Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
14 grizzly 700 SE problems. Please, please help. Starter relay blew the fuel pump fuse, subsequent the display. Changed that, display is back. Fuel pump still will not prime. Changed the fuel pump RELAY, still nothing. From what I gather, the Relay is not getting the signal to close the circuit and provide power to the FP, as I can trick it with my tester to close and she fires up and runs until I pull my tester.

I cannot get the dash to go into DIAG mode, followed the instructions, held buttons for 30 sec. So I need help. I'm investigating the Lean Angle Sensor now....

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Unless their is a way I haven't heard of yet, you can't get to the diag. mode on the newer models, you need a Yamaha diagnostic tool. I dont know what year it changed but I'm pretty sure it was prior to 14. My 15 won't pull it up. The 2014 manual only gives instructions for the diagnostic tool.

I don'thave access to the shop manual right this second but I think your on the right track with the lean sensor. Probably worth looking at the kill switch too.

·
Premium Member
7,390 Posts
Hey..MoDaddy62..Welcome to GC from Wisconsin..

I have a 13. I'm guessing they are the same.
Do you have a service manual? if not you should have one.
There isn't a dedicated fuel pump fuse or relay. They is a fuel injection system fuse and relay. Are those the ones that you tested and or replaced?
There is a feed back diode in that circuit is it good?
Where did you connect the meter to trick the fuel pump to run? Wire location and colors may help.

·
Registered
389 Posts
The ECM grounds the blue wire with red tracer on the the fuel pump relay. This prime is only for two seconds when the key is first turned on. The relay is fully activated only when the ECM sees an rpm signal over 150 rpm.
The lean angle sensor must be over 3 volts or it will shut down the system.
You can bypass it for testing by jumping the blue wire to the yellow with green tracer.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The fuse on the starter relay supplies power to the display thru a flat piece of copper o.k. the terminal going under the fuse. That blew so I replaced. The red/blue wire from here runs to a relay on the pass side. Changed that relay. Still No power too the FP. If I probe the center of that relay and make the connection the fuel pump comes on and I can start it and out runs until I remove the probe.

I'm an auditor by day so y'all please bare with me. Lol.

Just tested the lean angle sensor and its reading 0.38. Ideas....?

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Lean sensor must be good, overhill said it shuts it down under 3 volts.

Your in good hands with him around.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Hoping I'm not facing a $400 ECU
REREAD WHAT I POSTED. After two seconds, the ECM does not ground the relay until it sees an rpm signal. when you were probing, you sent the relay a ground through the test lamp. test it within two seconds of turning on key and while cranking.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I wish I knew. The day after an awesome mud ride I turned the key on and a loud pop happened about 1 sec during the cycling. That was the starter relay's fuse and copper ring blowing completely off and the fuse legs in half.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I wish I knew. The day after an awesome mud ride I turned the key on and a loud pop happened about 1 sec during the cycling. That was the starter relay's fuse and copper ring blowing completely off and the fuse legs in half.
That had to be a dead short to ground. it would not be corrected by installing a new fuse. what else occurred before the fuse blew?

·
Registered
389 Posts
Let me get this straight.. You replaced only the fuse and FP relay and now the fuse doesn't blow. Do you still have the old relay? Did you check the blue wire with red tracer on the the fuel pump relay To see if you are getting a ground when cranking? Are any of the terminals in the FP relay connector burnt? Do you hae voltage to the brown/black annd red/black at FP connector with key on?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes sir, replaced complete starter solenoid including the FP fuse, then replaced the FP relay because i had power to the relay but no power to the pump and if I probed the center of the relay the pump will prime and bike starts.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Also, no burnt terminals on the FP replay and no power to the red/black at the FB, the Brown/Black I will have to double check, I think so as this sends the fuel level back to the display I believe, which is working.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I checked and replaced every fuse in the small black box to be on the safe side. They all tested good, just wanted to be sure. I've pulled the 2 40amp green fuses next to the black box, those look and test good.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts