Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

Fuel octane ?

22K views 20 replies 16 participants last post by  jvictory1974 
#1 ·
Was wondering who uses a higher octane fuel in their atv and does it make any noticeable difference ?

#3 ·
I just run regular old corn free 87. Never a problem.

#5 ·
I have always ran supreme. I ran "high test" gas years ago in all my small engines........(seemed to work better then).........still do, don't know why, just do.

#6 ·
Non-Ethanol, 87 octane.

#7 ·
Yup, ya just gotta try it and see how your machine responds where you live. Mine runs like garbage on higher octane but just fine on regular. I've read that a some guys like 93, me it's 87. :happy2:

#8 ·
Pure gas 87 for me.

#9 ·
Higher octane is for higher compression engines to stop pinging.

It slows down the detonation is all. it has nothing to do with like explosiveness / power of a gas if that's what your thinking.

These stock motors are 9:1 compression so 87 regular is fine for that compression rating.

Avoiding Ethanol if possible is actually more important for performance than anything.

@ 11:1 compression of my wiseco in my bike its recommended 91 octane to stop pinging that's the only reason.

It's the extra compression itself that gains the HP in the high compression motor it needs higher octane so it doesn't break due to too fast of a explosion, it has nothing to do with the higher octane gas being more explosive itself.

It gives the gas time to expand when detonated due to more compression and less top stroke cylinder clearance.

One thing i do know however is shell for example doesn't put ethanol in their 91 premium here in canada although its getting harder and harder to find ethanol free gasoline now a days.

#10 · (Edited)
Exactly.
The oil companies marketing departments have done great job in tricking people into thinking higher octane fuel is better quality or makes more power or gives better gas mileage. Neither is true of course.

#15 ·
They also have an app for your phone so you can find ethanol free while traveling.

#12 ·
Also while were on this. I feel ethanol is just a way for the government to subsidise farmers into producing it.
It doesn't work as advertised and has caused issues in motors and also doesn't burn as well as just pure gasoline.
Just another Scam that was globally falsified and miss reported to sell to the people.

Reactions: wheelsquad
#13 ·
Non-ethanol 93 Octane Shell fuel here. My grizz runs the same with 87 or 93 but I can't get the 87 non ethanol around here anymore. Ethanol is the enemy to anything rubber (hoses, seals, etc) so I run no-eth in everything I own. Your engine doesn't run on alcohol!

#17 ·
Regular Unleaded fuel is just fine, it's worked great for me.
If you got money to burn on Premium fuel go for it but not required.:smile2:

#18 · (Edited)
Higher octane fuel does not slow down the fuel burn, it raises the pre-ignition point of the fuel. Once ignited, it burns at the same speed. Also, some fuel suppliers add more detergents into their higher octane fuels. But not all of them do that and it's impossible to tell which ones do unless you contact them. I know Chevron used to but I don't know if they still do.

DEWFPO

#19 ·
Shell's V-Power uses an additive package that helps to reduce some of the negative side effects of ethanol but it still can have up to 10%. Additive packages are funny, folks in the know hold onto that info like its a Unicorn that rides a golden grizzly! I only know first hand about Shell's products since I'm a wholesaler for them. The Shell branded non ethanol in the NC area is actually a 90 Octane but it's twice as expensive, and a lot harder to get from the terminal, as Shell's "lesser" brand of Premium non ethanol (Union 76). If I have to use regular fuel with ethanol I usually add the correct amount of Marine Sta-Bil (fights ethanol) or some ArchOil Fuel Modification additive. That stuff is awesome for diesels btw!!!!!!!!!!!!

#20 ·
I keep wondering which route I should go. I typically run 87 in it lately, because even with a tuner, I have a bear of a time with decel backfiring if I run 91. However, like tythomps said, 'round here 91 or 93 is the only thing with no ethanol. So i'll probably switch over to that comes late fall, as I don't run it much if at all in the winter.

#21 ·
I run corn free 87 , tried the higher octane fuels but felt no performance difference. I guess I'm lucky cause round here ethanol free gas in all grades are easy to come by.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.