Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to see if i could get some help determining what i messed up my last ride.

We were all out riding and my friend got stuck so i pulled up behind him and pushed him forward through the hole. Now the bad part. i noticed i was high centered too (front end completely off the ground). I engaged diff lock, but dont remember if i saw the light stop blinking or not but i was about 1/3 throttle trying to rock it (unsuccessfully) when i heard a snap. At first I thought it was my axle and got my friend to pull me out. On dry land I confirmed it was not the axle, we got home and washed up and the next day all my front diff fluid was sitting under it on the floor. The fluid was coming from the front oil seal on the diff.

I have it on jack stands now, atv not on and engaged 4wd to spin the rear wheels to see if the fronts move. They all work correctly ie. holding the front left tire while spinning the rears makes the front left spin and same on the other side. Next i engaged diff lock and it operates properly.

My question is is there any thing i should check of do besides replace the front oil seal? I just want to ake sure nothing actually broke inside the diff.

Thanks in advance for any help!!

·
"Respect my authoratah"
3,354 Posts
When you drain the front diff look for fragments in the oil. Might give you a better idea if anything is amiss.

·
Premium Member
7,390 Posts
Hey...paul660grizzly..Welcome to GC from Wisconsin.
Try this with it on the stands put it in park and 4 wheel lock turn front wheel. Does it turn? Try to turn it very hard does it turn? If it does it could be that you stripped the front drive shaft or one of the couplings. Since you have fluid coming out the pinion seal. I'd look at that end more closely.

The front driveshaft is the weakest part on a 660 drive train.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you RedRocket and reogem for replying. I will definitely try both of these when i get home.

I looked at the video my wife had and noticed my front left was not spinning then all of a sudden it started turning. Looking at that it appears that the diff lock was not fully engaged then it caught while spinning. Would that indicate anything??

Thanks again

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So last night I drained the oil from the front diff and it had about a tablespoon of water that came out first then the fluid which was greenish and about as thick as syrup. I pulled both axles and going to remove the diff tonight.

Would it be a bad idea to split the diff open myself and look inside or should i send it off to get fixed? Never worked with diffs before but i consider myself very mechanically inclined.

Any tips or tricks that could help?

·
Premium Member
7,390 Posts
Thank you RedRocket and reogem for replying. I will definitely try both of these when i get home.

I looked at the video my wife had and noticed my front left was not spinning then all of a sudden it started turning. Looking at that it appears that the diff lock was not fully engaged then it caught while spinning. Would that indicate anything??

Thanks again
Could be that the servo is not locking it into 4wd check out our member and forum sponsor oleblue22 his site is 501 Parts.com Yamaha 4wd System Repair Parts & Service

So last night I drained the oil from the front diff and it had about a tablespoon of water that came out first then the fluid which was greenish and about as thick as syrup. I pulled both axles and going to remove the diff tonight.

Would it be a bad idea to split the diff open myself and look inside or should i send it off to get fixed? Never worked with diffs before but i consider myself very mechanically inclined.

Any tips or tricks that could help?
If you have a service manual and the tools.
You will find a service manual on oleblue22's site also.

I would say just need to be flushed out and then replace all the seals. The servo possibly needs some attention.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Below is a youtube link to the video of it breaking, i pull up at the rear. Look for the snap and the handle snatch left

1 - 8 of 8 Posts