Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bike ran great.

First time riding it hard, and pretty much the first time riding any quad on a trail. Thankfully had a few hours of practice before heading out on our night trail.

Guys with me ride grizzly 660s and 700. One guy had a sportsman 570.

They were all a lot taller than me. With regards to ground clearance. All I have to say is thank goodness for skid plates.

I'm running stock suspension and STI Outback ATs. 25s. On delta steel wheels.

The guys I ride with like big horns.

What path should I take to get me a little more ground clearance with regards to large Rocky trails.

Thanks,

Moe

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
7,719 Posts
The 450's are geared very low so they will handle bigger tires without issue. My Queen ran 26" Reptiles on her 450.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I run true to size 26x9 bighorn knockoffs on all 4 corners of my 2011 450. Has no problem with those whatsover. I use low gear any time I'm doing slow putzy riding too just to be easier on my centrifugal clutch.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's funny. The guys with 700s old said, I never needed to put a quad in low gear once!

I found it great to go down steep hills. The engine breaking was great.

Also came in handy with going through some water and muck.

Does raising the height/center of gravity effect riding quality/tippyness.

I imagine 26 big horns aren't going to be that much different than my 25" STI's, but going to a 27/28 I would imagine would change the ride considerably.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
It's funny. The guys with 700s old said, I never needed to put a quad in low gear once!

I imagine 26 big horns aren't going to be that much different than my 25" STI's, but going to a 27/28 I would imagine would change the ride considerably.

Do you still have the stock tires on yours? If so, measure the height (or better yet measure the rollout). My stock "25's" were actually closer to 23's. So the true to size 26's made a huge difference. I didn't notice any decrease in stability when I went with 26's though, probably because the rims I put them on were all 5+2, probably similar to your Delta Steels.

·
Registered
2017 Kodiak 700 ESP SE
382 Posts

If you feel it gets tippy after changing to taller tires just add 1" or 1.5" wheel spacers behind each wheel. You may want to any way, they really help stability.

·
Premium Member
9,796 Posts
I'm glad you warned of knowing the true diameter, not just the stated size.

·
Premium Member
9,796 Posts
And to help protect the skid plate on my 660, I turned the shock spring tension all the way to max.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
26" tires won’t be tippy compared to your 25".

But 1" wheel spacers will add alot of stability

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I do not have the stock tires. I'm going to go measure the wheels now and see what the true size is of my current 25 inch tire.

I'm assuming you measure from the ground to the top of the tallest lug?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Right now I don't feel unstable on the machine.

The reason I bought the 450 was to stay below 44 inches which is the wheel well distance on my Chevy Colorado.

If after adjusting tire sizes, I could probably get away with a 1 inch spacer if I feel uncomfortable.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Again. It will be fine without

·
Premium Member
9,796 Posts
The best way to determine true diameter is to measure the roll-out. Put the valve stem down, mark the floor at the stem then roll'er one tire rotation to measure the distance between marks for the circumference.
Then put that into a radius calculator found here;
to know the exact diameter.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok just measured.

Tires are 24.5 inches top to bottom.

Not sure what psi they are filled at. Getting low psi gauge this week.

Bought the quad with the tires on it. Don't know their story. They didn't perform poorly yesterday. Just would like to eventually have a little more ground clearance to go over the rocks I encountered.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
And to help protect the skid plate on my 660, I turned the shock spring tension all the way to max.
No preload adjusters on our 2011 450's :(

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Shitty....

·
Premium Member
9,796 Posts
See....so a true 26" tire will will add 3/4".
Nobody I've ridden with has a 450, didn't know there was no shock adjustment, oh well.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts