Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed new Teracross tires and want to keep my 550 Grizzly peppy. I am pretty hands on for most of the work i need to have done on my vehicles. The clutch rebuild looks pretty easy. The spring looks sketchy w/o the compression tool. However, I don't want to update the clutch and lose my top speed b/c where we ride to do have some road time and I want to make sure I keep up. I don't need a wheelie machine. So I figured the exhaust would be good to complete the upgrade with the clutch upgrade to keep my power up with the new slightly larger tires.

Any suggestions would be great!! :grin2:

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Keep us posted. I haven't done any engine mods to my 550. All I've done is clutch work. So naturally I'm interested in your project. Goodluck!

Reactions: red_cbrf3

·
Registered
120 Posts
I just installed new Teracross tires and want to keep my 550 Grizzly peppy. I am pretty hands on for most of the work i need to have done on my vehicles. The clutch rebuild looks pretty easy. The spring looks sketchy w/o the compression tool. However, I don't want to update the clutch and lose my top speed b/c where we ride to do have some road time and I want to make sure I keep up. I don't need a wheelie machine. So I figured the exhaust would be good to complete the upgrade with the clutch upgrade to keep my power up with the new slightly larger tires.

Any suggestions would be great!! :grin2:
I bought a Purple spring and some shims for my 700. Tried the shims in different combinations but in the end just took them out. The spring has brought a lot back to my power. Not sure what spring would be good for the 550. I have a HMF titan and am waiting on the optimizer to see what that will do for me. I am in the same boat as far as riding conditions. Some of the logging roads can go on for miles and I want every bit of top end I can get. When I changed my spring I just used the rim trick and all went well .

·
Premium Member
2,205 Posts
I don't think the clutch mods take too much off the top end to worry about it even on road speeds. I'm happy with my wheelie machine at low speeds and still have plenty of top end to keep up with my buddies on fire roads. We ride more slow technical trails though most of the time.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Just one person's opinion but I feel any 550 with 26" tires can benefit from a 1mm shim. With the extra tire diameter the top speed loss will be minimal , and the off the line performance will be very simular to the stock 25" tires.

·
Premium Member
10,681 Posts
Thanks. With money not falling out of treesI want the best bang for my buck!
I suggest saving the money for the exhaust mod for now and go with C.V.T. mods. If you want the exhaust note to be louder, add a 2-R tip.
IF I had a 550, and went from tires 23.5"s true to tires 26"s true, I would damn sure buy a purple spring and 1.5 mm's of shim to install. I don't have a 550, but a couple local buddy do. Here at altitude, these mods helped with taller tires.
You could get away with the orange spring, but again here in the mountains the extra back-shift of the purple spring helps and saves the brakes.
THEN, if you don't like the top speed loss from the shim, do the COOP Mod#2 on your own. This mod is cutting the cam plate and restores top speed lost using shim.

·
Registered
800 Posts
What Ridgeway says is good advice. Take it. If you really want an exhaust I feel MBRP Sport is the best bang for the buck.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So just deal with the secondary spring. How about the weights in the primary.? Should I swap them too while I have it apart?

·
Registered
800 Posts
So just deal with the secondary spring. How about the weights in the primary.? Should I swap them too while I have it apart?
No way. Leave those alone.

Sent from my expensive phone using a fancy app

·
Premium Member
10,681 Posts
The shim magnifies the torque produced and the spring keeps the belt from slipping.
I recommend C.V.T mods one at a time for those learning what does what, so do the shim first.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am going to go with the purple spring.! Any suggestions on a cheap way to makeep a compression tool for the spring now??

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I am going to go with the purple spring.! Any suggestions on a cheap way to makeep a compression tool for the spring now??
Made mine in 20min out of what ever junk I had laying around the garage.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
With some shim and the Purple spring your grizzly should be a runner.
My 550 with 1.5mm shim and the EPI Orange spring was awsome! Between 2.75 to 2.8 initial ratio and a top speed of 57mph on gps. Spun an older set of 26"Mudlite XTRs without any issue.

In my case, while cruising around my engine was reving a bit too much for my taste, so ended up going from 16 to 18 gram weights.

·
Premium Member
5,697 Posts
If Ridgway goes on road trip this year, just invite him over for night or two, hold the light while he fixes your cvt system. Real easy. Anybody can hold the light.

Reactions: Diamondgator

·
Registered
800 Posts
If Ridgway goes on road trip this year, just invite him over for night or two, hold the light while he fixes your cvt system. Real easy. Anybody can hold the light.
Just make sure he has enough beer!
Seems to be his rule. Lol!

Sent from my expensive phone using a fancy app

·
Premium Member
5,697 Posts
Seems like a two beer primer, then a two beer job?

·
Registered
120 Posts
am going to go with the purple spring.! Any suggestions on a cheap way to makeep a compression tool for the spring now?? this is how I did it .

·
Registered
120 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts