital compared to the EPS model

How are your Zillas holding up? My 14" wheels edges were getting damaged and my zillas started missing small chunks within 200 kms.
[/QUOTE

I’ve got a little over 2000 miles on the zillas and don’t see any reason I won’t get 2000 more. They seem to be wearing evenly. They’ve been ridden in a wide variety of terrain and conditions, from the bighorn mountains in Wyoming, the black hills in South Dakota and the San Juan mountains in Colorado. Plus muddy trails here in Missouri and on our farm....plenty of cow crap and thorn sprouts! LOL No plugs or leaks. I’ve been impressed so far. I’ve got scuffs on my wheels but nothing to be concerned about.

The different part number on the shock is because of the shock spring color. Mine are different from yours. I don’t think theirs any other differences.
Good luck with the elkas!

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Thanks for sharing all that!
The shock spring colours would make sense.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
The screen shot doesn’t open well on my stupid phone but for 2019 Yamaha had a black SE, like yours. Then they had a special edition like mine (blue).Did yours come with a winch? Because mine didn’t. I went to partshark and it has a separate listing for the SE and Grizzly Spec. I’ll try and attach. Hopefully you can open it

Attachments

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The screen shot doesn’t open well on my stupid phone but for 2019 Yamaha had a black SE, like yours. Then they had a special edition like mine (blue).Did yours come with a winch? Because mine didn’t. I went to partshark and it has a separate listing for the SE and Grizzly Spec. I’ll try and attach. Hopefully you can open it
I did find that already and it supports what you say.....

Baught mine used with the full LE package already installed. From my understanding the tactical black ones all had winches factory installed

·
Registered
56 Posts
Congratulations on the commitment! hope you find nirvana. Please do fill us in on the shakeout, very interested.

Grip

·
Registered
2018 Grizz EHS tuner EHS airbox and lid ROX risers with FLY bars AIS delete 2R tip
15 Posts

Awesome
I’m about to do the same for my 18 Griz

1 - 20 of 37 Posts