Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently purchased a 2013 YFM450FWA it has 3900km and about 150hrs. I did a brake service on the front end and noticed that the front left wheel rotates smooth as silk and the front right kinda binds almost like a bad bearing or the ring and pinion gear being meshed too tightly. Because of this I took the drive shafts out to see if it was a wheel bearing. It was not the bearing but was for sure in the diff. I took the front diff out and once out and the driveshaft was disconnected everything was smooth. So the roughness felt is only when holding the input shaft so that it can't rotate and then trying to turn the front right cv shaft. The question that I have is... is this a normal "feel" when the machine is in 2x4? I hope I explained this correctly. Thanks in advance for your responses.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
The clicking on the right wheel is perfectly normal. It's actually always connected to the rear wheels and your are hearing the spider gears doing their job inside the differential.
The left wheel will feel smooth until you engage your 4wd.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The clicking on the right wheel is perfectly normal. It's actually always connected to the rear wheels and your are hearing the spider gears doing their job inside the differential.
The left wheel will feel smooth until you engage your 4wd.
Thank you for this response. This confirms what I suspected. I can now reinstall my diff.

·
Premium Member
9,776 Posts
Welcome from Colorado.
First time I remember anyone removing that much stuff before asking.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I knew there was more to the story but also wanted to figure it out. Also we are in self isolation so I have time....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts