Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today I did my break in service on my 2015 grizzly 700. Changed motor oil, front diff and final drive. Filled final drive as the manual stated. Fill through the fill plug with check plug out. Waited until oil began coming out check plug. I took it for a ride and upon returning to the house I noticed that the final drive seemed hot. I never noticed it before but it may have been because I was checking over everything today since I just changed the fluids. It was a 16 mile drive total with various speeds. I did some searching online and found that it seems common but wanted some other input.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I am pretty sure its normal. I thought my f250 had a rear axle problem cause it would get so hot that i could hardly hold my hand on it. Turns out that is normal after a long hard drive pulling my trailer..

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would make sense to me. The final drive is what moves the quad forward unless its in 4x4 drive of course. It may have been like that before but I happened to notice it today since I was looking closer at drive since I changed oil.

·
Registered
678 Posts
When the gears wear in more and has more miles on it, it may run a little cooler then. They do run on the hot side though.

Reactions: apalya

·
Registered
385 Posts
When the gears wear in more and has more miles on it, it may run a little cooler then. They do run on the hot side though.
7,000 kms on my 07 and it still runs hot...

·
Premium Member
7,796 Posts
Normal.
The heat actually comes from the gears crushing the gear grease/fluid. Hypoid gears create extremely high pressures on the grease.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts