Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in a situation where I am thinking of adding a front bumper, but have a short box on my pickup that I haul the Grizz in.

I haven't taken any measurements with the Grizz loaded, but I am very short of extra space for a front bumper. I think most of the rear bumpers I'm looking at will actually be over the top of the closed tailgate, but I worry about my rear window. :)

For that matter, if anyone knows what any OTHER bumpers add to the OAL for comparison puposes, I'd like to know.

I'm mostly thinking about (or order of preference) the SuperATV bumper, the Yamaha Heavy Duty bumper (that replaced the stock one, so I assume the difference there is minimal), the new style Moose Utility bumper and the Bison bumper.

In the end, my decision will probably rest on which bumper will still let me park my Grizz in the pickup bed.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Darth, not sure the exact measurements but i have the heavy duty nose from Yamaha on my 700. As u ll see in these pics it comes scary close to my glass. I ve got a F150 w/ 6.5 bed. I built this block, when i 1st bought it, 2 keep the nose from hitting the glass. I was thinking about getting the Super ATV bumper & asked a similar question. The review is no longer in here, or I probably just can t find it (maybe GEARSLAYER can help w/that). Anyway, someone in there has a similar wood set up as i do & says he has approx. 3/4 in. clearance. My set up is 2-3/4" sections of plywood glued 2gether w/a couple 4x6 s & 4x4s screwed on 2 it from the back. I have 26" Zillas on the machine & ,as u ll see, w/ every thing tied down, I can close the tailgate w/ no problem &, believe it or not, the machine does not touch the glass while driving. Even after slamming on the brakes a couple times! Of course if ur not worried about closing ur tailgate. Then just build the wood out a few more inches. BTW the reason I didn t get the Super ATV bumper was bcuz Yamaha gave me the factory one, along w/ the winch, 4 free. So when i beat up the original nose. I went ahead & put what i already had on. One thing also if u go w/the heavy duty nose from the factory & u have a winch. U ll have 2 pull the winch off the mounting plate. It ll go back on no prblem once u install the new nose. but the mounting tabs will not slip by the winch. Hope this helps!! Good Riden!!! :rocker:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts