Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will pickup a 2018 Kodiak 700 SE (grey)

Should i upgrade tires now,,,, replace tires before i leave dealer with bike,,,, or wait until i need tire

I would go with a 26x9x12 on front and 26x11x12 on rear

Bike to be used on a 126 acre property i own to do maintenance

·
Registered
800 Posts
The stock tires are fine for all around, the fact is, they are the cheapest tires the dealer could get in bulk. I would say use them up and then get a new set. No one is a huge fan of stockers. You won't get much from selling them and will have a hard time selling them. You just spent about 10k on it. Save a little money and get tires later.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
X2 on what @Grizzcrazy said. Especially if the usage is mostly utility work. An awful lot of folks get a lot of riding and work done on the stock tires. If you do a lot of technical riding, or higher speed trail riding, now that's a different story.

·
Registered
5,543 Posts
The stock tires are fine for all around, the fact is, they are the cheapest tires the dealer could get in bulk.
Stock tires got nothing to do with the dealer.
Stock tires are what the manufacturer decides to use.

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,518 Posts
Yep. And they’ll still charge out the a$$ for them just like everything else.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Yep. And they’ll still charge out the a$$ for them just like everything else.
Sorry guys. Never had something brand new. I have about 9,000 miles on my stockers. Should've been changed about 2,000 miles ago.

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,518 Posts
Will pickup a 2018 Kodiak 700 SE (grey)

Should i upgrade tires now,,,, replace tires before i leave dealer with bike,,,, or wait until i need tire

I would go with a 26x9x12 on front and 26x11x12 on rear

Bike to be used on a 126 acre property i own to do maintenance
I think the question that needs asked is what kind of property are we talking about? Will this be easy riding or do you have obstacles? Mud? Rocks? Sand? Steep hill climbs? The fact that you are doing maintenance is handy info but it’s gotta get ya to the spot ya need to work.

No. Don’t buy tires at the dealer. They can be had way cheaper online. And stock tires run an inch shorter that the stated height. So if you’re looking for true 26” tires, then yes you need to get tires. If that’s the case, let us know what kind of terrain we are talking about and we’ll get ya squared away. If you are just checking fence (or whatever) over flat land, then yes stock tires will work. If you plan to do much of anything else with the machine, I’d swap them for a quality tire. And the stockers will sell. I’ve sold plenty of them. In my area they can had for around 150 bucks. Probably 200 with the wheels.

Carry a plug kit and some method of getting air in a tire. This is always a good idea but it’s a really good idea if you’re running stock tires.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Will stay with the stock tire
Dealer will include a warn winch,fender protectors and foot pegs,kimplex rear cargo box and 2 ICON dark helmets ,,,
Thanks

Property is flat,,,also just picked up a new backhoe and 4x4 wrangler
Have worked as a mechanic for the last 40 years,just retired
Buying stuff as needed

Thanks

·
Registered
2017 Grizzly
352 Posts
It would make sense to use the tires that come with the rig, you can always change tread pattern/size at a later date, gives you time to shop around a little. My rig is more utility oriented for the property.
I have only had one puncture on stockers (branch through the sidewall hauling out logs) and had good luck overall with them and I do use backcountry a lot. If I start having failures then will do some shopping. J

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,518 Posts
Dealer will include a warn winch,fender protectors and foot pegs,kimplex rear cargo box and 2 ICON dark helmets ,,,
Thanks

Buying stuff as needed

Thanks
Congrats on the new machine(s) and also on retirement. Sounds like you’re about set.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Thanks

Buying stuff as needed

Thanks
congrats on the retirement. I'm counting the days. 6-1/2 more years!

·
Premium Member
10,658 Posts
Welcome from Colorado.
I vote for new tires as soon as the brown truck can get to you from R.M.A.T.V. (go with the O.G.'s)
I know the polls are closed, but use new tires now and put the stockers back on when you sell.
Who said we here on G.C. need to make sense? and $$$ were not in the O.P. :)

·
Registered
800 Posts
Hmmm. Ridgeway does make a good point. Might want to consider that. But go with DTD site sponsor. Also, I give the bighorns the have a long wear rating but @#$& they they are expensive. I went with Black Diamond ATRs. They are on they're way from DTD. Have a local shop put them on for the $10 a pop (so worth it) and ride on. I went with them for the good reviews, great price, and they look amazing.

·
Premium Member
2,202 Posts
Welcome to GC and congrats on the ride and retirement. I would go with new tires (I'm partial to Big Horns) but plenty of great choices on the market. You said it was to do maintenance on your property but once you start riding that new bear you'll probably be looking for some trails to tear up. The better grip and ground clearance will be worth the upgrade.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts