Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just some quick questions.

when it comes to one way clutches is brand a big factor? Example a Caltric one way is only 13$. or should i go for a better brand?

And im putting a new top end on my 600. The bore is still with the factory max spec, but not by much. max is 95.1mm and my bore at its max is 95.06. so its in spec but not by alot. I can either throw a new piston in and just hone the bore. keep it std piston.

I did find out a local shop does boring and honing. gotta call and find out how much. and pretty much all the over size pistons are the same price. So should i just go to the 95.5mm piston or go big and do the 98mm big bore? I know not many still run the 600 Grizz but is the 98mm a 675? and is it worth it to bore up that far?

·
Premium Member
12,259 Posts
Only use a O.E.M. one-way, or learn why this is recommended :)
As for the bore, the more you go the more problems with fuel delivery required. The K.I.S.S. system is to be considered.

Reactions: mainegrizz660

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
just some quick questions.

when it comes to one way clutches is brand a big factor? Example a Caltric one way is only 13$. or should i go for a better brand?

And im putting a new top end on my 600. The bore is still with the factory max spec, but not by much. max is 95.1mm and my bore at its max is 95.06. so its in spec but not by alot. I can either throw a new piston in and just hone the bore. keep it std piston.

I did find out a local shop does boring and honing. gotta call and find out how much. and pretty much all the over size pistons are the same price. So should i just go to the 95.5mm piston or go big and do the 98mm big bore? I know not many still run the 600 Grizz but is the 98mm a 675? and is it worth it to bore up that far?
No way a 2.5 mm over bore is going to turn your 600 to a 675cc ....

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i apologize that's the 635 bore. Im not sure what the mm piston is for the 675. Nor can i even find it now.

Im leaning towards going up to the 95.5 just to make sure its all fresh.

edit. its a 101mm piston to have a 675. You can still buy it. and i believe requires the case to be bored as well.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
i apologize that's the 635 bore. Im not sure what the mm piston is for the 675. Nor can i even find it now.

Im leaning towards going up to the 95.5 just to make sure its all fresh.
Mite as well get the shop to check the head while your at it...

Check head for flatness, check valves and guides, lap valve seats , change valve seals etc....

·
Registered
2,773 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah i planned on doing the seals for sure. It didnt smoke, but id bet id rebuild the top end and if i skipped them they'd start leaking. and how would one check flatness? good straight edge?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
can visual inspection tell me if the one way is worn? engine braking was working fine.

·
Premium Member
12,259 Posts
can visual inspection tell me if the one way is worn? engine braking was working fine.
The seat of the pants test works here.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Doesn't the one way riding on the inside of the drum of the wet clutch control engine braking?

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
There is a one way for the starter system and a one way on the wet cluch shaft behind the primary sheave.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Anywho. As for an update. Is it normal for shops not to want to give an estimate for boring? Everyone I called says they can't give an estimate without having the cylinder and the piston I want to use. I get that the job may be pretty different from machine to machine and they may go by and hourly rate, but I would think they could at least give a ball park estimate.

·
Premium Member
2007 grizz 660 camo sold 2019 honda passport 2001 breeze 125
3,489 Posts
Around here same thing seems pretty common

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
So im still waiting on my parts, but one thing i noticed is i checked the side to side clearance on the big end of the rod. and while the does fall within the .65mm max. (Edit so i looked again and 1mm is the max. and .35mm to .65mm is normal.) Currently .55mm. Its still concerning. The big end of the rod can move left to right on the crank. and when it does it does make a little clank noise. there is no play vertically in the big end, but that horizontal play does concern me. anyone else run into this? im gonna take a video of it and post it in a few.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well got my top end kit in today. And just test fitting the piston in the cylinder it fits only slightly better. Not sure wether just to send it back and shoot for the over bore or try it and see. According to the SM everything should be in spec but I just don't see the piston fitting with that much wiggle in the bore. Nor do I see it actually getting rid of the noise I heard.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts