Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got my grizzly 700 all put back together tuesday evening. It's been starting and running fine after the head swap I had to do because of bad leaking valve guides.
I finally rode it around the yard for about 5 or 10 minutes and pulled back into the garage. Cut it off and went in house to get my wallet with intentions of riding it to the local store for a gas fillup. When I got back on it and tried to start it, it started at first but when I went to give it gas it died. I restarted it and it kinda sputtered a little and then died again.
Now it won't run at all. It turns over but won't start.
I've checked lean sensor, crankshaft position sensor. Did the fuel injector diagnostics check and can hear the fuel injector pulsing. I don't hear the fuel pump running when I turn on the key so I removed the fuel pump connection and checked it.
I have 5 volts across the two striped wires and almost 11 volts across the black and red wire which I'm assuming goes to the pump. Anyway I have voltage but the pump still won't come on. Before doing the voltage test I removed the fuel line from the top of the tank and ran a different hose to the top of the tank and down to a jug to see if fuel was coming out of the tank, and it's not.
The most confusing thing is that it was "just" running fine. And now it doesn't.
I'm almost convinced it's the pump but not sure how to check it.
I thought about running 12 volts directly to it but after checking the connection it seems that it's getting voltage and just not running.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Ray

·
Premium Member
8,130 Posts
Do you have a FSM? At the fuel pump the red with a blue strip wire provides the fuel pump power. With the pump connected back probe the R/B wire with the + meter probe - connect to ground. You will need to turn the key off then on to read the voltage. If your battery is full charged it should be 12v. Check the fuse and relay.

Reactions: Vincent

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you have a FSM? At the fuel pump the red with a blue strip wire provides the fuel pump power. With the pump connected back probe the R/B wire with the + meter probe - connect to ground. You will need to turn the key off then on to read the voltage. If your battery is full charged it should be 12v. Check the fuse and relay.
Thanks man, I will try that tomorrow. So, if it checks to have the 12v coming to the pump, but no fuel coming out of it I would assume the pump is bad? I can hear the pump in my Suzuki motorcycle when I turn the key on but have never really noticed hearing the pump on this grizzly.

Thanks
Ray

1 - 3 of 3 Posts