Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I set out to do this ride yesterday, but 2 miles in, my rear brakes locked up on me.
I had to loosen the banjo bolt, at the rear brake master cylinder, to get it to release the calipers.
Took it back home, and did a little research here on GC. Got a few ideas to try, and proceeded
forward. The fault, I believe, was mine. I had adjusted the rear brake pedal to give me a little
firmer feel on actuation, and I believe I set it just a touch too tight.
Bled both rear calipers, and readjusted the rear pedal cable, and tested it out this morning.
All seemed to be just fine, and I had no issues with it, on this afternoon's 53.25 mile ride.

I rode for just under 3 hours, at a pretty brisk pace. Had a great ride. Got to see a few places
I hadn't seen before, and a lot of wildlife was out and about, on this lazy Monday afternoon.

I chased a Whitetail buck down a trail, for about 35 yards, before he took to the woods.

Later, I saw the second Ozark black bear I've ever seen, from about 25 yards away,
before it turned around and disappeared into the woods. A healthy looking bear,
I would guess around 350-400lbs.

At the end of my ride, I was treated to my first sighting of wild hogs. A group of around 8-12, all
of various sizes, from piglets, on up to a couple of 250-300 pounders. The big hogs made sure the
young ones were safely on their way, before making their own departure.

I sorta wished I had a Go-Pro, to capture all of these chance encounters.

Anyhow, I'll continue on, riding my 2017 Grizzly in these here Ozarks, and beyond, and sharing a
few pics of my rides, from time to time. Thanks GC!

Big Piney Creek, N of Pilot Rock Mtn
Mocassin Creek and Indian Creek
Mocassin Creek and Indian Creek
Old Bridge
Old Bridge
Ozark Afternoon
Break In Completed @ 200mi

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,517 Posts
Looks like a great ride. In case you were wondering, your average speed during break in was almost 16MPH. That's a faster average than many over the life of their bike. Mine is more like half that as I ride with my inlaws and kids a lot. Might have to cross that state line and come ride with ya sometime. I like a spirited clip along the trail. I'll bring extra gas... It looks like you came close to finding the bottom of your tank. lol

Reactions: jeronimo

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
That's a beautiful area your riding in by the looks of those pic's, no wild hogs here in the woods in this area, few deer lots of lakes, thanks for the pic's keep them coming.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Great pictures! Thanks for sharing them.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Looks awesome man, I love taking off alone on the grizz and seeing wildlife, that's what its all about. Great scenery you got there.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks like a great ride. In case you were wondering, your average speed during break in was almost 16MPH. That's a faster average than many over the life of their bike. Mine is more like half that as I ride with my inlaws and kids a lot. Might have to cross that state line and come ride with ya sometime. I like a spirited clip along the trail. I'll bring extra gas... It looks like you came close to finding the bottom of your tank. lol
The GPS showed my average speed at 18.18mph, and average speed moving at 25mph!
58mph max speed reached. Recorded duration 2h55m45s, movement duration 2h05m39s.
I rode the piss out of the Grizzly on this ride. Most of the riding was on old logging roads,
and forest service roads. I usually prefer a more sedate pace, but I really wanted to get the break in behind me.
The fuel gauge is not very accurate, which I found out early on in riding the Grizzly.
It typically has quite a bit more fuel than the gauge indicates.
I carried a 1.5L Primus bottle full of gas with me on this ride, just in case.

okbear, I'm still learning the local trails, being a transplant from Blackwell/Ponca City, Oklahoma.
Nonetheless, I think it would be fun to get some GC members together for a ride here in the Ozarks!

Reactions: okbear

·
Registered
936 Posts
Nice ride! Just got my Wolverine to the 200 mile mark last week and had the break-in service done. I rode the pizz out of it to make sure it was ready for the service too. That scenery you have there is really something. You had better get out there and take down those hogs or there'll be more of them than you can count. Really, that's just another excuse to ride the Griz and shoot some ammo.

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,517 Posts
The GPS showed my average speed at 18.18mph, and average speed moving at 25mph!
58mph max speed reached. Recorded duration 2h55m45s, movement duration 2h05m39s.
I rode the piss out of the Grizzly on this ride. Most of the riding was on old logging roads,
and forest service roads. I usually prefer a more sedate pace, but I really wanted to get the break in behind me.
The fuel gauge is not very accurate, which I found out early on in riding the Grizzly.
It typically has quite a bit more fuel than the gauge indicates.
I carried a 1.5L Primus bottle full of gas with me on this ride, just in case.

okbear, I'm still learning the local trails, being a transplant from Blackwell/Ponca City, Oklahoma.
Nonetheless, I think it would be fun to get some GC members together for a ride here in the Ozarks!
I didn't realize you're an Okie! That's even better! How long were you in Ponca, OK before defecting to AR? lol

·
Premium Member
3,100 Posts
Nice ride and nice pics.

·
Registered
133 Posts
The fuel gauges on the 2016 / 17 is rubbish . i panicked the other day gauge read totally empty. Got home and dipsticked it and there was a good 2" of fuel still in there

Sent from my LG-V500 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The fuel gauges on the 2016 / 17 is rubbish . i panicked the other day gauge read totally empty. Got home and dipsticked it and there was a good 2" of fuel still in there

Sent from my LG-V500 using Tapatalk
Yes sir, that sounds about right.
I haven't run mine to the point it shows empty, yet. 0:)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I didn't realize you're an Okie! That's even better! How long were you in Ponca, OK before defecting to AR? lol
I grew up in Blackwell, OK, and a lot of my family lives in Ponca City, OK.
Lived in those parts the better part of my life.
The recession of 2008-09 caused the place where my woman and I were employed to close down.
We decided to start over, and ended up moving to Arkansas in the spring of 2010.
It was a good decision.

Mocassin Creek

Reactions: okbear
1 - 12 of 12 Posts