Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2012 Grizzly 700 with about 1500 miles

1/2 battery impact did not loosen the axle nut.

1/2 air impact successfully tackled the nut. Used a 1 hp carry-around compressor.

Disappointments

No grease fittings on ball joints or steering knuckle. I guess I can shoot some in with a grease needle.

No grease fitting on axle bearing.
Ball bearings used where tapered roller bearings should be used.
Bearing seals are totally inadequate.

Has anyone added anything like a mud slinger washer(s) or silicon sealer ? The existing bearing seals are really only good for keeping grease in . . . not water out (IMO).

I cannot believe the day of tapered roller bearings (with separate seals) on vehicles.has passed.

Are there any other 4-wheelers available with a better engineered design ?

·
Premium Member
692 Posts
Can't confirm anything about their engineering but I will say that I have over 7200+ miles on the original bearings on my 2013 700. My 2004 660 has 4500 miles with the originals as well. But then I don't do mudding either.

·
Registered
5,024 Posts
Roller bearings have been used as ATV wheel bearings since the first ATV was built. With the exception of Polaris, very few other ATV's used tapered bearings for wheel bearings. Polaris only installed them in models with McPherson struts, which is older models.
Outside of 2wd pickups, I haven't seen tapered bearings used in the automotive world in years. I know of no modern car that uses them for wheel bearings.

The roller bearings on our ATV's are very reliable and last for thousands of miles. If you use a cheap, China made bearing for a replacement bearing (All Balls for example), then shorter bearing life should be expected.

If you take one of the roller bearings apart and look at how it is designed, you will see that it is a superior setup to the tapered bearing setup for a wheel bearing application. And that's probably the reason why it is widely used as such.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts