Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

So my stator is fried and will replace it in the coming days. The shop where I am buying the stator recommends changing the regulator as well out of precaution.

I am doing a sanity check to see if its a common practice.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

·
Grizzled
2014 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
3,894 Posts
Nope. If your user name is telling of the bike that is off of, 2007 Grizzly 700, then a burnt out stator is not uncommon when that bike has its original stator cover (engine case). You could consider updating the stator cover with a 2009+ stator cover which has the additional oil cooling line forcing oil right at that stator area which is visibly burnt out.

When my 2007 Grizzly 700 stator burnt out, I did not need to also replace the regulator. I don't recall reading that others replaced their regulator either. If you ultimately do find the regulator needs replaced, it is very accessible and probably much cheaper to order online from an OEM part vendor and do it yourself. I can't see the regulator taking more than 10 minutes to replace.

Reactions: Ridgway81432

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The regulator seems fine based on basic voltmeter resistance check.Ill look at the case upgrade. The gasket looks aftermarket to me (but I am definitely no expert) so I wonder if perhaps the upgrade would have been done. Is there something I could look for on the case to see if it has been upgraded by the previous owner?

·
Grizzled
3,894 Posts
Yes. Look for the oil cooling line, circled in red, using this picture as a reference. I don't see the holes needed on the inside of your case but don't assume that as proof.

·
Grizzled
3,894 Posts
BTW, if you choose to go with an updated stator cover, use this thread as a guide - Stator replacement

Post #19 has good instructions.
Post #13 has the part list of what you'll need

One additional helpful item. In the picture above, where the wiring exits the stator cover and is held in place with that wire clip... make sure and use split wire loom at least in that location. My new stator wires rubbed through right there and I've noticed many others had the same issue.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts