Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2014 450 Is the exhaust tip with small opening required for back pressure. I know the spark arrester is required, but can the actual exhaust opening be as large as the muffler without harming the motor? I can fabricate a larger spark
arrester. Will it harm the motor if the Exhaust tip/spark arrestor is removed?
Thanks, Tom/Idaho

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Look up a 2r tip. Same thing your thinking and ran by many. I made one and used ss mesh as a spark arrestor, can't remember what size mesh. You may need to re-jet, it might run a little lean

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your advise. I will make my own and see what happens.

Did you have to lengthen the cables to add the 5" riser?

Thanks again, Tom/Idaho

·
Registered
71 Posts
Removing the stock exhaust tip might cause the engine to run a bit on the lean side. Louder too!! I used to do it to my atvs and dirtbikes as a teen before I knew about carb tuning. Never had any adverse problems. Research reading sparkplug. You can learn alot on how your engine is running by reading the plug.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Here's the one I made for my 550

No stretching needed since the bars are a lot shorter. The rox setup is barely taller than stock bars. A lot more comfortable than stock. Stock seemed good until I switched, didn't know what I was missing. This is the best picture I have right now

·
Registered
171 Posts
Does 2r tip gives anything good? Besides the sound

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
A little power when tuned right

·
Registered
171 Posts
So if į would just put tip on on mine grizz there would be No difference at all, except sound right?

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
You might notice a little gain. Some say they feel it, some don't. I personally wouldn't do it without a tuner but some do & say its ok

·
Registered
171 Posts
Well on mine 2007 i can adjust with pod mod IF this actually does something

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Yes, you can but that only affects the lowest portion of the range. A lot of people run the tip without the tuner, you'll just have to try it and see how it runs for you.

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
2014 450 Is the exhaust tip with small opening required for back pressure. I know the spark arrester is required, but can the actual exhaust opening be as large as the muffler without harming the motor? I can fabricate a larger spark
arrester. Will it harm the motor if the Exhaust tip/spark arrestor is removed?
Thanks, Tom/Idaho
You may run lean , Running lean is NOT good , running rich is much better.. Running lean will overheat your engine more.
Running rich will do less harm. I would recommend you go up a size or two with your main jet AND idle jet.. I do not have this bike so I do not have a recommendation..
most quads are sold running lean ,, so opening your pipe up is going to make that worse..
Get a high flow air filter , open pipe up , re-jet bigger , and if you do ALL ! this, you should gain some performance.. good luck !
:getrdone:

BTW , I run a 2R racing tip on my 2016 ,, and it even sounded lean , got WAY too hot ,and throttle response sucked ! I added a HMF optimizer (fuel tuner) and the difference was awesome ! the ping noise is gone , runs much cooler , and the throttle responce is nutz ! It revs up WAY faster , and pops the front up much better (wheelies) !

1 - 13 of 13 Posts