Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Needed more storage for hunting and still have the ability to remove so i could store my 4 wheeler in the shed. Bought a 2" ATV receiver from Harbor Freight along with the ATV hitch hauler. Little welding and manipulating and here is how it came out. I didn't like the stability once the rack was done so i made a bar that slides over the bottom hitch so the support would be on the frame also. Due to the leverage i still wouldnt pack it with weight due to hills but it will help get my corn and stands around easier.

·
Premium Member
663 Posts
Nice, some of my buddies have them that slide into the 2" receiver with the rack having clamps that hook to the back rack of your Grizzly to keep it stable, their racks are not as big as yours with less leverage but seem to work great, I use a trailer for hauling the big stuff for hunting, but mostly can carry the smaller stuff in a plastic fish tot box that is mounted with my Ropax mount on my front rack.

·
Registered
2017 Grizzly
355 Posts
That is a big basket so a good job there, if you put too much weight on, you will have little steering. I have a pretty big basket that I made that is centered on the rear racks even then 1/2 of an elk will sure effect steering or going over obstacles.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Needed more storage for hunting and still have the ability to remove so i could store my 4 wheeler in the shed. Bought a 2" ATV receiver from Harbor Freight along with the ATV hitch hauler. Little welding and manipulating and here is how it came out. I didn't like the stability once the rack was done so i made a bar that slides over the bottom hitch so the support would be on the frame also. Due to the leverage i still wouldnt pack it with weight due to hills but it will help get my corn and stands around easier.

View attachment 98916 View attachment 98917
Looks good...

Also nice tires!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is a big basket so a good job there, if you put too much weight on, you will have little steering. I have a pretty big basket that I made that is centered on the rear racks even then 1/2 of an elk will sure effect steering or going over obstacles.
Yep, used it for the first time haulin deer. Shot a mature doe that weighed 100lbs. Threw my steering off on the trail making turns but man it helped. Especially haulin stand and stuff.
A little weight on front rack helps a lot but for climbing hills with no front weight it’s about max load. 150lbs on rack was too much. I tried hauling supplies and the front came up on the hill so I put 50lb bag of corn on front and left 100lbs in back and it worked. I’m about 240lbs myself

·
Registered
2017 Grizzly
355 Posts
Learned myself after a few almost whoopsies of having too much weight on rear, the bull elk I took out this week was balanced between the front and back, handled fine. Like the photo of my user name, when can will use an elk cart as a trailer of sorts. Trail riding here with rocks and steep stuff, try to keep from being too heavy in the rear.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts