Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, on my 2014 kodi there is an engine oil drain bolt, probably takes a 7/8" socket...(I get that)...beside it is a second drain plug with an Allen head...what is that for ? Never removed it yet...

·
Registered
2016 green 700
87 Posts
Differential oil drain plug has the Allen head.
So, on my 2014 kodi there is an engine oil drain bolt, probably takes a 7/8" socket...(I get that)...beside it is a second drain plug with an Allen head...what is that for ? Never removed it yet...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is that a second drain plug ? I say that because there is a drain and a fill plug for the rear diff at the rear .

·
Registered
2016 green 700
87 Posts
Fill plug is not Allen. Differential fill plugs are horizontal.
Is that a second drain plug ? I say that because there is a drain and a fill plug for the rear diff at the rear .

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pardon my ignorance here but why would there be a diff drain plug beside the engine oil drain plug ?... the rear diff has its own drain plug seperate from what I am trying to identify.

·
Registered
2016 green 700
87 Posts
I don’t have a kodi and I’m not sure how similar they are to my 16 grizz but I never had an issue identifying one or the other. On mine they are far enough apart to know that they’re not for the same thing. The diff plug is considerable more up front than the oil plug. Hope my info can help you. I’m not a pro myself.
Pardon my ignorance here but why would there be a diff drain plug beside the engine oil drain plug ?... the rear diff has its own drain plug seperate from what I am trying to identify.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When I get a chance I will post a picture..that may help clarify

·
Registered
2016 green 700
87 Posts
One drains diff other drains engine. Mine are at least 6 inches apart.
When I get a chance I will post a picture..that may help clarify

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
Your Kodiak does not use standard hardware. Everything is metric hardware.
Do not use SAE sockets or wrenches on metric hardware.

Reactions: mainegrizz660

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just read another similar thread, could the other drain plug I'm referring to be the transfer case drain?.
If so I thought the engine oil and transfer case were the same..as in they both fill with engine oil.

·
Registered
192 Posts
My kids kodiak 450 has same. The oil drain plug is a 19mm I think and there is a spring loaded screen filter in there. It likes to fly off from the force of the spring (never seen another drain like this on 10 other machines maybe?). I also have an Allen head bolt next to the drain oil drain plug. It’s to the side snd doesn’t directly line up with the hole I. The skid plate. I wondered what that is for also?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Yes, same thing here..allan head plug beside the engine oil drain. I checked the manual and it says nothing about it.
BTW..2014 KODI 450 EPS

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry for the delay. The drain plug in question is the small Allen head one. It's right beside the engine oil drain .

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
Just for clarification on the subject, the Allen head drain bolt is the ACTUAL correct oil drain plug. Many Yamaha models use it, and have been using that same drain plug for decades. Although most do not even realize it.

The large drain plug with the spring and metal screen is the oil pump pickup screen. The metal screen is the first defense to filter out larger particles from going through the oil pump. It is normal to see aluminum flakes or slivers in that screen. It should be cleaned on every oil change anyway, and is the largest drain on the bottom of the engine, so most think it's the drain plug. It drains all the oil and does the same thing as the correct drain plug, so it doesn't really matter.

Reactions: reogem

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Dezz..new I could count on you 😉

·
Registered
192 Posts
Just for clarification on the subject, the Allen head drain bolt is the ACTUAL correct oil drain plug. Many Yamaha models use it, and have been using that same drain plug for decades. Although most do not even realize it.

The large drain plug with the spring and metal screen is the oil pump pickup screen. The metal screen is the first defense to filter out larger particles from going through the oil pump. It is normal to see aluminum flakes or slivers in that screen. It should be cleaned on every oil change anyway, and is the largest drain on the bottom of the engine, so most think it's the drain plug. It drains all the oil and does the same thing as the correct drain plug, so it doesn't really matter.
Weird how the Allen head drain doesn’t line up with the hole in the skid plate though?? Thanks for the clarification as I thought it was odd. I’ve sold my kodiak recently but this is good info

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 16 of 16 Posts