Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

New to the group and have a few questions on a used 2011 Yamaha Kodiak 450 I just purchased.

The previous owner stated the EPS doesn't work and never worked after about 1500KM. He never bothered to look into it as he was fine with the manual steering as its a small bike. I was ok with this but it would be nice to see if I can get to the bottom of it.

From what I understand the EPS light is supposed to come on when the bike is started and turn off shortly after. My problem is the light doesn't come on at all. I've done some "web" troubleshooting and managed to find the EPS fuse under the seat. I removed it and there was a lot of dust and dirt in the connector as well as the connectors are a bit "green" (corrosion?).

I would like to clean all connections but not sure where the PS motor etc. is located. Also, whats the easiest way to tell the fuse is blown? I'm a handy person but just learning the world of ATV's for the time being. Any help would be appreciated. A service manual would be ideal but hard to come by from my searching.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
welcome to the forum. i have the same year and model. i know for a fact that EPS does not work with aftermarket CDI's on our model, so check to make sure your CDI is stock first.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. Again I'm still learning where everything is on this bike. I'll check that out as well as connectors fuses etc.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I purchased the service manual online and it was great for helping me identify the different components and wiring schematics. I discovered that there was only one wire connected out five to the eps control unit and they were just hanging there. I don't know if this was intentional bu the previous owner but he just told me it stopped working and he never bothered looking into it. As a result of being disconnected they are packed with mud and dirt.

Whats the best way to get these cleaned out? I have tried compressed air and while it helped it never got everything out.

It may be as simple as reconnecting once clean to get it working or at least get into diagnostics to see what the issue is. Should i put dielectric grease on them once cleaned?

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I've always had good luck cleaning connections with WD-40, a rag, and a nylon bristle brush.

And yes, use di-electric grease to your hearts content. Fill the connection and it will just push out the excess when you connect it.

·
Premium Member
2,205 Posts
Electrical contact cleaner works awesome for cleaning an electrical connection and when it dries it leaves no residue. Best way to check a fuse is use a volt meter and check resistance across the fuse should be near zero , easiest way to check is put a new one in and if that's not the problem you have a spare and fuses are cheap. With those wires hanging around you could have a bad fuse on top of the original problem....good luck.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As mentioned before 4 out of 5 cables from EPS control unit were disconnected. I cleaned them with electrical contact cleaner but they still won't "click" and stay connected. There could be a buildup of dirt deep in the connector preventing it. I might just leave it be as I might cause more problems than its worth. It operates fine without EPS but would be nice to have.

·
Premium Member
2,205 Posts
As mentioned before 4 out of 5 cables from EPS control unit were disconnected. I cleaned them with electrical contact cleaner but they still won't "click" and stay connected. There could be a buildup of dirt deep in the connector preventing it. I might just leave it be as I might cause more problems than its worth. It operates fine without EPS but would be nice to have.
When I was having EPS problems you could tell a big difference when it was working or not..... might be a case of don't miss what you never had.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When I was having EPS problems you could tell a big difference when it was working or not..... might be a case of don't miss what you never had.
Do you mean you couldn't tell a big difference? I've never had it and don't mind the steering the way it is now (although it could be tighter, might need an adjustment). I took off the front hood last night and noticed the red wired snipped leading to the EPS light lol. One of the previous owners didn't want to deal with it I suppose. At this point there we would be too many trouble points and frustration trying to get this working. I could clean all the connectors and fix the EPS light wire but then it could be the EPS control unit or the EPS motor causing the issue. I think I'm going to treat it as a non EPS model and drive...its mechanically sound in every other way.

·
Premium Member
2,205 Posts
Do you mean you couldn't tell a big difference? I've never had it and don't mind the steering the way it is now (although it could be tighter, might need an adjustment). I took off the front hood last night and noticed the red wired snipped leading to the EPS light lol. One of the previous owners didn't want to deal with it I suppose. At this point there we would be too many trouble points and frustration trying to get this working. I could clean all the connectors and fix the EPS light wire but then it could be the EPS control unit or the EPS motor causing the issue. I think I'm going to treat it as a non EPS model and drive...its mechanically sound in every other way.
Mine was hard to steer without it but maybe I'm a wuss lol. If it don't bother you I don't blame you for not fixing it. Those big parts can get pricey.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh the rabbit hole I have gone down!

I have cleaned out all connectors from main harness and Power Steering Control Unit. I managed to "click" them all together and they seem like they are making a good connection. The bike starts fine, but still no EPS light. When driving in HIGH the REVERSE indicator light flashes steadily and there is no speed displayed on speedometer....there is NO performance degradation from the bike...it operates normally with the exception of the lights mentioned above. This could potentially be a speed sensor issue but I don't think so due to it working fine when Power Steering Control Unit is disconnected.

OK, lets go into diagnostics for the control unit. The bulb for the EPS indicator was toast so I replaced that and it lights up finally. Yesterday I disconnected the CDI and Power Steering control unit to clean all connections, once I connect it back up I'll go through the diagnostic routine to determine where the fault may be.

The Power Steering Control Unit looks to be pretty dirty...also looks like a seal around it might be compromised. Are these repairable? Think it would be ok to open it up and have a look?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I replaced the EPS bulb and I now get a light...finally diagnostic mode time. I followed the procedures outlined in the service manual but for the life of me I could not get any codes, the EPS light would stay on with no blinking. I disconnected and pulled the control module and resorted to the fact that this is not going to be quick fix. Out of curiosity I decided to open the control module to see if I could determine the issue. HOLY SH*T! See attached pics....I guess that's my problem!

Next plan is to test the EPS motor and torque sensor, if that checks out fine I will try and source a new control module used. Until then its regular steering...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
That's some nasty electronics you've got there. Think you've found the issue.

2016 Grizzly 700 le,
26 Bighorns on Stock wheels.
1 1/2" custom tip, EHS fuel controller.
1.5mm shim and Dalton Metallic Red secondary, 224 watt 12" LED bar.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Eh, bit of electrical contact cleaner should fix it right up! ;)

Hard to find used, only one showing on ebay...new its over $500.0 CA...oh well.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Nasty! Atleast now you know. Hope you do fix it cause Eps is amazing. Goodluck

1 - 15 of 15 Posts