Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2020 kodiak 450SE
66 Posts
Rebound damping will be nice. Hauling ass over "whoops" gets real sketchy in a hurry without it I've noticed haha.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Thanks guys!

I just did 120 miles of riding in 2 days with my child hood bud who owns / rides my old 550.

I'm soooo freaken done with these factory front shocks..... Seriously done...... Really hoping this investment pays off....

·
Grizzled
2014 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
3,708 Posts
Well, a while back I was able to hop on a 16 with Elka stage4 all around, running bighorn originals and I was absolutely blown away by the difference. That was comparing to my 07 Grizzly at the time. I've been envious ever since but just can't justify spending that kind of money right now. I'm pretty sure you will be VERY pleased with the 3s.

Reactions: Vincent

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #24

·
Registered
19 Posts
I first put on snowmobile shocks I just matched up at our local salvage yard, loved them, I blew one out so I figured I’d try Bronko’s, gave my buddy my snowmobile shocks (mistake) and he had them rebuilt and now couldn’t be happier!! I put on the Broncos thinking they would be a good ride after reading many reviews. I was wrong cuz they rode like sh-t !!!! Now they sit in corner of garage, anyways I broke down and bought the Stage3. They do ride a heck of a lot better than stock and the Broncos but I’d say the snowmobile shocks I had rode just as good. Are the stage3’s worth the money? My honest opinion is they are a good ride and a must have but not worth what I paid for them.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I first put on snowmobile shocks I just matched up at our local salvage yard, loved them, I blew one out so I figured I’d try Bronko’s, gave my buddy my snowmobile shocks (mistake) and he had them rebuilt and now couldn’t be happier!! I put on the Broncos thinking they would be a good ride after reading many reviews. I was wrong cuz they rode like sh-t !!!! Now they sit in corner of garage, anyways I broke down and bought the Stage3. They do ride a heck of a lot better than stock and the Broncos but I’d say the snowmobile shocks I had rode just as good. Are the stage3’s worth the money? My honest opinion is they are a good ride and a must have but not worth what I paid for them.

Happen to remember what kind of sled it was you took them out of? I know on my old YFZ I used a set of Polaris 440 float shocks and had them rebuilt and had that quad super fun to beat on.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Happen to remember what kind of sled it was you took them out of? I know on my old YFZ I used a set of Polaris 440 float shocks and had them rebuilt and had that quad super fun to beat on.
No but next time I see my buddy I’ll find out, if I ever do it again like update my wheeler I’m gonna just match the shocks from wheeler to any decent pair of sled shocks, it doesn’t have to be a perfect match, and from salvage yard you might spend at very most a couple hundred, sure as hell beats 1300 to 1400. I only spent 100 and no kidding they rode just as good if not better than the stage3 !!!!!!!!

·
Registered
801 Posts
I ordered a complete set of Elka stage 3s threw an Ontario vender. Hope I don’t regret this!!!!....

Alot of my trails are terribly rough and my front shocks ride harsh as hell, even with the spring preload set to minimum. The rears are not as bad..

So that the story, I got fed up and I took the Elka plunge. Wish me luck!
You will like them. Ran Stage 2's for years with remote reservoirs. Will be my next upgrade for my XP 1000 sportsman
Rock piles that you used to brace for before running over vanish to a little bump. Can ride much faster than stockers and a lot less tired at the end of the day. good luck

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #29

·
Registered
41 Posts
eye to eye is 14.25 in
i bet there are alot of shocks that wold work
Not sure where you got that number. I thought I read it was 17-5/8”....

·
Registered
943 Posts
Not sure where you got that number. I thought I read it was 17-5/8”....
The shocks were shorter on 07-13 models. In 2014 they widened the stance and went to longer shocks. Your 16 would also have the longer shocks.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I ride with 500 Polaris shocks in the back and it's a comfort paradise.

Only problem, you must weigh less than 160 kilos otherwise it is too flexible.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I recently measured the shock lengths mounted on the bike, spring pressure to minimal. if memory served me right, eye to eye rears were 16.75"and fronts 15.75" long.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Planning on taking mine off this weekend for a measurement, I got a buddy who owns a snowmobile parts place so I’ll have him find me something in the length I need. Test out a few options but I’m pretty sure I can find a set of SkiDoo piggy backs for the fronts just need to figure out the rear

·
Registered
185 Posts
Planning on taking mine off this weekend for a measurement, I got a buddy who owns a snowmobile parts place so I’ll have him find me something in the length I need. Test out a few options but I’m pretty sure I can find a set of SkiDoo piggy backs for the fronts just need to figure out the rear
Please keep us posted, sure would be nice to find alternatives to $ 1500 shocks .

Reactions: Cash

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
This is interesting and worthy of it own thread.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts