Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 2004 Kodiak 450 with a broken frame. It rusted where the front control arm (or whatever that's called) attaches to and the whole chunk ripped right out. I found an old Big Bear 400 with a good frame I can have for free, no idea if it'll for or not yet as I haven't looked. My question for you is, how much trouble am I asking for here trying to replace a frame? Is it reasonably possible?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,006 Posts
If they are the same frames, then all you into is a mess getting everything back right.

·
Premium Member
9,006 Posts
If you are going to do this, I suggest a f.s.m. just in case as they are just a few bucks here..
https://www.tradebit.com/

And have a decent amount of space as you have to remove and set aside the outer layers of parts to get to the inside to start the swap. and taking pictures as you go might help toward the end.

·
Registered
70 Posts
If the rest of the frame on yours is good every where else , I second kodiakafishyo. Cut out the rusted parts on yours and match the good one to fit. Install a inner sleeve on the joints and weld. If not go to the dollar store and buy a bunch off paper lunch bags. When you remove bolts etc. label and put them in the bag. Good luck

·
Registered
124 Posts
If the rest of the frame on yours is good every where else , I second kodiakafishyo. Cut out the rusted parts on yours and match the good one to fit. Install a inner sleeve on the joints and weld. If not go to the dollar store and buy a bunch off paper lunch bags. When you remove bolts etc. label and put them in the bag. Good luck
If the rest of the frame looks like that I'd be inclined to replace the frame rather than cut and weld pieces from a "good" frame. A digital camera is a must and old egg cartons are good for keeping fasteners organized.
Also those parts diagrams at the parts outlets like Partzilla, etc. can be useful.

·
Registered
70 Posts
If the rest of the frame looks like that I'd be inclined to replace the frame rather than cut and weld pieces from a "good" frame. A digital camera is a must and old egg cartons are good for keeping fasteners organized.
Also those parts diagrams at the parts outlets like Partzilla, etc. can be useful.
Agreed, I said if the rest of the frame was good to replace the rusted part.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks yall, sorry for the delay I was making an island run to go get the wheeler. She's home now so I'm gonna get setup and do a good inspection. This 4 wheeler has been on an island on the coast for three years so I'm expecting the rest of the frame to be just as bad. Having said that, I have a really good welder coming tomorrow to take a stab at it. I'll take some pics and update the thread. I like the egg carton idea a lot, I can use the underside of the lid to write with a sharpie what's put in the divots.

·
Premium Member
2,120 Posts
Another idea would be to take it to a reputable machine shop and they could fix the broken spot and beef up the rest of the rusty spots. If you do have to swap them a little trick I use is buy the Ziplock Freezer bags that have the slide lock and place on the front to write whats in it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I got it up on stands and got the skid plate off, that whole bottom under the plate is gone. I guess that skid plate is holding salt/moisture/sand whatever close to the frame and just accelerated the corrosion in a big way, whole thing is just crazy crumbly. This is definitely looking like needing a new frame and no welding patches.

·
Registered
883 Posts
WOW!!! Not sure what you could even weld to on that frame. If I took the time to replace the frame, I would treat it internally with a rust preventor like Fluid Film and hope for the best on the next one.

·
Registered
5,024 Posts
That frame is done. Well beyond the worth of trying to fix it. If that much of frame is in that bad of shape, most of the rest of the frame is not far behind it.
In my opinion, replace the frame.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
WOW!!! Not sure what you could even weld to on that frame. If I took the time to replace the frame, I would treat it internally with a rust preventor like Fluid Film and hope for the best on the next one.

Yeah might try to see if I can find an aluminum frame if that Big Bear 400 doesn't fit. It'd be worth it not to have to do this again. Or if I can find a similar non-running model and slap my drivetrain in that.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts