Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe I'm missing the obvious, but can someone tell me WHY synthetic winch rope requires an aluminum hawse fairlead? I can understand why you wouldn't want to use a chewed up roller fairlead that got that way from a regular cable. All the rough spots would fray the rope. But if a roller fairlead has brand new and smooth rollers, why can that not be used with synthetic rope? And just cause the manufacturers say to use an aluminum hawse fairlead is not a technical reason why.

·
Premium Member
10,158 Posts
Maybe the rope gets pinched between the ends of the rollers.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe the rope gets pinched between the ends of the rollers.
I thought about that but the roller fairlead has rollers on all 4 sides so I'm not sure how that could happen. Maybe someone has experience with that happening?

Forgot to mention the reason I'm bringing this up is I'm going to be using it for plowing. I would think raising and lowering in the same place would end up wearing a groove in an aluminum hawse.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
I bought a new Warn it was a XT 2500 in any case it comes with synthetic rope and a roller fairlead from the factory . You can use a roller just make sure its new . See below that's factory straight from Warn ( without the stopper I added that )

Reactions: wheelsquad

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I bought a new Warn it was a XT 2500 in any case it comes with synthetic rope and a roller fairlead from the factory . You can use a roller just make sure its new . See below that's factory straight from Warn ( without the stopper I added that )
X2 I have the same Warn on my 450 and it came with the roller fairlead. My understanding is you don't want to use a roller fairlead that has damage on it from cable line.

Reactions: wheelsquad

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks! I hadn't realized some were offered that way. Gonna let er rip then.

·
Registered
858 Posts
If you are going to use it for plowing you might want to look into getting a plowing fairlead with a larger lower roller. This one is made by Warn
[ame]http://www.amazon.ca/WARN-69373-Plow-Roller-Fairlead/dp/B000OV6DZG[/ame]

KFI also makes one with just a pulley
[ame]http://www.amazon.ca/KFI-Products-105270-Fairlead-Pulley/dp/B007ACY5V6[/ame]

Reactions: ThorsAx

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
I use a roller too ! But loose the caps !

I just wanted to mention ,, I do NOT use those little rubber caps that WARN gives you to cover up the connections that are on the winch (2) and the ones on the relay (4). The reason I don't is because they hold water/moisture and cause corrosion.. Eventually your winch quits or worse , burns out due to loss of contact , and voltage drop. They do look pretty ,I guess lol , but I prefer open air , and a squirt of oil now and then..
Any thoughts ?

·
Grizzled
3,559 Posts
Fill the rubber cap with dielectric grease and there is no room for water.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,790 Posts

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
Fill the rubber cap with dielectric grease and there is no room for water.
ya , guess that works too ... But dielectric grease tends to be a bit pricey... As long as they don't corrode than alls good !
:getrdone:

EDIT: On second thought ,, I drive my Grizz up and down a river , with flowing water , I wash my Grizz with pressurized water , usually just the hose , but occasionally high pressure at a distance. I don't think Dielectric grease is going to stay put , and most likely would wash away with time..? Slamming hard into a water hole would do the same ,, No? Yes it works great in sealed plugs to HELP with water resistance , but IMO its not the answer to save these connectors from corrosion... I could be wrong , but I'm going to stick with open to air , with a shot of oil every now and then.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Think I spent 4.99 on a tube that has lasted me no less the 3 years

·
Premium Member
10,158 Posts
No rubber caps here,

and no connection failure in 8 years.

Reactions: POHLHAMMER

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
Think I spent 4.99 on a tube that has lasted me no less the 3 years
damn ,,I have been getting robbed ,, paid $10 for a sm tube ,, gone thru 3 tubes between my 700 , and my 400 just this fall....

·
Registered
95 Posts

Lonerider, I like the looks of your winch saver, what brand is it, and where did you get it?

Thanks.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Definitely grease up the contacts.

This grease is $15 but so easy to apply.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Lonerider, I like the looks of your winch saver, what brand is it, and where did you get it?

Thanks.
Sorry I can't remember where I got it had it on my POPO as well so its like 8 years old . It says Winch Saver on it so maybe do a search .

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Remember Die Electric grease is not to be used directly on the terminals so many use it where its not intended to be used .

·
Grizzled
3,559 Posts
Remember Die Electric grease is not to be used directly on the terminals so many use it where its not intended to be used .
True, but for the context of the discussion on this thread, the grease is applied in the rubber cap and the grease touching the outside of the terminals doesn't impact the connectivity of the wire and terminal. So, someone might be a little confused at your above statement that the grease touching their terminals would be bad.

An insulator interrupting the direct current flow is what should really be the concern which is not the case when filling the rubber cap.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts