Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long do you have to let your Kodiak warm up before you're riding? Mine seems to want to sputter if I give it throttle until it has run a couple minutes.
I just put on a new carb, fuel line, filter, spark plug, after flushing the gas tank and installing a new air filter...
It didn't run at all before that and had been sitting for ~2 years. Could the new carb need adjusting maybe? It is a Chinese knock off which I decided to try before sinking the big money into a carb. I know they are hit or miss! Your thoughts?
Thanks in advance for any ideas.
fergy

·
Registered
225 Posts
I think that’s typical of any ATV I’ve ever had with a carburetor. I always let mine warm up four or five minutes before I takeoff, my kodiak 700 with fuel injection would be fine and run like a car when cold but I always let it warm up anyway. If you need to takeoff right away leave the choke on part way and then it would probably run fine. It really sounds normal to me.

·
Premium Member
2,146 Posts
Seems normal from what I remember about all my old carb quads. The Hondas was the worse ones that I had.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK then, All my motorcycles were carb and always needed some warm up time to smooth out so I'm going to let it go and ride. It seemed to be smoother last night when I started it and it performed just fine in a ride around the hood. It is pretty steep coming up from the park by Lake Buchanan and it didn't hesitate to haul my fat butt up the hill. Still learning how it starts, with a little throttle or not? Choke or not? That kind of thing...

·
Premium Member
3,123 Posts
Yup my 660 she is cold blooded i do full choke for a min or two an then make its way down and off i go

·
Registered
58 Posts
I give both of mine a chance to warm up, at least until I can they will stay idling without the choke on. The 350 is more temperamental than the 600, with the idle high it likes to "jump" when engaging the gears so I just wait till they warm up before riding. My routine is to start first then dawn the apparel and by then it is warm enough to start to ride.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think mine just had the jitters from not being run for so long. It has been smooth since that first start. I still let it warm up a bit before putting a load on it but it is running like new.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I dont like idling in general and hence also avoid warm up by idling. Maybe 10sec....but I DO NOT push the bike until its warm

1 - 9 of 9 Posts