Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Few weeks ago I went to ride with friends to the mountains, I did a post for the first day Climbing new mountains , a very though trail because the altitude and the distance to rode.
This one is for the second day, a more relaxing trail , riding in dry rivers, canyons in a scenic landscape.

With my friends we did the track using Google Earth , Garmin mapsource with the add of local off-road maps.

Photograph Ecoregion Rectangle Map World
Photograph Map World Terrestrial plant Slope

We did the last night in a cabin in the mountains , the dinner was a barbecue with a delicious wine from these lands .

Face Head Bottle Table Tableware

Window Fun Comfort Leisure Wood

As you can see, its not a luxury hotel, but is fine for us , that is the more near to the chilhood that a adult man can be.

In places like this, far from the civilization, in the nights you can touch the sky.

Atmosphere Sky Nature Atmospheric phenomenon Astronomical object

The ride was ok, we couldn't finished because some buddies didn't carried extra gasoline, and we did almost sixty percent the trails y everything was ok.

Here a few pictures and the video :

Wheel Tire Cloud Sky Plant community

Plant Plant community Bedrock Slope Vehicle

Sky Cloud Plant Automotive tire Helmet

Wheel Tire Cloud Sky Vehicle

·
Premium Member
12,259 Posts
No extra gas?
Did they think there was a town and gas stop along the way? or was the gas pump broken?

Reactions: Julio

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No extra gas?
Did they think there was a town and gas stop along the way? or was the gas pump broken?
Do you remember the movies when people do stupid things, and you say, not that its not possible !!!

We understimate how stupid people can be.

We did a track with the daily miles to ride, and how much gasoline to use each day.

·
Premium Member
12,259 Posts
I've been know to hide a few extra gallons on the Grizzly for other rides new to this area.

Reactions: reogem and Julio

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
Always look forward and enjoy your vids and pics Julio, thanks for sharing.

Reactions: wgc and Julio

·
Premium Member
2007 grizz 660 camo sold 2019 honda passport 2001 breeze 125
3,489 Posts
Great video and music to match

Reactions: wgc and Julio

·
Premium Member
8,877 Posts
I've been know to hide a few extra gallons on the Grizzly for other rides new to this area.
Do you remember the movies when people do stupid things, and you say, not that its not possible !!!

We understimate how stupid people can be.

We did a track with the daily miles to ride, and how much gasoline to use each day.
We always care 2.5 gallons on each machine in the cargo box. Long or short ride it's always there.
I kid non-believers that my gas could be worth $50.00/ gallon out on the trail.

·
Premium Member
12,259 Posts
Just out of curiosity as fuel consumption has come up, how much of your total trip distance was above 10,000 ft.?
I ask because around here I have ridden with several members on e.f.i. machines and higher than 10,000 ft. their bike's performance falls off quicker as compared to a carbed 660.
When Hammerhead was out a few years ago, we spent two days running his machine at higher elevations while preparing for the long day ride, we needed to determine the m.p.g. of his 700 after c.v.t. mods. His 700 was very consistent getting 20 m.p.g. at all elevations but lost pull as compared to the 660 I ride.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just out of curiosity as fuel consumption has come up, how much of your total trip distance was above 10,000 ft.?
I ask because around here I have ridden with several members on e.f.i. machines and higher than 10,000 ft. their bike's performance falls off quicker as compared to a carbed 660.
When Hammerhead was out a few years ago, we spent two days running his machine at higher elevations while preparing for the long day ride, we needed to determine the m.p.g. of his 700 after c.v.t. mods. His 700 was very consistent getting 20 m.p.g. at all elevations but lost pull as compared to the 660 I ride.
We did 25miles below 5900ft but with heavy load and fast as was possible , my quad is a Grizzly 550 EPS . It took 2,5 gallons

Later we went from 5900 to 14400ft and back, riding around 62 miles it took around 9 gallons . I think the consume was 20% over the normal consume in home.

·
Premium Member
12,259 Posts
I'm thinking you used low range during most of the trip.

·
Premium Member
12,259 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,259 Posts
If better miles per gallon ever becomes a priority for you, c.v.t. mods can make big differences in your 550 fuel range. I guess your 550 there is like 550's in this country, with the same engine specs. I did a 550 for a buddy a few years ago and as the 550 and 660 have damn near identical engine output, the mods for my bike worked just as well (up to a certain point) in his 550.
I say up to a certain point because, his 550 would not accept a much shim equivalent as the 660, but running his at the system limit, with my 660 also running the same shim equivalent both bike got the same results. The difference being when I added mods to my 660 his 550 couldn't accept, my m.p.g. increased to number the 550 couldn't achieve.
The best benefit from this was not needing low gear, even under heavy loads, on most terrain situations to get high fuel tank range. Also for this thread remember my area elevations are limited to 13,600 ft.....almost 2000 ft. low than this thread starter.
Then considering your trailer project last year, I bet you can do (have done there) the machining work necessary for the high ratio needed.
Oh.....and seeing all the wind in your high country a sail might be a mod to use there. That is going to be an interesting video :)

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If better miles per gallon ever becomes a priority for you, c.v.t. mods can make big differences in your 550 fuel range. I guess your 550 there is like 550's in this country, with the same engine specs. I did a 550 for a buddy a few years ago and as the 550 and 660 have damn near identical engine output, the mods for my bike worked just as well (up to a certain point) in his 550.
I say up to a certain point because, his 550 would not accept a much shim equivalent as the 660, but running his at the system limit, with my 660 also running the same shim equivalent both bike got the same results. The difference being when I added mods to my 660 his 550 couldn't accept, my m.p.g. increased to number the 550 couldn't achieve.
The best benefit from this was not needing low gear, even under heavy loads, on most terrain situations to get high fuel tank range. Also for this thread remember my area elevations are limited to 13,600 ft.....almost 2000 ft. low than this thread starter.
Then considering your trailer project last year, I bet you can do (have done there) the machining work necessary for the high ratio needed.
Oh.....and seeing all the wind in your high country a sail might be a mod to use there. That is going to be an interesting video :)
I going to investigate about c.v.t mods.

Near to the place where we climb, there are a dry lake where people use this sails "vehicles" to ride

Sky Cloud Mountain Sailing Mammal

Sky Glasses Vision care Window Cloud

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Here far from people, seems that God made the creation two days ago.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts