Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Well, more bad news.

Got my supposed bored to piston specs cylinder, piston, and gasket kit.

Well, the piston is great. Exactly what i ordered.

Buuuutttt....the cylinder wasn't bored well. Inconsistent cross hatching, hesitation marks where the tooling stopped, inconsistent bore diameter, piston rings not gapped. Just not good work.

In addition, the cometic gasket kit was replaced with a vertex kit.

So, so far, the good, kibblewhite head stud kit, hot cams mud buster cam, spal fan, cp piston.

The bad, "rebuilt" head. "Bored" cylinder, low quality gasket set.

I guess at this point I'm re evaluating how I go about this.

My original head will be gone through by a local machine shop, valve springs changed for the cam, my original cylinder will likely be bored to the next size up, and a more modest 10 ish:1 compression piston by je or cp will go in.

Should make some nice reliable power, and I'll get quality machine work.

Sent from my HD1907 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Should have my head, cylinder, piston, and sheave back by tomorrow.

Does anybody think I need to replace the cam chain? It doesn't seem problematic, but is it a weak point?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I went ahead and got a cam chain. Oe from Rocky mountain atv.

Thanks to Coop45 I have a nicely machined primary, and being a nice guy, he even helped me check the end gap on my piston rings.

Everything is looking great, just waiting on my head before reassembly.

While waiting on that, I decided I would modify my stock intake to take a clamp on uni filter.

Only problem is, I bought a 3" Spectre intake adapter and the darn thing is tapered or something. When I clamp the uni filter to it, any wiggling pops it right off.

I've gotta come up with some other way to adapt the filter to the airbox.

Guess I better go play around at the hardware store.

I'll also be installing this Spal fan today. That thing should go in smooth. Even looks like it has an oe electrical connecter.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Well, still waiting on my head..... But got the intake modded, spal fan installed, and installed the piston and cylinder.

Pretty much stalled at this point. But I do like this new filter setup. Should work nicely.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Head's back, and got it and the head studs installed. Next the cam chain and cam will go in but unfortunately I won't be able to get to it till next Sunday. Should have my exhaust around then.

Guess I just have to be patient.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Good to see your doing some real progress!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Replaced the cam chain today. Honestly don't think it needed it, original chain almost identical to the new one in length and flexibility. Oh well, peace of mind anyway.

Seems a small piece if the case that holds the bottom of the orange cam chain guide has broken off. Almost certainly my fault, as I think I rotated the engine and bound the cam chain up a little once. Didn't think I broke anything but there it is.

I found the aluminum piece, so it isn't hiding in the engine anywhere.

I don't believe it will be a problem, but would honestly like feed back. I would guess the tensioned cam chain likely won't let it move the only way that little retainer shelf would keep it from moving, which is towards the sprocket.

In other news, the inside of this engine case looks pretty nice and clean. No metal shavings or chunks of anything besides that aluminum piece.

Also, think I'll replace the woodruff key. Old one isn't the friction fit I would like. Also has a little marking on it. Figure I'll clean it up, get a new key, and put it in with some locktite sleeve retaining compound. The keyways don't look damaged at all, so should be good.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Doing research, it seems the chain guide seat being partially broken won't be a problem. Unless I throw a timing chain, but I think that event itself would do the damage lol

Honestly though, seems i can't get it installed to seat in that notch. Wonder what I'm doing wrong.

I'm sure I'll figure it out, but man it's annoying.

MBRP sport exhaust came in today. Hopefully get some progress on this before this weekend.

·
Registered
5,443 Posts
Doing research, it seems the chain guide seat being partially broken won't be a problem. Unless I throw a timing chain, but I think that event itself would do the damage lol

Honestly though, seems i can't get it installed to seat in that notch. Wonder what I'm doing wrong.

I'm sure I'll figure it out, but man it's annoying.

MBRP sport exhaust came in today. Hopefully get some progress on this before this weekend.

I'm looking forward to your MBRP muffler experience.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I am too. Bought specifically to get a chambered exhaust with spark arrestor that should flow more than stock.

So far, seems to be a pretty decent built system. Larger opening than stock by far. Seems about the same size as a 2r exhaust tip. Interestingly, it seems to do away with the OEM exhaust gaskets on the slip joint to the header pipe.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts